"Gaming in Color", a Kickstarter Documentary on LGBT+ Gaming

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
[HEADING=2]EDIT: The kickstarter has been funded, barely. Thank you all for your attention.[/HEADING]

Gaming in Color is a kickstarter-based documentary about LGBTQ+ people in gaming, that aims "to take a closer look at the challenges and the growth of these communities in the gaming world." It seeks to bring an oft-ignored demographic of gamers to the fore. In their own words, "we'll be documenting the experiences of LGBT and women gamers/game developers to introduce perspectives you may not have seen before."

Their point is delivered succinctly and with a bevy of emotional weight, when they say that "[m]illions of fans comprise the gaming industry, but many of them remain unrepresented within the media they love." I couldn't have phrased it better myself.

As for the lofty target goal ($50,000), the documentary creators assuage any concerns as to how it will be spent:

"While its certainly possible to make a small indie film on a much tighter budget, our current goal of $50,000 is actually pretty constricting. After taxes, funding costs and cuts, we'll be spending a lot of our own resources in making the film. Fortunately we have a large group of people eagerly helping us with the donation of time and equipment and so even on a budget the film will definitely be running."

This documentary can definitely become an inspiration for future game developers and even whole companies, as they shine a light on the issues of these oft-neglected demographics. It's important that these type of documentaries get made; we are not always privy to what happens to the people outside of the spotlight, and their stories can range from disheartening to bewildering to truly inspirational.

So I leave you the link to the kickstarter, for anyone interested in learning more about it:

Gaming in Color [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamingincolor/gaming-in-color].

Thank you for your attention and please, let's try our very best to keep civil.

[HEADING=3]Also, I didn't think I'd need to say this, but this isn't something that aims to censor, content-control, enforce quotas or otherwise restrict the freedom of artists/creators. This project's aim is to document experiences and serve as an educational tool.[/HEADING]

EDIT:

Schadrach has made an excellent post on KickTraq (regarding this project) here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.407124-Gaming-in-Color-a-Kickstarter-Documentary-on-LGBT-Gaming?page=2#16975947], to assuage further concerns.

EDIT 2:

If you are going to say something about PCness, quotas, censorship or anything of the sort, please read this post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.407124-Gaming-in-Color-a-Kickstarter-Documentary-on-LGBT-Gaming?page=3#16985170] first.

If you are going to say something about this documentary's "point" or "need", please read this post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.407124-Gaming-in-Color-a-Kickstarter-Documentary-on-LGBT-Gaming?page=2#16982229] first.

Thank you.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Seems kind of cool, but I'd be more interested if the documentary had a wider scope. Frame the narrative so that we see it isn't one particular group that has problems, but that the gaming community as a whole just isn't very accepting of anyone outside the norm (homosexuals, women, squeaky English children,etc.)

If they're going to focus strictly on homosexuals I'd think it would just be full of obvious arguments. I mean, basically they just deal with the same shit while playing games as they do in every other aspect of their life. Though, I suppose it would be interesting to see how they set up those cons and gaming groups.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
Fappy said:
Seems kind of cool, but I'd be more interested if the documentary had a wider scope. Frame the narrative so that we see it isn't one particular group that has problems, but that the gaming community as a whole just isn't very accepting of anyone outside the norm (homosexuals, women, squeaky English children,etc.)
While the main focus does seem to be the LGBTQ+ community, they do mention women and other marginalised groups as well, so it's possible that there might be some testimonials of non-LGBTQ+ people.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I feel like people are far to politically correct on games, they should just learn to enjoy them instead of kicking up a fuss their group isn't pandered to.

I'm not dissing gays or women or whatever, but look at the popular threads on this site. There is more bitching about issues than people talking about how much they love games.

Auron

Mar 28, 2009
Fappy said:
but that the gaming community as a whole just isn't very accepting of anyone outside the norm
Isn't the gaming community inherently toxic towards everyone inside and out the norm? Assholes and trolls will try to annoy you no matter who you are.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
TehCookie said:
I feel like people are far to politically correct on games, they should just learn to enjoy them instead of kicking up a fuss their group isn't pandered to.
Please, do elaborate on what part of any of this colourful, positive project is in any way "kicking up a fuss". Do you see an angry tone anywhere on the kickstarter page or the video?

Because the worst that I see is a neutral, dispassionate tone (and even that is very sporadic), really.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Auron said:
Fappy said:
but that the gaming community as a whole just isn't very accepting of anyone outside the norm
Isn't the gaming community inherently toxic towards everyone inside and out the norm? Assholes and trolls will try to annoy you no matter who you are.
True, but I think there is an inherent difference between generic trolling/flaming and being harassed for a fundamental aspect of your identity on a constant basis. If you're just some average white guy you'll be harassed for different things every day. If you're a woman and people know that they will immediately start ripping into because of that fact. Both are obviously bad, but I'd think one is markedly worse because you are being harassed for something that actually has some basis in reality.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Darken12 said:
TehCookie said:
Please, do elaborate on what part of any of this colourful, positive project is in any way "kicking up a fuss". Do you see an angry tone anywhere on the kickstarter page or the video?

Because the worst that I see is a neutral, dispassionate tone (and even that is very sporadic), really.
When did I say the OP was? Just wait a few pages for it to set in.

EDIT: Called it.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Cool I suppose but I wouldn't imagine any issues brought up in this documentary wouldn't just be universal problems that apply to every group. If anything I would say there are less issues cause I don't think I have ever met a gamer who even gives a crap about whether people are gay or not unless they themselves are gay. That isn't to say there isn't anybody out there I just always got the impression that generally when you are in a group outside the norm you generally don't criticize other things outside the norm cause you are already outside to begin with yourself.

The documentary will prolly be about the lack of representation of those groups and we all know why so pointing it out doesn't really do anything and really the movements are about being treated the same and not as outsiders so making a deal about it only further pushes the idea that they are different and should be treated differently. Really it shouldn't matter what race, sexualities or genders are in the games if we are all supposed to be treated the same. If people care though the only way to see it happen is to show there is a demographic to cater too the only problem is if we are all the same we should all be the same demographic to begin with.

It all comes down to the fact that we will all be better off when people let go of these arbitrary labels and groupings and that goes for everyone.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
I really, really don't see the purpose of this documentary, why are they asking LBGT people specifically about their experiences with games as if we have some special insight?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
perhaps it's because my gaming experinces are largely solitary experinces these days, I'd find it hard to believe a member of the Rainbow Armada having a more radically different experince playing Hotline Miami than my own.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
JazzJack2 said:
I really, really don't see the purpose of this documentary, why are they asking LBGT people specifically about their experiences with games as if we have some special insight?
This .

This seems like an excuse to talk about feelings and rainbows and ponies . Seems pointless . But whatever floats ur boat.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Is it just me who wonders why the f*** it matters what sexuality people playing games are? What exactly is the meaning of this documentary? Beyond perhaps looking at the prevalence of LGBT characters in games and their portrayals...I really couldn't care less how many gamers are LGBT. It's like looking at black people gaming. Irrelevant. And you say it's important that it be made...to inspire people? Please.

And to those saying the gaming community is hostile to anything unusual or different to a greater extent han regular society, I counter with this site. It's funny how so many tolerant people can ***** about intolerant people within their own demographic without looking around. As far as I know, those who don't like homosexuals are a minority themselves.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
What about dwarfs? Everyone is doing documentaries about anything these days, is there really that much that can be said about that topic and is it really that important? I know that it sure isnt a perfect world but that applies to everyone and everything, the white heterosexual male isnt living in some kind of utopia while everyone else is target of prejudice.

And like others already said, games really arent exactly the place where being a LBGT person gives a diferent perspective over the content of the game (with some minor exceptions when games deal with sexuality, being that a really small part of it)

EDIT: Oh, and since this is indie and related to games the a NES or SNES controller must be present in the poster, as is tradition

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I see no harm in what this does, like it or not, there are a lot of people who make it hard for others to enjoy this hobby. So when that happens, people seek out those who are alike and form groups to enjoy the activity and be comfortable with what they are doing, and they have every right. The more awareness of this sort of thing, and the better the situation gets, one day we can all be comfortable in gaming together.

I cannot wait for the day when majority of gamers are those that have fun, enjoy the hobby and don't hassle anyone due to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or anything else that some people consider "different" and don't understand.

I hope one day we can all get along and have fun with our games, because that is what the hobby should be about!

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
This is clearly someone else exploiting and cashing in on the current trends. They've seen that Anita got away with it and now they're going to try. After the Veronica Mars Kickstarter I have realised that people will give money to anything as long as they are promised something good.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TehCookie said:
Except that's not really what people tend to be doing.

JazzJack2 said:
Not as if we have some special insight, as if we are treated experientially different from the majority. This is established right in the description of the kickstarted, though I'm paraphrasing.

MeChaNiZ3D said:
Is it just me who wonders why the f*** it matters what sexuality people playing games are?
It shouldn't, but the fact remains people will make it an issue.

And to those saying the gaming community is hostile to anything unusual or different to a greater extent han regular society, I counter with this site.
This is one site which is surprisingly tolerant. LGBT folk are even surprised to find others around here because of how toxic the community is. Look at just about any thread on sexuality or gender identity, and you see a bunch of people who are outright shocked. This is not because they are unobservant but rather because this site is an anomaly. And even then, we see complainers in every single thread on the subject.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
TehCookie said:

I'm not dissing gays or women or whatever, but look at the popular threads on this site. There is more bitching about issues than people talking about how much they love games.
Agreed 100%, people need to get back to enjoying their hobby and less time playing pc. I agree if there's a specific case where its overboard then make a complaint, but this is going too far. We will get to a point where everything is boring due to fear of offending anyone if these pc groups get their way.