Gaming In Color Documentary Explores Queerness in Games

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
irishda said:
ayvee said:
Deathfish15 said:
It's not "LGBTQ", it's just LGBT as in Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transvestite. The "Q" they try to attach means "queer" which is in incorrect, rather bile word.
Queer by definition is:

1 affected with nausea
2 different from the ordinary in a way that causes curiosity or suspicion
3 noticeably different from what is generally found or experienced
4 having extreme or relentless concern
5 being such in appearance only and made or manufactured with the intention of committing fraud
6 giving good reason for being doubted, questioned, or challenged

That word itself was placed on homosexual individuals because it's a synonym for 'weird' (#2) but in a way that was also used to demean. It's the same as calling someone a "******" to call them a "queer", just generally insulting and all around foolishly ignorant.

This videos lack of knowledge about such as simple thing leads me to believe it's nothing more than a cash-in on a subject that's rather touchy for some and very "in the now" as far as the media is concerned. I piss on the website's ignorance of such things.
Er. I'm not sure where you've been, but the word queer has long since been "reclaimed" and is an extremely common self-identifier that is used more or less interchangeably with LGBT. A lot of people do choose not to use it because of the history of the word, but your information is very outdated.
Just seems redundant really. If queer is interchangeable with LGBT, then why does it needed to be added to the acronym? Isn't it just shorthand?
Well there's more to it, I was just trying to be concise. Queer is a more intentionally ambiguous word and has some other application for (mostly) that reason.