Gaming keyboard & mouse

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
I've had a Razer Deathstalker for about 8 months and a Razer Naga Epic for approaching two years now and both of them have started to pack in. The keyboard just acts as though the Enter key is constantly pressed down and I've done everything I can find on the internet and everything Razer told me to try to no avail. Razer have asked me to post it back to them for a replacement but frankly, given the fact that this thing is only 8 months old and my mouse has been double clicking constantly since about two days after the warranty ended, I'm not really thrilled at the idea of paying for ridiculous postage to Germany to return this keyboard. I've totally gone off Razer products (except the mouse mats, they're pretty nice).

So, I come to you lot today looking for suggestions for a new gaming keyboard (mechanical preferred) and a new mouse (only real requirements being two buttons for clicking, a mouse wheel and ideally those page forward/back buttons whatever they're officially called).

My budget is probably about £150 for both but there is some flexibility in that - though nothing too out there please!

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
I did a fair bit of research before I decided on the Corsair K70. It's a bit pricey (going for about £95 on eBay) but it's super nice. I mean the thing is made of aluminum. The keys are also built out in a way that looks unusual at first but doesn't trap dust and such as easily as most keyboards do. There's also a variant with macro keys (K95) if you're into that.

My current mouse is a G700 which goes for as low as £45. It's wireless so that's nice if you're into that but you can also plug it in with a standard USB mini cable to power and charge and it uses a standard AA rechargeable battery which is easily replaced. It's got two layers of those backy forwardy buttons (four total) on the side plus a few others scattered around (all customizable). I mostly got it because my last mouse was a bit lower so my palm would rest on my desk a lot harder which made is sore after a long time - not as much of an issue now. Battery life is a bit short (have to plug it in every day or two) but I'd still recommend it, though considering your requirements there are plenty of much cheaper alternatives that should suffice.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Well, I'd go for a Logitech G602 mouse. I'm considering buying it as a worthy upgrade to my G9, which has served me faithfully for nearly 6 years without fault.

Couldn't really say about the keyboard. I've been using a Logitech G15 for some 7 years now and I prefer it over some mechanical Razer stuff I've tried. But I expect there are better options out there by now.

Rolaoi

Nov 10, 2013
For a mouse, you're best bet is either the Zowie FK or Logitech 400. Both mouses are highly accurate and can have their DPI set to your preference.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-G400s-Optical-Gaming-Mouse/dp/B00CJAEX70/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392285961&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+400+mouse
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ZOWIE-FK-Pro-Gaming-Maus/dp/B00CFL6AFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392285931&sr=8-1&keywords=zowie+fk

The Zowie is more expensive, but I like it a lot more. It's also ambidextrous, which is nice to have at times. The G400 though, has the benefit of having three DPI buttons on the top: one for going up, one for default, and one for going down. That's compared to the Zowie which has one on the bottom of the mouse which can only cycle through.

As for a keyboard, I suggest looking for a mechanical keyboard with either Cherry Black or Cherry Red switches. Try to avoid rubber switches as they're too easy to accidentally press. Red switches are generally regarded as being of a higher quality than black, but both are good for gaming. Brown switches are nice as well, especially if you're playing a game which requires typing in commands or for communication.

Here's one in your budget from Corsair with Cherry Red switches. I'm a little iffy about the small number of reviews, but they're all positive and it's from Corsair which tend to make good products. There are better ones out there with a solid reputation, but they would be creeping over your budget limit if you include in the mouse.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CH-9000040-UK-Vengeance-Performance-Mechanical/dp/B00DOTQ15M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392286307&sr=8-4&keywords=cherry+red+keyboard

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Not sure about mice, but I got the CM Storm Trigger keyboard (Brown Switch) at Christmas, and I'm really impressed so far - it's not too noisy, the tactile feedback is good, even the lighting system is decent (you can change it with about two keypresses, and if you don't like full illumination you can just leave WASD illuminated). And it throws you a handful of macro keys if you're into that.
It's a fair bit cheaper than the K70 as well - it's kind of in the next price bracket down in spite of having the features of the K70, which leaves you plenty of spare in your budget for whatever mouse you go for.
That said, I'm sure the K70 is also solid - Corsair stuff nearly always is. And there's always the K65 if you don't mind not having a numpad or backlights, and want to spend less again.