Gaming keyboards

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
I'm currently looking for a keyboard to replace my Razer Deathstalker Ultimate 2014, which is good, but far too loud, and could do with a somewhat shorter travel distance in its keys, and I stumbled upon one called a Thrustmaster Tactical Board. It looks very intriguing, but it seems like its no longer being sold. Does anyone here have experience with this type of gaming keyboard, and could recommend one?

This also goes for a more normal keyboard. I like it being mechanical, but it's definitely not a must, although I'd like it if it doesn't suffer from ghosting too much. More importantly, I'd like it to be somewhat quiet, and comfortable to use. Backlighting is a plus.

Morgoth780

Aug 6, 2014
I think getting a keyboard with cherry mx brown keyswitches would be good. They're similar to blues in that they have the tactile bump, but they are nowhere near as loud. Reds and blacks are pretty quiet as well, but they don't have any tactile feedback And I think they feel horrible.

Edit: also, if the travel distance is too long, you could also install o rings which reduce it. I also believe they reduce noise, might be wrong on that though.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
While not strictly speaking a gaming keyboard I have a lot of love for my refurbished IBM Model M keyboard. The thing is built like a tank, uses very clicky buckling spring keys all while being older than *pulls number out of ass* 75% of Escapist forum members. I've fooled around with the gaming keyboards of a few friends and I would take the Model M every time. The only real flaw with the keyboard is the lack of a 'Window' key because the keyboard predates the existence of this function within operating systems.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
Morgoth780 said:
I think getting a keyboard with cherry mx brown keyswitches would be good. They're similar to blues in that they have the tactile bump, but they are nowhere near as loud. Reds and blacks are pretty quiet as well, but they don't have any tactile feedback And I think they feel horrible.

Edit: also, if the travel distance is too long, you could also install o rings which reduce it. I also believe they reduce noise, might be wrong on that though.
Any kind of O-ring with the correct diameter, or specific to computer use? I work in marine industry, so I could just get them at work if they aren't specific. I'm assuming rubber, not copper or brass.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I know a lot of people don't like Logitech, but my G710+ is awesome. It's brown switches and comes with o-rings pre-installed. Pretty quiet for a mechanical keyboard, but still got that tactile bump to it.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I use a Perixx PX-1100. It's quiet, relatively stylish, and freaking heavy. Just what you'd expect from a German company.

It sits at about 3.5 lbs, which is quite heavy. That being said, with the exception of the feet that I broke off because I like to play with them, it's really solidly built. I drop this thing all the time and it doesn't complain.

Typing response is some of the best I've had in a non-mechanical keyboard. It's not all that noisy but you can get a fairly satisfying clacking going if you're going fast enough. That strikes a decent balance IMO. If you have to be quiet, you can be.

It comes with a palm rest that I don't use, but it's adjustable, so there's that. The rubber feet on the corners do a great job of keeping the board in place especially coupled with the weight of the thing. The keys have a nice feel to them, tacky, but not sticky. Your fingers don't slide off them, but it's still nice and smooth.

I chose this one due to budget constraints, but if you have to go with a non-mechanical keyboard, you could definitely do worse than this.

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
I like my Roccat Arvo. It's a compact keyboard, so you'll have to get used to using the special mode to switch from keypad to arrow keys. Keys feel perfectly 'clacky' and getting your type on sounds satisfying. I've had this one for 5 years and it's never let me down.

But the best feature for me are the three extra thumb buttons. I've programmed them to replace alt, shift and ctrl, so now i've got those under my thumb aswell. I can't even remember how I used to play with the claw hand you need to get your pinky on those keys, but now my hand is more relaxed. I have only encountered one instance where it wasn't as usefull, when i was playing older shooters that still rely on crouch jumping i had a hard time switching between the jump button and the crouch button.

But overall I love this one, and should it ever break I'll replace it with the same one.

Saregon

Yes.. Swooping is bad.
May 21, 2012
WouldYouKindly said:
I use a Perixx PX-1100. It's quiet, relatively stylish, and freaking heavy. Just what you'd expect from a German company.

It sits at about 3.5 lbs, which is quite heavy. That being said, with the exception of the feet that I broke off because I like to play with them, it's really solidly built. I drop this thing all the time and it doesn't complain.

Typing response is some of the best I've had in a non-mechanical keyboard. It's not all that noisy but you can get a fairly satisfying clacking going if you're going fast enough. That strikes a decent balance IMO. If you have to be quiet, you can be.

It comes with a palm rest that I don't use, but it's adjustable, so there's that. The rubber feet on the corners do a great job of keeping the board in place especially coupled with the weight of the thing. The keys have a nice feel to them, tacky, but not sticky. Your fingers don't slide off them, but it's still nice and smooth.

I chose this one due to budget constraints, but if you have to go with a non-mechanical keyboard, you could definitely do worse than this.
I actually used to have one of those, it was pretty good, but I don't remember how it was with ghosting. I have a spare one which is kinda bad, so I want to avoid that. Mostly looking for something like the Thrustmaster Tactical Board first though. Found one to consider, Logitech G13 so far.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I use a Steelseries G6V2, which, whilst loud, has a key response time so light that the gentle exhalation of a woman reaching quiet climax on the other side of the room would be capable of writing a sentence.

My DOTA2 MMR has increased by ~ -400 since its purchase. But that's because I suck.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
While not strictly speaking a gaming keyboard I have a lot of love for my refurbished IBM Model M keyboard. The thing is built like a tank, uses very clicky buckling spring keys all while being older than *pulls number out of ass* 75% of Escapist forum members. I've fooled around with the gaming keyboards of a few friends and I would take the Model M every time. The only real flaw with the keyboard is the lack of a 'Window' key because the keyboard predates the existence of this function within operating systems.
I kind of get your sentiment. I've been the same cheap wired Logitech mouse to game for the past 13 years.
I've used other mice over the years. Most of them were objectively better than my antique. More precise. More responsive. More ergonomic. And yet I always keep coming back it. Everything else just doesn't feel right.