Gaming Nostalgia for you...

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
GoodDay Escapist.

As far as as physical effect... toss between ghouls and ghost (NES) and Warrior of Rome II (genesis)

Hardcore On Topic... Solar Jetman on NES. For me Bro, Youtube video of 'Trojan' battle in sewers found on youtube. (seriously; he flipped his shit)

For extra points; post a memory from each gen you remember off hand!

-Atari - Battle Tanks with my uncle at grandparents house
-NES - Solar Jetman and Karnov
-Genesis- Altered Beast and Master blaster and !!Warrior of Rome II!!
-Arcade- SFII champ, SF: alpha first time seeing raging deamon; local tournaments
-snes- never owned one but a WWF game with Hulk Hogan and Pilot Wings at cousins house
-Saturn- Dragon Force, capcom fighters, import cart with eva games
-Dreamcast- Soul caliber, crazi taxi, space chanel 5
-ps/ps2- Jumping flash, One, Castlevania: SOTN, FF's, ugh... too many to name
-PC- WING Commander 1 & 2, Commander Keen, Elevater Action, Castle Wolfenstein 3d

Hoping to here more from fellow escapist to re-ignite forgotten nostalgia of my own!

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Not sure I get the first half, but I'll have a go at the second half:

Atari: Raging when someone got a BS wall-bounce shot to kill you in Combat
NES: Teaching my friends how to abuse the knee attack in Double Dragon II.
Genesis: Playing one of the worst games ever made - Revolution X - at my friend's house.
Arcade: Super SF2, MKII, and GUITAR FREAKS!!!
SNES: Not being able to beat Smithy in Super Mario RPG for like 4 years. Or Sunset Riders for that matter. Best console ever.
Saturn: Playing Jurassic Park in Toys R' Us (no one I knew had one)
Dreamcast: Jet Grind Radio and Shenmue. Besides Soul Calibur, no other games were needed.
PSX: First time I beat FFVII was right before a dentist appointment. I made my mom wait in the car honking at me for 20 minutes while I watched the entire ending.
PS2: Shedding a tear at the end of MGS3. Yeah so what if I did, shut up already.
PC: lolpcgaming

dandahammer

Jun 2, 2009
OMG Double Dragon II!

As for Final Fantasy, because of cheap 3rd party memory card for psx and never owning a snes; FFIX was first one I completed in the same time frame as my friends, so FFIX has a special place.

And chain reaction memory to DD is River City Ransom... to many good times to remember at once... (gaming in general)

jacobythehedgehog

Jun 15, 2011
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle has big nostalgia for me. It was the first game I stayed up all night to beat.

Shenmue was the first game to make me cry. And the first Free Rom game I ever played.

Ninja Gaiden II was the first game I stayed all night infront of EB Games to get on launch day. It was only me and two other people. I felt soo cool. And the game was awesome.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
NES--Going back to Mario 3 (I'm generation SNES) after playing World and seeing all those crazy maps and power-ups.

SNES--Being upset when my brother told me you need Ayla to get past the Blackbird in Chrono Trigger...it was years until I went back and played through it again. Now, Chrono Trigger is my favorite game! Also, playing Mario World with my mom. :)

Genesis--Playing my cousin's Trampoline Terror, and never beating the water level in Sonic 3

Gameboy--Pokemon: Blue, first game I beat on my own! (which is weird...'cause Red was the first game I owned)

PC--Warcraft 2. I'd spend so much time building pre-formed armies in the level editor so I could have battles that started at the climax.

Arcade--X-men and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Great time with friends :D (X-men at a skating rink/arcade/go-kart/laser tag place, TMNT at Chucky Cheese)

N64--Gohma scaring the crap out little me...took me a year to actually continue OoT :/
Speaking of Nintendo scaring poor little-me..."THE PIANO'S GOING TO EAT ME!!!"...and that freaking Eel >_>

Playstation--Jumping Flash! "Wow, it's a 3D game!!!"

Dreamcast--Being completely blown away by Sonic Adventure's graphics when I got DC for my birthday.

PS2--For some reason, I really loved that early sunset scene in Kingdom Hearts. I was sitting there, eating dinner during cutscenes, and...for some reason, I found that scene really touching. Seriously, I don't even know why, but that memory sticks with me.

Gamecube--Playing Luigi's Mansion with a buddy taking turns and joking around the whole time.

Xbox--Completely breaking the Darth Maul battle on Obi-Wan. Hide on those rails in the pit, jump+saber throw.

RandallJohn

Aug 21, 2010
-Atari - Sitting cross-legged in the dining room (where there was a spare TV) playing Adventure and Pitfall.

-NES - Getting mad at my friend because she pronounced Luigi "Loogie."

-Genesis- NBA Jam in the basement of my church.

-Arcade- Competing in local DDR tournaments and losing out on first place by less than ten points.

-SNES- Discovering RPGs with Earthbound and Super Mario RPG. Earthbound marks the first time I have ever cried over a game.

-Saturn- Getting my hands on a friend's, playing for a few seconds, then having to leave. :/

-Dreamcast- Standing in the game section of Toys R' Us playing Sonic Adventure, thinking "This system is gonna be HUGE." :p

-PSone- Going to my karate teacher's house after practices and playing Bloody Roar and PaRappa the Raper.

-PS2- College. My faithful companion. I saved up my $10-a-week allowance for a while to get it. :D

-PC- Convincing my friend to skip a class to go on dungeon runs with me in World of Warcraft.

Also...

-LCD handhelds- Getting killed by mousers in Tiger's handheld Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

-Game Boy- The system that introduced me to gaming. Got it from my uncle as a gift for being ring-bearer in his wedding, along with fresh copies of Tetris and WarioLand. I will NEVER forget that system.

-Game Gear- Playing Primal Rage on my friend's Game Gear while his mother yelled at me that he was leaving.

-Game Boy Color- Developing a crush on Kate from Mario Tennis GBC. (I know, I know.)

-Game Boy Advance- Knowing my parents got me one for my birthday, knowing where they had hidden it, but not being able to actually play it until my birthday. Longest wait ever.

-Game Boy Advance SP- Playing FirePro Wrestling and wondering why the clock moved at double-time.

-PSP- Staying up late to finish a kill in Monster Hunter

-Nintendo DS- Being really impressed with Nintendo customer service, as I wait for my DS to be returned from its free repairs (which are happening right now.)

-Nintendo Wii_ Surprising my father with a brand new Wii for Father's Day, and watching as he plays Wii Wakeboarding and smiles like a little kid. Also, watching my VERY anti-videogame mother school the whole family in Wii bowling.

Man... I really grew up with video games. Thanks for the nostalgia trip. :)

EDIT: -N64- Staying up late at my friend's house and playing Starfox 64 and Mission: Impossible.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
As of right now I am only 15. I remember I would play ps2 a lot but a game that is very nostalgic for me is a game that no one expect. Spongebob the movie. haha yes this game was a fun game I found myself playing a lot when I got it even though it was very stupid. Yet the game had a really nice difficulty curve and it was actually hard at points if you didn't upgrade your powers and some of the powers were fucking awesome! I mean Spongebob could play the guitar and the blast you could control and send it as far as you needed to kill the enemy. The levels were cool and very colorful. There were driving levels that were awesome. I loved the game because it was just simply so fun.

shieldsee

Sep 26, 2010
N64 - Anything for zelda. it gives me a rush just to be able to break those pots and rip up that grass for rupees without remorse!

Gameboy - Pokemon (when it was actually good) inc. 1st and 2nd gen.

PS - Abe's Odyssey, one of the greats with its epic gameplay... and manipulating Sligs to spontaneous combust LOL

dandahammer

Jun 2, 2009
-AHH! Chrono Trigger! Finally experienced on PSX and ADORED Chrono Cross (Soundtrack =love)
-Arcade wise; The Simpsons Arcade And The Avengers "Thank you Quicksilver!"
- Kingdom Hearts; playing with friend (whom was also a big FFVII fan) and had no Idea of what the 'platinum battle' was.. epicness!

On xbox...wow no doubt Deus ex: Invisible War, cried real tears when it was not backwards compatable with the 360 =(

Many thanks for the chain reaction nostalgias so far!

dandahammer

Jun 2, 2009
enzilewulf said:
As of right now I am only 15. I remember I would play ps2 a lot but a game that is very nostalgic for me is a game that no one expect. Spongebob the movie. haha yes this game was a fun game I found myself playing a lot when I got it even though it was very stupid. Yet the game had a really nice difficulty curve and it was actually hard at points if you didn't upgrade your powers and some of the powers were fucking awesome! I mean Spongebob could play the guitar and the blast you could control and send it as far as you needed to kill the enemy. The levels were cool and very colorful. There were driving levels that were awesome. I loved the game because it was just simply so fun.
Understood; that reminded me of playing a Barnie the Dinosaur game on PSX with frustrating platforming...(it's suprising what you'll settle for when broke and renting in a small town =p

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
For me, it's all about my old Amiga. Using it for the first time to play the New Zealand Story when I was 11 was just great. Games that really bring it back for me would be, and are not necessarily limited to: Speedball II, Rainbow Islands, Dungeon Master, UFO Enemy Unknown, Chaos Engine, Cadaver, Ultima V, Zool...

And who can forget Cannon Fodder, with it's fantastic intro music? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDxCBx9Xb1I. I got so attached to those little guys. Especially Jools and Stoo, for some reason.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
This is gonna be a short list as far as consoles go as I switched to PC gaming early on...

Atari 2600: Yar's Revenge. Who could forget it? Also Jungle Hunt, Pole Position, Rampage (god, the graphics, but I didn't care--I was a big building-bashing monster!)
NES: Contra, and I know this is gonna sound odd but: Cobra Triangle. It was one of the few games that involved driving a boat.
Sega Genesis: Ahh, for me, this was the golden age. So many games... from Altered Beast and Air Diver, to Zombies Ate My Neighbors... how can I choose just a few...
SNES: SimCity. SimCity was the killer-app that got me to save up for an SNES. No really. I can still hear the music...

And that's it for consoles. I got into computers around that time, and soon lost interest in consoles. Played with PSX, 3DO, Jaguar, and NEO-GEO demo units in the stores but never really had a burning desire to own any of them.

Oh, one special mention: The Atari Lynx handheld. It was the BetaMax of its day: technologically superior to others of the time, but its support just wasn't good enough. Game Gear beat it handily. /ducks the pun police. I still have it, might dig it out and give Warbirds another spin...

As for PCs:
In the 286/386 era, flight sims were everything. F-15 Strike Eagle, F-19, Gunship 2000, you name it I flew it.
The 486 era brought Wolfenstein 3D, improved flight sims like Harrier Jump Jet, and adventure and RPG titles like Protostar and Star Control II (okay, so Star Control II was a wee bit earlier, sue me). And then there was the birth of the LucasArts X-Wing series--I spent hours on end playing X-Wing, and later TIE Fighter. The SimCity franchise peaked with SimCity 2000. It's all downhill from here Maxis, run!
Of course, DOOM. And later, Duke 3D, which was absolutely nothing like the previous 2D games in the Duke series. You youngun's do know Duke 3D was the third installment, right? And Four-ever is the (worthless) fourth. ;)

Hmm, what's the earliest game I remember loving that required a Pentium-class processor. Was it Warcraft 2, or did that run on the 486... I honestly don't remember...
Ah, Diablo--the original not that crappy sequel--will do. Required a P60, making it definitely one of the earliest Pentium-required games. Unlike its crappy sequel, I still have Diablo installed today. Naked maging is just so fun.

I suppose I'll stop there.

dandahammer

Jun 2, 2009
shieldsee said:
N64 - Anything for zelda. it gives me a rush just to be able to break those pots and rip up that grass for rupees without remorse!

Gameboy - Pokemon (when it was actually good) inc. 1st and 2nd gen.

PS - Abe's Odyssey, one of the greats with its epic gameplay... and manipulating Sligs to spontaneous combust LOL
And this reminds me of GEX on Saturn (and PSX?) Such memorable quotes! Speaking of games I owned on more than one console (SOTN-PSX/Saturn, GEX I Think,and Xmen VS Street Fighter)

Seriously, the 4meg cart for saturn imports made me happy (tho strangely PSX SOTN was superior to Saturn version)

bakan

Jun 17, 2011
The first game I played was probably Monkey Island 1 with my father, stored on a lot of floppy disks (though he played mostly as I was pretty young at this time :p)
Later on Pokemon, Tetris, Zelda etc on the Gameboy, I guess.

LittleBlondeGoth

Mar 24, 2011
@evilneko - Argh, I forgot Doom!

We had that hidden away on our school network when I was in the 6th form. Group of us would play it over lunch breaks. And every time a teacher walked in, the entire room would spontaneously reset their PCs - "must've been a power cut, sir. Honest."