"gaming" on tablets

wullemaha

May 9, 2012
Hi everybody,

I recently purchased a samsung galaxy 10 inch tab, with android 4.something, mostly for work (and because it's a shiny shiny toy).
Anyhow, since I travel a lot i figured i could try a little "gaming" on it - yeah i put it in a quotation mark on purpose ;-)

I tried one of the typical tower defense games, and well, it's a tower defense allright -.-
I also played minecraft a bit, and it's ok, but a game like this cannot really be fun on a touchscreen, you need some decent controls in my point of view.

But I figured that this should be a perfect platform for RPGs, since a touchscreen should totally work for Baldurs Gate, Final Fantasy VII or something the like... right?

Only, I could not find anything up to now, so I am asking you: anyone of you "playing" on a tablet PC and can recommend something?

Cheers,
René

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
I know the Google Play market has Final Fantasy III up for download, and some devices have access to Chrono Trigger and GTA 3. You may also want to look into Gameloft as a company. They do full 3d games for Android, although most wind up being knock offs of big name titles.

Also, get the Amazon App Market, too. They give away a different app for free, every day. I once got a $6 game for free.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Why are you putting "playing" and 'gaming" in quotation marks? Just because they're not H4RdC0rE doesn't mean they're not games.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
I won't just suggest you Battleheart I will outright tell you to get it, that game is as fun as hell. Also Destiny defense! those are my big 2 suggestions you can't do wrong with.

I'll suggest some more that are almost as good

Dragon Fantasy
Ravenmark
Adventure Bar
Game Developer Story
The Quest
Saturday Morning RPG

Selifator

Jul 14, 2008
Toucharcade.com and it's podcast are good sources for general gaming (though more iOS than Android) and pockettactics.com is a good site for mobile strategy games.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
It isn't "gaming" anymore. It's gaming. I have Max Payne and GTA 3 on my phone. I have games on my phone that look as good as PSP games.

Actual suggestion? GTA 3 is pretty good, and plays surprisingly well on my phone, so it should work even better on a tablet. Also Zenonia 3 and Inotia 3. Inotia is a JRPG, but it has a WoW-lite sort of combat system, it's fun and it looks pretty.

I'd also recommend Angry Birds because it's a great time waster, Osmos HD is a really fun and tranquil game that I enjoy. Final Fantasy something is available on the Play store. Also, they just released a port of Broken Sword, which is a classic, and as a point and click game would be perfect for a tablet.

wullemaha

May 9, 2012
GeneralTwinkle said:
Why are you putting "playing" and 'gaming" in quotation marks? Just because they're not H4RdC0rE doesn't mean they're not games.
well i did put some winking smileys there, so please don't take it too serious!
by the statement in general i meant that i am not expecting a once-in-a-lifetime gaming experience since a games depth and controls will be very limited on a tablet.
but don't get me wrong, i am not against to notion of mobile gaming, heck, i opened this article, didn't i? ;-)

thanks to the others for the contribution!

I will definitely try Battleheart, Game Dev Story and Avadon.

FF3 is a bit too expensive just right now, and HELL I CAN'T WAIT FOR BALDURS GATE :-D

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
Yeah, with stuff like this, I think in a few years, the tablet PC will be a legit gaming platform, if we can just get touch screen controls down, lol. Still, the tablet is MADE for isometric games, so we could a revival of the classic CRPG.

wullemaha

May 9, 2012
kyosai7 said:
Yeah, with stuff like this, I think in a few years, the tablet PC will be a legit gaming platform, if we can just get touch screen controls down, lol. Still, the tablet is MADE for isometric games, so we could a revival of the classic CRPG.
... finally! I have been waiting for a nice RPG to pop up again for a long time! :)

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I recently got a pretty low-end Android phone, and it has no problem running a SNES emulator. I'm pretty sure there are external controllers available for these things as well.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009

Too late to pick them up at low prices, but there's a quick look at some pretty good games for android.