Gaming on the Mac

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
O.k. First off, I'm not really looking for a mac vs. PC debate, especially in terms of gaming. I am more than aware of ALL of the PC's advantages on mac, and I hadn't even bought the thing(the mac) for gaming in the first place.
But just because this thing isn't intended to play games, doesn't mean it can't. I've already grabbed marathon(...) for it, and I'm kind of looking to branch outward. Only problem is, I don't really know where to start. Where do I get good games for the mac? Are there any free one's I should be looking to D/L?(I got Marathon for free).
I heard Spore is going to be released on Mac, so thats nice. I'm looking to play either a good RTS, Adventure game, FPS or even MMORPG, although the latter would have to REALLY impress me, and definitely not fall under any category that WoW might.

Any takers?

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I know Linux users have some sort of windows emulator, im not sure but it might exist for mac.

But i think my local Applehouse store had a selection of games that work on the mac.

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
You can definately run windows off a mac and if you don't want to do that, I'm pretty sure blizzard games work. Eg. Warcraft 3, starcraft, they are always fun.

erikvduyn

The worst at Linux
Apr 2, 2008
when my dad went to the local machouse some 4-5 years ago, they had a selection of mac games, including The Sims and THPS 4, which came preinstalled on my dad's laptop.

propertyofcobra

Oct 17, 2007
Microsoft Works
Military Intelligence
Mac Gaming

The three biggest modern oxymorons.
To get good mac games, look at that small single shelf in big electronics stores. Bask in the glory of 3-5 year old games. (Yeah, I'm a bit of a mac disliker. Can you blame me with their self-centered commercials that basically amount to "Your kids won't be able to have fun with it! And if you're a complete and utter moron who can't install your freaking printer, boy do we have a computer for you!"?)
Seriously though, yeah. I have this bike, and I want it to fire bullets. I'm aware of the advantages guns have over bikes for firing bullets, and I didn't even buy my bike to fire bullets. I'm not trying to start a bike versus gun debate here...

So why are you trying to get your bike (mac) to fire bullets (play games), which a gun (PC) is INFINITELY better suited, indeed, CREATED for?

propertyofcobra

Oct 17, 2007
Thunderhorse said:
propertyofcobra said:
Obviously didn't read my post
Haha, wow. try not to get so worked up over all the littlest things.
Hey, I did say to look at the one shelf for mac games in electronics stores (You sure as heck won't find more than that). What more do you want? Mac Gaming specific shops or something?

Piemaster

Apr 22, 2008
The best way would be to run a Windows emulator on your mac. Leopard comes with a program called Boot Camp which runs Windows. I think you can get Boot Camp for older Mac operating systems as well.

xMacx

Nov 24, 2007
This is going to end badly.

I'd tell you to search the forums for the previous mac and gaming posts (they also ended badly), but I failed trying to use the search function.

So instead, I say, google is your friend. A quick search revealed:

http://www.apple.com/games/

http://www.gamedb.com/ssps

http://www.macgamestore.com/?gclid=CIStpPGz-5ICFSYuagoduEneGA

and a related op-ed piece on your question: http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070818-gaming-on-the-mac-getting-better-but-not-there-yet.html

Full disclosure - I'm not (and likely will never be) a Mac user - I just used Google.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
propertyofcobra said:
O.k, whatever. Miss the point.
I saw your recommendation for, "3 to 5 year old games", but it struck me as more spiteful than anything else. I really don't think that's a stretch either.

Now, next time you walk into a thread that immediately recognizes your negative opinion, and ask's that that you leave it out of the equation for the time being, try and adhere. I know I sure as hell do.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Piemaster said:
The best way would be to run a Windows emulator on your mac. Leopard comes with a program called Boot Camp which runs Windows. I think you can get Boot Camp for older Mac operating systems as well.
This crossed my mind, but I've heard horror stories of how DREADFUL windows is on a mac, and that gaming was practically impossible because it was so damn slow.

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
xMacx said:
Link's and such. Good work.
Yes, I google searched, but I believe in leaving no stone unturned, and thought perhaps I'd probe the forum for at least a juicy downloadable game. I used the search for an older thread as well, also wielding no results.

That being said, thanks. I at least appreciate the effort.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Thunderhorse why are you editing peoples posts. I consider that a form of censoring. Very naughty.

Anyway, you can't expect many games for macs (with the whole no left click and all) but I suppose you could invest in a Windows Emulator and a new mouse. Or settle for MarbleBlast gold.

Consoles are fun. Maybe you could give one of them a swing if you want games.

Arkeotype

Apr 9, 2008
It all depends on which mac you have... If it is one of the Intel Mac's (i.e. macbook pro, new iMac....) then you can dual boot in both mac and windows by running BootCamp (look on Apple's site for full details). I have a MacBook Pro that I use for school and I can play Crysis on the damn thing. Before all of you Mac haters jump on my back, I got this computer because of it's portability, long battery life and versatility, plus I got a sweet deal on it.

I'm impartial, I can use both Mac and Windows without getting a headache or a hard-on. Guess I just go both ways.... *hangs head*

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Fire Daemon said:
Thunderhorse why are you editing peoples posts. I consider that a form of censoring. Very naughty.

Anyway, you can't expect many games for macs (with the whole no left click and all) but I suppose you could invest in a Windows Emulator and a new mouse. Or settle for MarbleBlast gold.

Consoles are fun. Maybe you could give one of them a swing if you want games.
I am shortening people's post's for the sake of space. Also, to some I added a little bit of literary effect which I found mildly humorous at the time. Feel free to do so with mine if you want, and there was really no ill will involved.

That being said, I play consoles. I have had a Wii(Since been sold), own a 360, a sega genesis, and in a few months, when I have the funds, a PS3. I just like to explore as many avenues of gaming as I can.

So, in a desperate attempt to calm the echelon's of PC gaming down, I plead with everyone to just accept the fact that a normal human being can own a mac, and and still retain a bit of his humanity. I'm not in love with it, I won't spit on window's based software, and I just took a shot into the only forum that I THOUGHT would let any subject stand, so long as the person presenting it did so in a valid way. I didn't come to offend, scrutinize, or anything of the sort. Just inquiring. SHEESH!

WingedFortress

Detective
Feb 5, 2008
Arkeotype said:
shortened, to save space.
I've got one of the black macbook's, 4 gig RAM, 220 gig HD. And plus the spec's it ships with, so like, 2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo, 800 MHz bus speed....I really don't know what I should tell you in terms of stuff like this. hahaha.

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
http://www.macgamefiles.com/

That site is prettymuch your one stop shop for finding mac games. It's updated regularly and has a wide variety of things. If it's on the mac, you should be able to find a demo at least on there.

As for the windows emulation, like Arkeotype said, all the new intel macs can actually run windows, full graphics support and all. I heard somewhere at some point that the best laptop that ran windows vista was a macbook pro. Before intel though the it was bad times. The emulation was slow at best, and there was no graphics support, so running a game more advanced than minesweeper was impossible. If you have an intel mac and want to run games, getting a copy of windows xp might not be a bad investment.

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/news/

Also a good site that makes games strait for mac. Escape Velocity was pretty good, think Freelancer but top view. They also have some utilities that might be useful.

http://www.pure-mac.com/

While Pure Mac isn't really a game site, it was a bevy of all mac related programs, it's worth time to see just what you can get out of your mac.

Faeanor

Dec 15, 2007
if you really want to see it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j29T6uPp_I4

but i warn you, nothing terribly exciting

boyitsme95

Feb 26, 2008
xMacx said:
So instead, I say, google is your friend. A quick search revealed:

http://www.apple.com/games/
If you go on the site you can see Fable:TLC, Neverwinter Nights 2, and alot of cheap puzzle games. So go sell your Mac and buy a PC unless you like old games and/or are a casuel gamer.