Gaming on Windows 8

Blade3dge

Nov 12, 2008
So recently I've been having laptop trouble with my new laptop so I took it back to the store I bought it from and they've offered to replace the laptop, unfortunately however none of the systems they have are running Windows 7 so they're offering me Windows 8.

Now I've got it in my head that by "upgrading" to Windows 8 I'll be downgrading my user experience with the laptop, but I haven't had enough experience with Windows 8 to make that call. So I was wondering how does Windows 8 really compare to Windows 7 especially with regards to gaming? I understand and can deal with that horrendous interface as long as every program works as intended i.e Steam etc.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I don't have any personal experience with Windows 8, but I have a coworker that's a gamer who was in a similar position as you. He got the new laptop for Christmas, and hasn't stopped complaining about Windows 8 since then.

Apparently it has a ton of compatibility issues with older games and the Windows updates have been messing with his graphics card drivers.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
If you can be arsed to download one damned program, you'll be fine. The only thing that I would definitely say no is if you dual boot with a Linux distro. Other than that, it's passable. For gaming, it's just Windows 7 with flat tiles as a start menu. No compatibility has screwed up on me yet and it's very stable, which is quite odd given their OS trends.

They made it more stable than 7, but sacrificed the user experience to make that happen as they'd like to copy Apple for the money. Nevermind that Apple is falling recently.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Take Windows 7 off the laptop you're handing them and put it on the new one.
You can get your Windows key from some program if it's not in some hidden options menu (this is if the usual sticker has fallen off your laptop which you may want to take off if you are handing it back without Windows on), and just download an ISO.

Also if they hand you a machine with Windows 8 you get both that way, just before reinstalling 7 get the 8 key.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I just got a laptop that uses windows 8. The user interface is really weird.

But for the gaming part it isn't half bad. I can run KOTOR 1 and 2 just fine and dandy.So I would say Windows 8 runs pretty nice steam(that is what kotor is on)

Blade3dge

Nov 12, 2008
AstroSmash said:
You should be more concerned about gaming on a laptop than gaming on windows 8.

It's a shit OS, but all of my games, including old ones, run perfectly fine.
My bad, every point where I mentioned "gaming" in the OP replace it with "portable gaming". I agree wholeheartedly that laptops aren't that good for gaming but when I visit friends houses it's much easier to bring a laptop for a few games of Warcraft than my whole PC.

Blade3dge

Nov 12, 2008
To get more to the point of the question though. Do any gamers out there running Windows 8 find themselves wishing they had Windows 7 instead and why?

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I use Windows 8 and play games.

I have zero problems and have no issues with the interface... not really sure what else to add!

AstroSmash said:
Everything is basically run in desktop mode anyway, so the whole metro interface feels kinda pointless, although it could have been put to good use.
A fair point and understandable considering most the current apps and games we use weren't designed with Windows 8/Metro in mind. Wouldn't be surprised over the next year to see new releases taking more advantage of the Metro.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Blade3dge said:
To get more to the point of the question though. Do any gamers out there running Windows 8 find themselves wishing they had Windows 7 instead and why?
My experience with it is pretty much the same as it was with 7, except that windows 7 used to fuck up constantly because of updates and it had major problems with my lan drivers. Thats the main reason why i switched. As for gaming, i never had any problems and i have been running 8 for a long time now, and if the new start menu bothers you, you can download a theme with the old start menu, or just stick with 7.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
The operating system is pretty horrible, but it runs most games ok. You might run into a few issues with some older titles but overall it's fine. My few problems never even came about due to the OS itself - my experience with a Windows 8 laptop was ruined by the fact that the laptop didn't have a way of registering the left and right mouse button at once.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Win 8 is a more stable and efficient OS than Win 7 but the interface is more user hostile than user friendly for most people.
Stick with Win 7 and save the money.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well it goes along with their design policy "take Win 7 and smear it with shit", so mostly it will all work the same but on occasion you will come across the shit smears.

Lucky Godzilla

Oct 31, 2012
Blade3dge said:
The metro layout may be a bit jarring for some, but you never actually have to use it. You're literally one click away from what s essentially Windows 7. As a whole Windows 8 is a snappier, far more streamline OS. Boot times are noticeably quicker on my laptop, and I have noticed a 2-5 extra FPS on my games. Plus they rolled in cloud storage, and more importantly fully integrated Adobe flash, meaning no more stupid popups every other time I boot up my P.C. SO far I haven't run into any compatibly issues, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. If you're getting it for free, I say go for it.

G32420NL

Jul 3, 2012
There is a simple registry fix that removes metro and gives you a start menu like windows 7 there are programs to do it for you as well (wont put a link here because i dont know the rules very well)
At the moment, the metro interface for me is the only thing that ruins win 8, it's just not designed for mouse and keyboard.

on the performance side, most recent reviews and benchmarks seem to show a slight decrease in max frames, sometimes slightly better in minimal frames. overall probably not noticable.
other tasks seem to run better in win 8, starting office, unzipping. the booting time is decreased by a fair amount, even on ssd's. so that may be a perk.

edit: well shame on me, the guy above me already said roughly the same thing :p

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
Blade3dge said:
I sure as hell don't. The memory leaks that happened in Vista/7 annoyed me to no end and I'm glad MS got their shit together for this release. Doesn't stop me from condemning the direction MS is taking Windows. I'm not interested in a closed environment in the future, MS. Leave that to Apple, those cheap bastards...

Blade3dge

Nov 12, 2008
Boris Goodenough said:
Win 8 is a more stable and efficient OS than Win 7 but the interface is more user hostile than user friendly for most people.
Stick with Win 7 and save the money.
Wait what? Did you read the OP? I have a faulty Windows 7 laptop that I have been offered a replacement for it except the new laptop will be running Windows 8 (exact same model, different OS). No loss of money at all. I'm purely concerned that Windows 8 may be a downgrade in some regards but you guys seem to be telling me otherwise which is good news when option B was sending the laptop for repair.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
I have my desktop on W7 and Laptop on W8. IMO Windows 7 is infinitely easier to use, It's been a week and i'm still not 100% on the the hells going on with the homescreen of 8. Havent tried gaming on it, but from a purely user friendly PoV, i'd stay 7 all the way.

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
Blade3dge said:
Wait what? Did you read the OP? I have a faulty Windows 7 laptop that I have been offered a replacement for it except the new laptop will be running Windows 8 (exact same model, different OS). No loss of money at all. I'm purely concerned that Windows 8 may be a downgrade in some regards but you guys seem to be telling me otherwise which is good news when option B was sending the laptop for repair.
My apologies, get the new one then.