Gaming Patriotism or "Do you have a preferred country in games?"

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Inspiration for this thread was me realizing I love playing as Russia in just about any game. Soviet Union in a WW2 game, medieval Ivan the Terrible Russia in medieval games, Moskva or Ryazan or Yaroslavl (or in the latest 900 I just started, Mozhaysk) in Crusader Kings, Novgorod in Medieval 2: Total War. I really throw myself into it---speaking in a faux-Russian accent when I talk to the screen (and yes, I'm screwy enough to talk to the screen while gaming), picturing myself in icon form for the game's Orthodox religion (in keeping with my proud tradition of being god to in-game people, hence my forum username), and just generally going all-out "hurrah Mother Russia and death to all her enemies". Even in the Sims I tend to give my created characters Russian names just for (gaming) consistency's sake.

The kicker? I'm American. Not only that, but I was raised during the butt end of the Cold War when Gorbachev was the Bad Guy? during the Reagan years. Yet I adore the great big Russian Bear (cue "bear cavalry" picture.)

For Discussion: What's your country, that you will defend to the death in any and all games---and is it your native land in real life?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I'd have to say the United Kingdom, why? Because that's where you go to get Captain Price, Gaz, one Mr. Soap MacTavish and the rest of the SAS so the can go beat the shit of of some terrorists. Plus it's the only real life country that you fight for in a game I've actually enjoyed recently, so winner by default I guess.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
The Japanese, but only in Battlestations: Pacific.

I prefer them though because all of their ships smaller than a Battlecruiser have at least 4 torpedo launchers on each side. They also have J9Y Kikka jet dive-bomber, which makes an awesome first strike weapon, especially when your first target is an enemy aircraft carrier.

I also almost constantly laugh at the bad Engrish.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Post nuclear meltdown Chernobyl come on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was awesome... I'm American...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
It is easily a tie between Russia and Briton. I love the patriotism of the Russians and feel quite angry when German tanks are plowing through peasant farms, pigs and all, to shoot at my men. That and the Red Army is just badass. Who else could pull off this picture?

I like playing as the British because they took down Napoleon, the Luftwaffe and I just love their naval power.

My real life loyalties lie quite closer to the UK because of the Queen and what not.

Mimssy

Dec 1, 2009
A prim and proper English gentlemen, a southern belle, any Hispanic country, or Greek would be my choices if I was given the choice.

My grandparents are Greek, but that's it for my heritage being anywhere near those choices.

SleepyOtter

Apr 28, 2010
Yugoslavian, I know there are no games that feature one as the protagonist, but I will not stop sending letters to developers until they do damn it!

I'm American btw

TinCynic

Jul 21, 2010
Depends. If I'm planning grand strategy games, like Civilization, then usually America since it provides the best economic bonuses. If its a grand war game like Supreme Ruler, then usually China or Russia since I love invading America. It's weird, I know, but I'm the kinda a guy who loves the movie Red Dawn.

I'm an American.

Apr 29, 2010
Honestly, I would love to see more countries other than what we've come to expect. We always see countries like Russia, the US, and so and so forth. I want new countries. I want to play games based in countries that's never been done before. That's one of the reasons Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker just seems so awesome to me. Why? Because it's set in Costa Rica. The country I'm living in, the country my parents are from.

Also, your topic just gave me the strongest feeling of deja vu.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I don't usually play games that have selectable countries, but I think I favor France and Japan.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Often Arabic or Islamic cultures. in Total War: Medieval 2, I loved playing as the Egyptians or the Moors. They always have funky music, troop types and architecture. If I can't choose them in a game, I choose any that is significantly different from Western Europe (Russia, Mongolian, Slavic etc.) but not Japanese (I find them dull).

I'm English.

Last Bullet

Apr 28, 2010
As an American, I don't particularly care. If I'm playing a game where my guy/girl is from Russia, I will kill all for the Motherland. I get a bit into some games. So long as the accents aren't horrendous.

The sandbox games I play are usually, if not always, set in America. Not sure why they do that. But I wouldn't mind having electrical powers in, say, Tokyo.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Back when we played Summer Games I was always French, because La Marseillaise is too cool. Other than that, not really, I do love taking Mohandas Ghandi on the warpath in Civ games though.

ArMartinez02

Mar 10, 2010
i rlly have no preference, but if they had Panama as a playing faction in a war game or sum shit like that ill die a happy man, o wait they did

i always play on this map lol, its so accurate in some points. if ur panamenian then u should kno what im talking about =P

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Cid SilverWing said:
Any that falls within the Good faction.
Mostly this.

Though I mainly play as the US, or Japanese, or which ever faction looks the coolest.