Gaming Soundtracks

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
I've been on a music binge, when I realized even though I play the vidyas as much as the next person, I don't listen to soundtracks... And I like some of the music in them!

I started out with CoD: Black Ops II, which I really liked, but I need moar!

Post some of your favorite soundtracks, or one piece that really stuck with you.

Here's my contribution:

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I don't know if I can really pick a favorite soundtrack, since that tends to vary from mood to mood. I've always loved the original Deus Ex soundtrack though, and it's definitely the one I've played the most outside of the actual game.

On a side note, I got a pretty good laugh the other night when I heard music from Fallout/Fallout 2 in the background of a season 1 episode of The X-Files called "The Jersey Devil." Or I guess more specifically I heard X-Files music in Fallout years prior to my introduction to the show, since the X-Files episode predates Fallout by like four years.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Ar Tonelico has one of the best soundtracks I've heard, it's just so grand and beautiful.
For more "normal" music Metal Gear Rising soundtrack is amazing.
Persona and Chrono Cross are always mentioned so I'll let someone else post their songs.

Tales of Abyss also has a great soundtrack in that they remix the opening theme and reuse it. So you have the original [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlefmqqDbr8] become this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SHM-7qMiDs] or this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5SF5pvsxfU]. Persona 3 also has a great use of soundtrack when it changes the map theme to fit the tone of the game and the twist of the story.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
TehCookie said:
Persona and Chrono Cross are always mentioned so I'll let someone else post their songs.
Let me do the honours then sir.

Right on to other things.

BlazBlue is my go to in these threads. It has the best overall soundtrack in gaming as far as i'm concerned. All the characters have such good personalised songs. A small thing but every song has a proper end, 2 minute loops are fine but every character in BB has a 5 minute masterpiece.

See this theme describes Hazama perfectly as a character, let me just go on this tangent for another 500 words

Also Katawa Shoujo and Ace Attorney. I like how the AA songs still have the same feel even after all the years between games.

Oh my god, how did I forget?

I don't care how low tier PW is, the fact that Capcom went through so much effort to 100% recreate him in a fighting game is brilliant. The entire universe stops for a second mid-fight to switch music once he hits an Objection! Music that stays on for the entire match even when he is tagged out until he dies.

Did I ever tell you that Ace Attorney does the single highest burst of damage in the game? Because Ace Attorney does the single highest damage in the game. Whereas Vergil with his level 4 super falls short.

So that means that Phoenix Wright is better than Vergil right? Right. Fuck Vergil. Vergil is shit.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona - which is a PSP remake and huge improvement on some crappy translation on the PS1, Revelations: Persona. It has an amazing soundtrack... really, the entire franchise has two major elements: Monster recruitment, and awsome music.

And Chrono Cross. I hated this game with a burning passion; the 50 something companions, none of whom get fleshed out well, the way the stat grinding works (ie, your stats are locked until story intervals) and the fact that, after training a character so much, they can die because of convencient plot-itis.

But, oh God the soundtrack.

Out of the rest of the MegaTen franchise, Nocturne probably has the 2nd best soundtrack. Even if the English is completely intelligible, it's still awesome.

Oh, and Ace Attorney and Katawa Shoujo. Being visual novels, visuals and music should be- and are - their strong points. They go very well with the story, and the twists that come with them.

The

Jan 24, 2012
Hotline Motherfucking Miami.
And Payday 2.
Both very energetic and intense.
A lot of the songs work better when actually playing, but they're still pretty good.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
dylanmc12 said:
The Wykydtron said:
The song for Persona 4's ending (Nevermore) made me genuinely cry.

Tears of manliness, of course.
Pffft, the entire ending to Persona 4 made me cry three times in a row. As in start once, recover then start over again. The end of the final boss, the goodbye stuff then the fucking photo at the end. Get on my level

Whenever anything makes me emotional, I get proper emotional. I'm either straight faced, laughing at something that's supposed to be sad (Madoka Magica episode 3) or crying. Very little rides the tear in your eye but not crying line.

Besides, tears are the most manly of things. Remember Ancient Greece? No wait, was their thing homosexuality?

Half remembered Classical Civilisation lessons, never mind.

[sub][sub]Not gay![/sub][/sub]

Aug 19, 2010
The Mass Effect trilogy has some absolutely beautiful music, as does the Assassin's Creed franchise.
Don't forget Deus Ex: Human Revolution, or Crysis 2/3, or Dragon Age, or FTL.
There's tons, actually!

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
For being a fairly low budget twin stick shooter designed for mobile devices, the Spartan Assault Soundtrack isn't half bad <youtube=06lWofYT9w0>
Also this song in Halo 3 always captured the moment
<youtube=HIDR5ZBQBfo>
Fight Club in Assassin's Creed 3 was also pretty good, always liked to drag fights on for as long as possible when this played <youtube=gxU54NeKZJo>

There's a lot more great soundtracks that I missed out, I would recommend Assassin's Creed 2, Mass Effect and Guild Wars 2 among others

Vale

May 1, 2013
Mark of the Ninja is one of my favorite games of all time.
It also happens to have one of the best credits songs of all time.
Fits the tone quite well, too.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Tales of Vesperia and Xenoblade Chronicles are the soundtracks I tend to listen to the most. I also really enjoy the Super Mario Galaxy, Halo, Medal of Honor (WWII era), and Zelda soundtracks. However, I still think the best piece of music in any game comes from the original Call of Duty game:

It's been a long time since I played it, but the memories of being in the heat of battle and hearing that song start to play are still fresh.

Other exceptional pieces include the "Ring a Bell" instrumental that plays during the Tales of Vesperia credits, the Medal of Honor (original) theme, and "Toberumono" from The Last Story.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
One of my all time favourites.

I love the suicide mission theme as much as any other ME fan but The Shadow Broker soundtrack completely levels it and really mostly everything else that was composed for the Mass Effect series.
Really the whole soundtrack to this DLC is incredible it pains me to have to just pick such a small segment from it.

Again it's a pain picking one piece of music from this game but I think it's one of the strongest

And that's where I'm gonna stop. I'll leave it to someone else to post Unatco ;)

EDIT: Oh god how could I forget about Bioshock and Blood Dragon! >.<

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
So, people have already mentioned both Katawa Shoujo and Persona 4, So I'll throw out Dangan Ronpa. Hot damn is this music catchy, I listen to it all of the times
Would it be cheating to say games like Parappa the Rapper? being a rhythm game and all, it damn well better have a good soundtrack right?
Ooh! also, Blazblue. Best soundtrack of any fighting game ever, My personal favorites being the
FU RIN KA ZAN!!!

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
*Cracks knuckles*
Now let me begin my tale by telling all of you sacks of meat that Persona 4 has the best game soundtrack ever made.
The music in Persona 4 perfectly complements the game and all of the emotions you feel as the player. Grief, Sadness, Happiness, Despair, Triumph, Anger, and so on. All of it works perfectly and no other game I've played has a battle theme that gives me that true "Fuck yeah! Time to kick some ass!" feeling that Persona 4 has. Persona 3 comes close with The Battle For Everyone's Souls, but it pales in comparison to these songs!

I also really love Persona 3's soundtrack. It's really good and has a more modern hip-hop/pop feel to it, but it doesn't have quite the wide enough variety of tunes that Persona 4 has.

As for other games...
I love Wind Waker's soundtrack. It had a very eastern feel to it because of how they implemented the acoustic guitar into the songs.
Other excellent soundtracks include:
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl
Recettear
Bastion
Final Fantasy IX
Hotline Miami
FTL: Faster Than Light
The Binding of Isaac
Shin Megami Tensei (3) - Nocturne
Shin Megami Tensei IV
Pokemon Colosseum
Journey
Deus Ex

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Hitman 2 Silent Assassin. If you want one track in particular I would have to say St. Petersburg but really the whole soundtrack is brilliant (although undoubtedly better as part of the game rather than played on its own on YouTube). Frankly just about anything by Jesper Kyd is going to be all win so give his entire catalogue a listen.

Also Skyrim has 3-4 hours of soundtrack (available on YouTube). Again it's at its best as part of a game but even just listening to it on its own is pretty epic, it was the soundtrack for a large chunk of my degree as I had it on in the background so often.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
A music thread? Awesome. I'll post some of my recent favourites.

"KDD-0063" - The King of Fighters XIII

"Negai" - Muv-Luv series

"Song of the Ancients (Popola ver.)" - Nier