Gaming suggestions for a girl who loves RPGs?

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
Hi Escapists,

I'm in a gaming rut, I don't know what I should try next. I'd really appreciate some suggestions, in your opinion are there any essential games I'm missing out on? I really love RPGs, I don't mind games with a lot of violence as long as it has a compelling story line. I love the Dragon Age series, Mass Effect trilogy, L.A. Noire, KOTOR, GTA: IV and GTA: V. I've played a couple of CODs and have enjoyed some of the stories, just shooter games aren't my go-to for de-stressing and enjoyment. Since my childhood The Sims franchise has been my favorite game, but since EA sucks, I can barely play TS3 without crashing or freezing.

Thanks for taking the time to read and have a great day! :)

EDIT: I have a gaming PC, PS2, Xbox 360, Nintendo DS and Gamecube.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
If you like Bioware, you should check out Jade Empire. It's on the Xbox Live marketplace.
If you like Rockstar, check out Bully-- also on the marketplace.

We both pretty much like the same games apparently so maybe you'll enjoy those as well.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
You've already got a lot of the modern western RPGs covered on that list. How do you feel about JRPGs? There are some great JRPGs out there with awesome stories if you want some suggestions.

Persona 3 and 4 have huge female fan-bases for example.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
maybe dark souls 2 or fallout 3

or persona 4 if you have either a PS2, PS3 or a PS vita

those are the only RPGs ive been able to enjoy

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
Fappy said:
You've already got a lot of the modern western RPGs covered on that list. How do you feel about JRPGs? There are some great JRPGs out there with awesome stories if you want some suggestions.

I have no problem with them, I just haven't heard of many besides Final Fantasy, Ace Attorney or Pokemon, heh heh. XP(The later two I have played and enjoyed.)So, if I dive into JRPGs do you think I should start with Persona?

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
Longing said:
If you like Bioware, you should check out Jade Empire. It's on the Xbox Live marketplace.
If you like Rockstar, check out Bully-- also on the marketplace.

We both pretty much like the same games apparently so maybe you'll enjoy those as well.
Oh cool! I've heard of Bully but have never heard of Jade Empire, it looks really interesting, I'll keep that one in mind!

Sep 14, 2009
I'll also suggest jade empire, it is made by bioware and is definite down the same vein of stories like kotor was designed.

Since you liked mass effect, perhaps try alpha protocol? it is an rpg first, shooter second, but the story is VERY fluid depending on your decisions so it makes for a fun replay by making entirely different decisions.

fable 1 (or better called fable: the lost chapters edition) is a light hearted rpg, but definitely fun and worth a playthrough, it gives a pretty good grasp on being good or evil at any given moment.

If you enjoy south park at all, the stick of truth just came out this spring and as a south park fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and the rpg mechanics weren't bad to boot

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:

I have no problem with them, I just haven't heard of many besides Final Fantasy, Ace Attorney or Pokemon, heh heh. XP(The later two I have played and enjoyed.)So, if I dive into JRPGs do you think I should start with Persona?
If you have a 3DS, Bravely Default is a new and very good JRPG.

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
NuclearKangaroo said:
maybe dark souls 2 or fallout 3

or persona 4 if you have either a PS2, PS3 or a PS vita

those are the only RPGs ive been able to enjoy
My brother has been trying to get me to play Fallout: New Vegas - but the whole post-apocalyptic theme that has overloaded movies, games and television lately, has got me not too eager to try it. Dark Souls looks cool! I'll definitely research that. And yes, I have a PS2.

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
Lilani said:
KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:

If you have a 3DS, Bravely Default is a new and very good JRPG.
I don't have a 3DS, yet...I'm currently attempting to sell my DS Lite and that money will go towards a 3DS.

Tamayo

May 16, 2014
If you like JRPGs, you can stand old WRPGs, and the very best of those is Planescape: Torment. If you can stand shooters, but like RPGS, and can stand awful graphics and voice acting, then do not miss Deus Ex.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
KitKatAttack said:
I don't have a 3DS, yet...I'm currently attempting to sell my DS Lite and that money will go towards a 3DS.
Well, you can get Etrian Odyssey 2 & 3, which are on the DS.
EO4 and Untold (re-release of EO1) are out on the 3DS.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:

Persona 3 and 4 are usually on the top of everyone's "Must Play JRPGs" lists because they strike a nice balance between fun/interesting combat and deep/cathartic storytelling.

Both games can be played on the PS2 and PS3 (via PSN download) or on the Vita. Persona 4 Golden is the best version of Persona 4 and is only available on Vita while Persona 3 has two very different versions to pick from: Persona 3: FES and Persona 3 Portable. The former is only on PS2/3 and the latter is only PSP/Vita. FES is better from a technical standpoint (it was designed for superior hardware), but the portable version lets you play as a chick, and the female protagonist is more interesting than her male counterpart in my opinion.

Both games are self-contained, so it doesn't matter what order you play them in. I started with Persona 4 after having not played a JRPG in over half a decade and loved it. Persona 3 isn't as good, but I went and played that as well. Both are great games :D

EDIT: Just remember I actually reviewed Persona 4 on this site a few years ago if you want to see my thoughts on the game in overbearing detail lol: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.387316-Persona-4-Review-I-Will-Find-the-Truth

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
gmaverick019 said:
I'll also suggest jade empire, it is made by bioware and is definite down the same vein of stories like kotor was designed.

Since you liked mass effect, perhaps try alpha protocol? it is an rpg first, shooter second, but the story is VERY fluid depending on your decisions so it makes for a fun replay by making entirely different decisions.

fable 1 (or better called fable: the lost chapters edition) is a light hearted rpg, but definitely fun and worth a playthrough, it gives a pretty good grasp on being good or evil at any given moment.

If you enjoy south park at all, the stick of truth just came out this spring and as a south park fan, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and the rpg mechanics weren't bad to boot
Wow, thank you, those are some really good suggestions. I just watched an Alpha Protocol video, and the death animations, oh my god I laughed so hard! Maybe I'll give it a go. And wow, Fable looks awesome! I've always really loved fantasy/medieval games, definitely want it. Yes, I do like South Park(I prefer Family Guy though) that game looks really hilarious, my brother loves south park and will want it. :)

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
Fappy said:
KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:

Persona 3 and 4 are usually on the top of everyone's "Must Play JRPGs" lists because they strike a nice balance between fun/interesting combat and deep/cathartic storytelling.

Both games can be played on the PS2 and PS3 (via PSN download) or on the Vita. Persona 4 Golden is the best version of Persona 4 and is only available on Vita while Persona 3 has two very different versions to pick from: Persona 3: FES and Persona 3 Portable. The former is only on PS2/3 and the latter is only PSP/Vita. FES is better from a technical standpoint (it was designed for superior hardware), but the portable version lets you play as a chick, and the female protagonist is more interesting than her male counterpart in my opinion.

Both games are self-contained, so it doesn't matter what order you play them in. I started with Persona 4 after having not played a JRPG in over half a decade and loved it. Persona 3 isn't as good, but I went and played that as well. Both are great games :D

EDIT: Just remember I actually reviewed Persona 4 on this site a few years ago if you want to see my thoughts on the game in overbearing detail lol: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.387316-Persona-4-Review-I-Will-Find-the-Truth
Wow, thank you so much for all the information and your review was great, I laughed pretty hard! I definitely want to try them both. :)

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:
KitKatAttack said:
Fappy said:

Wow, thank you so much for all the information and your review was great, I laughed pretty hard! I definitely want to try them both. :)

I try to find excuses to dig these old fossils up every now and then, lol. That review was written before Golden came out, so if you have a Vita I would definitely suggest that version of the game over the original.

Longing

Nov 29, 2012
Tamayo said:
If you like JRPGs, you can stand old WRPGs, and the very best of those is Planescape: Torment. If you can stand shooters, but like RPGS, and can stand awful graphics and voice acting, then do not miss Deus Ex.
I will second Planescape, that game has the best story and atmosphere out of any that I've ever played. If you prefer modern games, the isometric graphics may put you off a bit, but it is so so good.

KitKatAttack

Jul 7, 2014
Tamayo said:
Planescape looks awesome! Some of the critical responses to Deus Ex has made me hesitant to play, still a bit iffy about it, but maybe I'll give it a chance. Thanks. :)