Gaming videos

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I was curious as to how everyone felt about gaming videos. Do you watch them? Do you find them entertaining? Are they a waste of time? What are your thoughts?

I just recently started making videos and uploading them to Youtube just as a fun little thing to do on the side. It's added a little more to my gaming time for myself. I do a little commentary and stuff and generally just have fun with what I'm doing.

I find them incredibly entertaining and watch two people on youtube regularly that do it. How do you feel about them?

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I've always wondered why people make the argument that they're a waste of time... Like 99% of Youtube is time wasting entertainment not to mention the countless other sites out there.

OT: I watch loads of LoL videos primarily because they can be really fun when someone knows how to shoutcast them well. PlayerPOV has the best shoutcasts ever check 'em out.

Taking the piss out of shoutcasting, while shoutcasting.

"VOLIBEAR! WHAT THE FUCK?!

Second is me attempting to learn things and stuff. I really need a Jayce tutorial. He has so many abilities and the only one I really know how to use is his mega E, Q poke in Cannon Form and his hilarious Q,E harass in Hammer Form.

He has so much stuff to choose from that in high pressure situations i'm just mashing buttons because LOL idk what i'm doing >.<

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I usually only watch fighting game tournaments on youtube ( when i'm not watchig some live ones on twitch.tv) . I like seeing pros play , and seeing their playstyles . Also i want to see the gap between me and top players . Usually it's huge .

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I watch a fair share. Usually to see what new shiny thing I've never heard of is on Steam now.

Also, Retsupurae.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
I've always wondered why people make the argument that they're a waste of time... Like 99% of Youtube is time wasting entertainment not to mention the countless other sites out there.

OT: I watch loads of LoL videos primarily because they can be really fun when someone knows how to shoutcast them well. PlayerPOV has the best shoutcasts ever check 'em out.

Taking the piss out of shoutcasting, while shoutcasting.

"VOLIBEAR! WHAT THE FUCK?!

Second is me attempting to learn things and stuff. I really need a Jayce tutorial. He has so many abilities and the only one I really know how to use is his mega E, Q poke in Cannon Form and his hilarious Q,E harass in Hammer Form.

He has so much stuff to choose from that in high pressure situations i'm just mashing buttons because LOL idk what i'm doing >.<
Bahahahahaha That is hysterical. Love it.

I've also heard the "thats a waste of time, why not play the game yourself?" argument too. Why don't they just go play football too? Or Baseball? Such a dumb argument to me.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
piinyouri said:
I useful tool when deciding if I want to buy a game or not.
Pretty much this. Seeing gameplay videos made before launch or trailers for a game usually wont give you enough to judge a game. If I look at a game and get slightly interested I will look up videos of someone playing it to see if it looks good.

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
I usually watch commentaries or the odd walk-through for a particular section if I'm really stuck. I've been too busy making my own lately to really keep up with others, though.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Nah, i'd rather play a game than watch someone else do it. The odd achievement needs a little video but other than that i don't find them usefull or entertaining. I much prefer written help to visual help...keeps my brain functioning at peak game-slaying performance.

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
I watch some Lets plays and sometimes I watch videos showcasing Skyrim mods.

Tried my hand and making gaming videos but I've put that on hold for a while.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I am not really into them.
I have a few friends who are into this guy who plays CoD and NBA2K. Chriss Smoove I think is his name, he's pretty funny actually :)

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
I enjoy watching some gaming videos, usually of games I'm not going to play any time soon.
Other than that, the occasional tip video, or long-running LP are welcome, as well as keeping up to date with latest releases. Concordantly, I'm subbed to TotalHalibut, Jesse Cox, Yogscast and their subsidiaries, as well as other gaming channels.

Valanthe

Sep 24, 2009
My youtube subscriptions, in order of favorite to "still awesome but not so much," are:

Miracleofsound Needs no introduction
Freddiew Makes awesome vids, many of them game themed
Roosterteeth Makers of Red vs. Blue, first machinima I ever watched, and too much other content to list
Sacriel42, Oshiseven, Dasquirrelsnuts, Fhrope A group of youtubers who play as a squad in DayZ, Battlefield 3, and recently, Planetside 2
Mandopony, Acousticbrony Musicians who specialize in pony inspired music
OMFGCata, Totalhalibut Formerly known as Emperor and Totalbiscuit of WoWRadio fame.

And some other minor subs which don't need to be listed.

With that said, I think my stance on Gaming Videos is fairly clear. Are they a waste of time? Duh, that's what Youtube was invented for, but like the comedy network says, it's "Time Well Wasted!"

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
I watch a lot of gaming channels on Youtube. Probably too many, but it's entertaining and a good way of experiencing games that I can't play myself. Favourites are probably TotalHalibut, Two Best Friends Play (and their own channel, TheSw1tcher), Trendkillv01 (mostly LPs, with guides mixed in), SideStrafe (subscribed mostly for his DayZ stuff), Seananners, IndieStatik (lots of reviews and LPs for more under-the-radar games), Roosterteeth, Antvenom (lots of Minecraft content), and CaptainSparklez (also lots of Minecraft content), although I do watch others.

Mordekaien

Sep 3, 2010
The only two I watch are:

TB and Spoiler Warning. The first one because it helps me decide if I'm going to buy the game, the second one mostly for laughs, and sometimes they raise very good points.

Jan 13, 2012
Well, I always watch a good ole RT Achievement Hunter video when they come out. I love their running theme on their Minecraft Lets Play, "Tower of Pimps", ah... glorious!

Edit: Damn, forgot about AlChestBreach. Some of his videos are deliciously hilarious.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I usually find them very bad, only a very select few have a watched and thought 'this is good'. I think they have to be pretty funny for me to really consider watching them for any real length of time.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Eh, I find them boring unless their walkthroughs most of the time. Exception being the literal trailers. Walkthroughs, whilst boring, are at least good for getting an idea of the gameplay, and figuring out how to get past a point that you've got no idea about in some games.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I watch all of Achievement Hunter's stuff and, subsequently, Rage Quit Michael's LP's on his own channel.

Other than that, I only really watch Egoraptor's Sequelitis videos; they're really interesting as well as amusing.