gaming = war crime

daemoni

Jul 21, 2010
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/red-cross-violent-video-games-violate-international-law-2011128/

I didn't see this posted anywhere else. If it is, sorry.

What are your thoughts on this... war crime?

If someone is going to convict me of being a war criminal for a video game, I hereby demand; magical powers, as seen when I'm throwing fireballs and healing wounds. An interstellar spaceship, power armor, and related technology that I was using to save the galaxy from evil. Physics defying abilities - speed, taking no damage from falling large distances, ability to jump over buildings in a single bound. I'm apparently at risk of being a war criminal, so give me the fantasy perks and abilities that I can apparently not distinguish from reality. Thank you

ghostrider9876

Aug 5, 2011
There is another thread on this somewhere; I remember posting in it. However, there could never be enough threads to adequately represent how stupid it is for the Red Cross to be wasting time on this bullshit.

Smeggs

Oct 21, 2008
I set off a Nuke over America, killed a general, and then blew up another race's entire home planet.

According to Red Cross, I'm more pro at genocide than Hitler.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Just another example of people who can't separate fiction from reality... it's a damn shame this time, it's coming from people as significant as the Red Cross, though, and not just some idiotic mother who doesn't want their child to enjoy themselves.

Mordereth

Jun 19, 2009
I do believe there was one, because there was an article and they seem to always have an automatically made forum thread.

But yes, like was said the first time: this is the Geneva Convention trying to exert control over fantasy because they lack the ability to do so over reality. I find things like the tourists being blown away in MW3 disgusting and strange and don't buy games that try to sell themselves to me like that, but it's totally outside of the scope of the international organization trying to promote peace and proper international conduct to promote what is censorship by any other name.

As for the "can't in reality bit"; I'd feel very enriched and educated if you could find an instance of whistle-blowing of their's that's caused any dictatorship or 1st world country to stop doing what it pleased. Unfortunately, I believe such a search (as I have endeavored only shortly prior to posting) will yield no fruit.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Lets jail everyone who had read a murder mystery book while we're at it

mau5trap

Nov 20, 2011
So my stats for GTA, Elder Scrolls, fallout, and Call of Duty I'm the reincarnation of Satan

Najos

Aug 4, 2008
Yeeeeah...guess they should probably start doing something about all of those movies and books too.