Gaming with out the music.

DM.

Mar 27, 2009
Strong Intelligent said:
I think Guitar Hero's music really made the game perfect, y'know?
Really I think the game wouldn't be any different without the music.

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
In almost every game, I have the music off and play something else in WMP (though sometimes it'll happen to be a song from the game). These days it's usually some psytrance.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Music really does help lift a game from good to great in my eyes. Properly thought out music in a game adds to the atmosphere.

I have a collection of music from various games (as well as remixes from here http://www.ocremix.org/ ) which I can listen to if I think a game's music isn't good enough, or if I'm sick of hearing it. Very good for Morrowind and other Bethesda games, because of the amount of time you spend, you really need a lot of variety of music. Also useful for strategy games, I quite like having the C&C music playing while playing Civ4, makes me a bit more militaristic!

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
honestly i dont usually pay attention to the music. back in the days before voice acting i used to hit mute and put a cd on while i was gaming. however i know that even if i dont pay attention to the music it does add to the experience of the game. especially when the music warns you of nearby enemies.

The_Rev

Mar 26, 2009
Best incidental music: L4D. Nothing gets the heart rate up than the drums/cymbals before a mob!

Also, thinking of the old timey music in the intros to the Fallout series.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
As someone whose child hood memroies consisted of playing Banjo-Kazooie in my sister's room with the volume down so she could listen to Rage Against The Machine, I'd say the music is important to the feel of the game.

lollipopz

Jan 11, 2009
Hurr, most of my favourite games have a wonderful soundtrack and it's part of the game which I love. TWEWY, is my favourite DS game and has an amazing soundtrack. In fact I picked up afro samurai and the only thing I like about it is the soundtrack

BUT like a few games I don't pay attention. Gears, resi evil, games like that I don't really pay attention. I wouldn't research it beforehand 3:

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
I play my own soundtracks over the top of games at times depends on what im playing, rpgs not that often but sometimes, action/fps/fighting etc all the time.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Noob_Tube said:
1. Would your favorite game, that you know and love, be the same without the soundtrack backing it?

2. Games rely heavily on the composer they use.

3. In closing, would your favorite games be your favorites without the soundtrack? Would it have touched you differently? How would your experience have changed? Probably a lot.

4. Post your favorite moment in a game, where the music could have made or broke the scene.
1: My favorite games (plural(!)) would definitely not be remotely the same. Fallout 2, F-Zero GX, Unreal Tournament, Total Annihilation, SupCom, Starcraft, Duke Nukem, the list goes on and on, and the soundtracks for all of these games were awesome - anywhere from orchestral to midi to industrial rock.

2: Yeah, they do! My current favorite is Jeremy Soule - he did the soundtracks for Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, Guild Wars, and plenty of other games and movies.

3: (see 1 for first part) - certain cutscenes go very well with music, but as for touching me differently, I suppose not since most of my favorite games are much less story-driven, tear/emotion-jerking games.

My experience would have changed very much so, though. Imagine Starcraft without classic Terran Theme 1. Imagine Duke Nukem (which I can't even think of without hearing the theme song) accompanied by a slow, melodic piano piece. Imagine Fallout 3 accompanied by Hannah Montana. It just doesn't work.

4: This one is real tough. Going by how it affected the game itself and not personal experiences (ie: music coincidentally syncing the snares and heavy guitar hits with my rocket launcher explosions, hearing some music, getting motivated, and kicking ass)...

I guess I'd have to go with Kingdom Hearts 2... (Yes, I'm serious.) Several cutscenes were made much more emotional, moving, and touching when accompanied by the haunting, depressing, yet sadly beautiful melody of "Dearly Beloved."

And at the same time, the music certainly BROKE the game as well. If you don't think so, just go to Atlantis and try to not turn the sound off as you "play" there.

C0RV4L0U5 said:
Im trying to imagine any of the ssx series with out the kickass sountracks... the thought scares me
Yeah, this definitely deserves an honorable mention. SSX Tricky especially.

roastbeefy

Apr 20, 2009
The final boss fight in MGS3 wouldn't be the same without the Snake Eater song chiming in halfway through the fight. It's also great in the final boss fight in MGS4, the way it changes as you proceed, things start getting faster, then Snake and Liquid deck each other in the face, the Old Snake theme starts, and the two can barely keep standing.

Rivana

Mar 26, 2009
The soundtracks in Age of Conan and Lord of the Rings Online are really amazing. It is sometimes nice just to load up certain zones and just stand and listen to the music playing in the background.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
I played Final Fantasy 1 to a tape of ACDCs Razor's Edge, many times. Final Fantasy remains one of my favorite nostalgia games, where I love the actual music, and I also like my "replacement" soundtrack.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
The two best games ever:
1. Kingdom Hearts
2. Bioshock

They'd be nothing without their score, which incidentally are the best scores in any game.

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
Tough to call my favourite game. Of all games, the soundtrack is the best in Shadow of the Colossus. If you played through without listening, go play through it again. Do it. Now. Hear the beautiful orchestra massage your ears and your brain until it feels as if your entirely immersed in the peaceful glades, until your feel the rumble of the Colossi under your feet.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
In most of my games the music is completely disposable and I can easily stick Pandora on in the background. I can't really think of a game in my collection that's completely dependent on its soundtrack.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
Noob_Tube said:
Post your favorite moment in a game, where the music could have made or broke the scene.
Final Fantasy VII:
When Aeris dies, the music fits so perfectly when you see Cloud cry over her body, it made me cry.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I don't think I would've liked GTA San Andreas half as much as I did if I wasn't listening to Master Sounds the whole time. Maybe I would've but I would sometimes put that game in to just listen to that station while driving around the state doing casual drive-bys.

Other games have amazing soundtracks that don't even make or break the game: Katamari Damacy was such an amazing game, it could've had christian rock playing in the background but they had a kooky soundtrack that really fit in well with the game.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Without the music, I wouldn't know when enemies saw be in Oblivion, and then I'd turn around while wondering the wilderness to see 10 enemies trying to catch me. And the title screen wouldn't be as epic.

This is why I stopped using custom soundtracks during it.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
in most games i turn the music off and in gta games i'll listen sometimes when i'm driving around just to kill the monotony but nothing drives me quackers is when ya can't shut it off that should always be an option

JDM_117

Feb 10, 2010
The games that have nice songs are HALO,ZELDA,METAL GEAR SOLID and yea. well thats my opinion :D