Gamings Greatest Worlds?

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Open World / Sandbox games seem to be becoming ever more prevalent and seem to be getting larger and more varied. Hell if San Andreas can do what it did, you can be damned sure modern consoles aren't going to be left wanting.
But what games do you think really do the genre justice and what games did the open world seem like pointless afterthought?

Can the games really get much bigger before we get 'e-zuasted'? And what topography is seriously under represented by these huge landscapes?

What games have you lost hours of your life to, to the point where going back years later feels like a genuine trip back home and what have you been glad to see the back of?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

GTA: San Andreas:

Previous iterations of the GTA series may have given us cities and eras to explore, but it wasn't until San Andreas squeezed every last drop out of it's consoles that we realised just how ambitious Rockstar were. From getting out of jail to flying a Harrier Jumpjet. San Andreas was the game that kept on giving... Mission after awesome mission or just being allowed to drive around the brilliantly rendered state, the game was truly huge and a promise of things to come when he next gen. dropped...

Anyone who didn't jump off the mountain didn't play this game.

The Getaway:

This is one of many games that rode the coat tails of the GTA juggernaut but did something unique in that it gave us London to use as a play area. This included the main areas everyone knows, but the real joy lie in exploring it's back-streets and dark alleys. All the little nooks and crannies that make London an uneasy place for the lost tourist.
Some of the player mechanics were on the ropey side, just trying to walk your protagonist was like steering a monkey on a dodgem, and driving at speed in the capital proved just as dangerous as it would in real life. But the driving was pretty good at the time and each car felt like an individual vehicle rather than re-skinned models for sports or... non...sports... (I suck at cars...)
The voice work was great, all 'fack vis' and 'cant vat' and the violence was visceral with a great sense of impact. Could be damned tricky at times but a great experience regardless. The less said about the sequel, however, the better.

I dant go sarf this time a nat, lav...

There have been various rumblings of a re-boot over the years and it would be great to see it make a comeback, but with various cities being made for games this gen. The impetus may have been lost and this will remain an interesting experiment that paved the way in what it did, but never really had the chance to prove it's value as a series.

Oblivion / Fallout 3

Both of these games offer similar experiences in different ways. While a lot of the mechanics are the same, some of it works better in one title than it does in the other. These games should be played as FPS for total immersion, but the combat can be a little clunky. Indeed, for a game that uses melee as the main fight system, the fighting in Oblivion is far from smooth and works a lot better in Fallout, a game that is primarily geared towards shooting.

Walking out of that sewer was an experience akin with entering Donnington for the first time.

However, to moan about the combat is to miss the point of these titles, and that is exploring. Bethesda have given us huge areas to explore in Washington and Cyrodil, respectively, and the expansion in the DLC have provided us with worlds that make San Andreas look like a Pac-Man level.

New Vegas, from Obsidian, was a bit hit and miss, I could never really relax while playing it due to all the horror stories of lost saves and game breaking glitches, and the play area seemed far too fussy and convoluted compared to F3's easily navigable map. And, despite spending all the time I did with F3, right up until NV's release, I was absolutely gutted that NV didn't draw me in like it's bigger brother. Not through any unwillingness on my part, but because Bethesda gave us a broken game that still hasn't been properly patched, and so ruins that all important sense of immersion.
Here's hoping Skyrim doesn't suffer the same fate... (it won't!)

Inon Zurs music made for a foreboding and gut-wrenching experience.

Just Cause 2
This one is massive.... scratch that.... !!!MASSIVE!!!. If you zoom in on your area of the map (South West for me) and then zoom out it's a daunting prospect, and don't be fooled, Avalanche Studios understand it's not just the size, it's what you do with it that counts, so it's jammed with side quests and missions and opportunities for stunts and crazy assed gameplay that would make Michael Bay a martyr to his Priapism for a decade. And it looks utterly stunning. Flying across the map in one of the many choppers rewards you with lush greens and brilliant blues as well as open cities and mountains. Some of the design choices seem a bit remiss (only buy one weapon at a time... really..?) and some have said that it's a one trick pony... but these people are idiots who could be locked in a room with a cardboard tube... and it would never occur to them to pretend to be Megatron.

Who needs bank knacking exotic vacations when developers are doing it for you?

My one wish in life is that Avalanche Studios get the call for Dead Island 2... Just imagine the possibilities...

Just a few choices that have stuck with me over the years, I've missed a few out; while I loved, loved, loved Borderlands, it's map left a lot to be desired and was there to stop your characters falling into space and while Far Cry 2 looked utterly stunning... you soon realised that the game was a lesson in frustration.

Surely the greatest image in gaming promotion ever!

Dead Island seems to have split opinion like an axe to the face, those that love it really love it and then there are those that cannot see past it's failings, but hell, an open world zombie game... with one of the greatest rap songs since Boom! Shake the Room! What's not to love?!?!?!
Here's hoping the respective sequels fix these issues... it's looking pretty positive.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Azeroth deserves a mention in this thread. I absolutely adore Blizzard for their skill in atmosphere building. Despite the relatively simplistic graphical technology they manage to cram so much detail and soul in the world they constructed.

Especially when you combine that with their amazing music, and you get one of my favourite game worlds ever. The dark and foreboding forests of Duskwood, the damp jungles of Ungoro Crater, bombastic Silvermoon City, the chilly woodlands of Grizzly Hills, their levels truly are works of art.

Volkov

Dec 4, 2010
Good thread.

Full Throttle. Yes, it's not a "world" per say (really just a slightly dystopian future) - but still, watch the Malcolm Corley eulogy video on YouTube; it's one of the most thought and emotion provoking experiences of my youth, and the sort of set of priorities and competing biker gangs that the game works under is at least as important an element of the world as a large map and lots of proper nouns.

Well, certainly WarCraft universe (Azeroth and others). I prefer other MMORPGs (LotRO), but still, it's a well-presented, atmospheric world, largely so because of its lower level areas. Higher level are much worse imho.

Fallout, but not the Elder Scrolls 5 Fallout - only Fallout 1 and 2 world. Burning children with a flamethrower and watching them run around on fire is something that filled me with delight and Fallout 3 couldn't come close to replacing. (Yes, I dislike Fallout 3).

I really like the Dragon Age universe, and although Dragon Age II was a completely atrocious game - Dragon Age: Origins drew me in, and I enjoyed it, partly because of the world.

Syberia's world also. Just a gorgeous, melancholic, kind of "stuck in time" world and people in it.

The winner to me, though, is Full Throttle. The atmosphere of that game has not been beaten since. I must stress though, I was young, I am not claiming to be objective.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
kman123 said:
Yeah you stole Just Cause 2 >.< it IS the biggest gaming map ever. It's seriously fucking huge.
Uh, no it's not.
http://static02.mediaite.com/geekosystem/uploads/2010/05/Large-Video-Game-Worlds.jpg
Read the sidebar. Daggerfall trumped everything by a vast margin.

Anyway, one for me has been the overall world of Ivalice, in particular the new era of it. We've seen many areas of it's world, during the old world and new, and it's just one that has stuck with me. I love the variety of races in it, and just the right mix of magic and science. It's one of the handful of reasons I revere FF12 with such high regard, despite my current absolute hatred of what SE has become.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
The_Deleted said:
New Vegas, from Obsidian, was a bit hit and miss, I could never really relax while playing it due to all the horror stories of lost saves and game breaking glitches,
Yeah, because Oblivion and Fallout 3 had no bugs at all...

and the play area seemed far too fussy and convoluted compared to F3's easily navigable map.
Yeah, I really enjoyed navigating the constant metro tunnels and sewers of Fallout 3 because every street in DC was blocked by debris. The major highways in New Vegas were just impossible to navigate, they were just so straightforward I couldn't understand them! And the New Vegas strip was a nightmare, I had no idea where I was going, I didn't know whether to go straight, straight or straight!

And, despite spending all the time I did with F3, right up until NV's release, I was absolutely gutted that NV didn't draw me in like it's bigger brother.
Ignoring the fact that New Vegas has just as much, if not more, content than Fallout 3.

Not through any unwillingness on my part, but because Bethesda gave us a broken game that still hasn't been properly patched, and so ruins that all important sense of immersion.
Ever since the patches I have had no problems with glitches.

OT: The Dragon Realms, Forgotten Worlds and Avalar of the Spyro series are some of my personal favourites with a wide variety of landscapes and inhabitants. The Solana, Bogon and Polaris galaxies of the Ratchet and Clank series were very nicely designed and varied.

Johnnydillinger

Aug 16, 2011
Nice thread!

I'll try to contribute to it but my choices are a bit more simple and they aren't sandbox games at all. Here they are:

Hillys from Beyond Good & Evil (HD)

Definitely seems like a place to spend a holiday on, despite the constant alien attacks and the oppressive government. That is maybe because of the fact that most of it is water, and if I love something in games it's water; actually the Ecco series is something of a goldmine for me.

The whole world map from Donkey Kong Country

Every game needs a good change of environments to have some variety, or to make an illusion of variety (Bioshock and the System Shocks had a hard time with this). DKC has them all; the snowy level, underwater stages, ice caves, mines, factories, forests, jungles, rainy levels, it's got it all. Now I'm bringing this one up as an example because there's a lot of games that do the same, like Adventure Island 2, the otherwise mediocre Atlantis: The Lost Empire game by Disney and so many more. IT's just that DKC does it the best I think.

The "organic" cities from various games

alright, here are a few examples:

Anachronox:

Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution

These games feature the most realistic slices of cities, mainly because they feel more lively than any other city in a sandbox game. That is because there are people living there going on with their business; you can interact with them, some will even give you sidequests, and all in all the whole thing just feels real. I can't get a full grip on why they feel so real besides the above, but this formula always worked for me. An honorable mention would be arguably the KOTOR series, but there I was more amazed by the environment and it was more phantasy-like than real.

These are the ones I could remember off the top of my head, though there's one more that strangely has a place here, and it's The Need For Speed. The first NFS game has only like 7 levels but they are very distinguishable from each other. Once again, the variety makes the trick here but for some reason whenever I pick up the game again and start playing, I end up saying "Oh, I remember this! Kinda missed this place". Yeah, "Place", not "level" or "Stage". Why? I don't know but it's always like that, and I love it this way.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
the fallotu worlds, not nessicarly from an in game perscpetive but jsut for the uniqueness and quirkyness

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
This may draw some ire from the Elder Scrolls fans, but one of my all-time favourite worlds is Gothic. The kingdom of Myrtana is huge, and while it may not be as large as some of the Elder Scrolls worlds, like the OP says it's what you do with it. Also, it should be noted that the Gothic games get larger as the numbers increase (compare Daggerfall or Arena with Morrowind and you'll see what I mean). Gothic II has the entire Gothic map attached to it.

Gothic just felt so wonderfully fleshed out. Maybe you can't finish it in 7 and a half minutes, but right from the start you're presented with history and a world you can actually interact with - climbing ladders, turning winches to open gates, sitting around a campfire playing a lute... the world just felt so alive. Morrowind had a tonne more literature (which I carried on reading long after I'd finished the game) but actually playing it felt more like an FPS - running around in a flat, non-interactive world, lining up enemies with a crosshair so my giant sword-swing would actually hit, conversations which were never voiced beyond "Greetings, Outlander"... the keyword-clicking dialogues hailed back to the Exile series (one of my other all-time favourite series) from the '90s, which is fine if your aim is a retro feel.

EDIT: Didn't really finish this the first time. I'll admit much of this is execution rather than lore, but a compelling world is one that draws you in, which Gothic did.

As for Exile, I realise it's up to its second remake, but it's one of those few worlds that I love enough to keep coming back. Avadon (also by Spiderweb) is also shaping up to be interesting, but I haven't gotten far enough through it to say much more.
Obviously, given Exile's retro look, the most compelling thing about it is its world - the lore, the characters, their interactions. Hawthorne may be something of a generic evil emperor, but characters like Erika, Solberg, Elspeth and X really shine through.
Exile 3 gives us a crash-course in Erika before we even meet her - "Erika's Tower - If you don't know you're invited, you aren't". The death-traps and golems were a big enough hint in the first two but not everybody started at the beginning. Solberg gets older, more powerful and more cantankerous and bitter every time we see him. Elspeth and Nance go through so much change in the first 3 games it's always a pleasure to catch up with one of them and see they're still alive. And of course X is almost lovably eccentric, always hiding away in his dark little corner and trying to figure out how to drop a giant anvil on peoples' heads.

More importantly though, the world of Exile eschews much of the standard fantasy fare. Sure, it's got dragons, but they're rare and they've got enough personality to carry it. But orcs? Elves? None of that, thank you. The Sliths and the Nephilim (and their cousins the Nepharum) have some very interesting histories and cultures, continued and expanded on for 6 games. Likewise the Vahhnatai stand apart as their own race, unlike anything else in more common mythos.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
If we are to speak of worlds, then one must say Nirn. Which is the world the Elder Scrolls is set in. That covers all bases. And let us not forget?Morrowind was far more interesting than Cyrodiil.

razor0512

Mar 26, 2011
My favorite one was Just Cause 2. It had a great mix of urban,jungle,desert,snow, etc. and it was really HUGE.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
The Great Sea in Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker. It was helped by the fact that I actually really liked sailing from place to place, and the game just looked great, and it still does.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Gearhead mk2 said:
Does Minecraft-land count? If not, then prob Fallout 3
Minecraft is probably the ultimate open world game, to be fair. I'd love to play it but my PC won't run it for some reason. Just have to wait for XBLA.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Wow, No Azeroth? Every square meter of that place has a complete history and lore significance. Not to mention it's previous forms. They all have fully padded out history and lore too. And it keeps growing.