Gaming's Messiah.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
If you could pick a single videogame character to be the "Messiah" of videogames, who would it be?

A character who you think is the pinnacle of what gaming represents. Maybe the character you consider to be an iconic figure. Maybe just your favorite gaming character in general.

I would say Link. He is such a huge figure in the gaming world, and Ocarina of Time is considered one of the greatest of all time. Link has spanned across several consoles, from the Nintendo to handhelds, all the way up to the Wii. If I had to pick a character to represent the best of what gaming is, it would be Link.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Damn. I was ninja'd by the OP.

Okay, besides Link, I'd say.... Solid Snake.

He's just badass and the only person in history to be able to pull off a mullet.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
No one. It's the same reason why Jesus isn't the Messiah of Judaism and Buddhism. Everyone has different beliefs and likes.

Alias42

Sep 10, 2009
If we're talking honest Messiahses (sorry) here, I'd say Gabe Newell and Tim Schafer. They are currently the most solid, original game designers out there. Miyamoto would be more a kind of Holy Spirit guy or something: he lay the foundations and everything. How does this trinity thing work?

Anyway, I'd go with those two. They are the ones who defined for me what a game Could and Should be.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Before everyone says Gordon Freeman. I'd like to step in and nominate Tali, cause all the boys worship her.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
Master Chief, yea I go there.

Seriously love him or hate him he's a huge figure when it comes to video games and the culture of gameing.

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
Kogarian said:
No one. It's the same reason why Jesus isn't the Messiah of Judaism and Buddhism. Everyone has different beliefs and likes.
That's the thing though. I'm not trying to change what anyone thinks, I'm asking what everyone thinks. Just looking for everyone's opinions, I'm not trying to force mine on everyone else.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I'm just going to pretend the whole "video game character" part of your post doesn't exist so I can go with Shigeru Miyamoto. Gaming as it exists today probably would not exist were it not for him speaking the words of Jumpman 9: 13-85.

If you're going to make me say a character, then Jumpman/Mario, for the same reason listed above.

Soulgaunt

Jan 14, 2009
Gordon Freeman?
Julianking93 said:
Damn. I was ninja'd by the OP.

Okay, besides Link, I'd say.... Solid Snake.

He's just badass and the only person in history to be able to pull off a mullet.
I have to say that your avatar looks cuddly.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
I have to go with Mario. After the horrors of the first Video Game Crash, Mario and his ilk delivered us from gaming oblivion.

Say what you will of his current run of games. Without Super Mario Bros., gaming as we know it today probably wouldn't exist.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NOT Gordon Freeman.

His games are good, he sucks.

You heard me. GORDON FREEMAN SUCKS.

And don't give me, "b-b-b-b-b-ut he's got a crowbar!"

It'd likely Samus Aran. She talks. Sometimes...And narrates her games in text. And is FREAKING Samus.

Kogarian

Feb 24, 2008
Wakizashi74 said:
That's the thing though. I'm not trying to change what anyone thinks, I'm asking what everyone thinks. Just looking for everyone's opinions, I'm not trying to force mine on everyone else.
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was suggesting such. I just mean, someone who grew up in arcades decades ago would have a far different idea than a 12 year-old today. It'd be hard for me personally to choose any one character to represent all of my gaming experience.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
NOT Gordon Freeman.

It'd likely Samus Aran.
Great game, bad character.

MEssiah of Meatbags.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
NOT Gordon Freeman.

It'd likely Samus Aran.
Great game, bad character.

MEssiah of Meatbags.
NOW THERE IS A CHARACTER!

Hk-47, you are great, sadly, you are only in 2 games...

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
RamirezDoEverything said:
Captain Price. Hands down, one of the most bad@$$ characters, whether or not the storylines are good or not
you obviously did not see
Flying-Emu said:

MEssiah of Meatbags.
or not know who this guy is.