'Gangnam Style' Passes One Billion Views

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Yep, that's a "B".

The music video for Korean pop song by the artist PSY, "Gangnam Style", has officially passed the one billion view count. Not only did the video surpass Justin Bieber's "Baby" music video as the most watched video on Youtube, but the music video for Gangnam Style is also the first Youtube video to hit the one billion view count mark.

So yeah, it's safe to say that Gangnam Style is considered a part of worldwide/modern culture now.

I'm still undecided whether I loathe or am mildly annoyed by that fact.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well I really like the song so I'm glad it reached the milestone first as opposed to something I don't like (Baby for example)

I must say when somebody (I believe Sassafrass) posted it on the forums in July, I didn't think it would be nearly as popular as it became though.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Well internet, we did it

*Sniff*

I promised myself I wouldn't cry...

I LIED TO MYSELF :'D

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
I wonder how many people kept replaying over and over specifically so it would reach the one billion.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
PSY gets closer to taking over mankind, we gotta stop him!

I welcome this shift in music. Now my ears won't bleed as much when someone says that pop is somewhat good.

[sub]I lied. I fucking hate pop music as musician. Gangnam Style happens to be one of the many exceptions that proves this rule.[/sub]

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I put a single care into the bank aaaaaaaand it's gone!

Listened to the song once, didn't like it. Sticking to my metal kthxbye.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Meh.

It's a catchy song and all, but not something I absolutely love.

Still, it's better than a lot of things to have the honor of first video to reach that billion milestone

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
At least it deserves it, kinda.

This being the most viewed video ever is much truer to the nature of the internet than a Justin Bieber video or a comedy skit from 2002.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I like the song, but lets just say if someone gave me tickets to see Psy in concert for free I would give them to someone else...for free. It is catchy and fun, but I don't get how it is the most viewed video like ever.

pffh

Oct 10, 2008
American billion (thousand millions) or actual billion (million millions)?

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Considering the person he dethroned, I am quite pleased. This is my favourite pop song in recent memory (I normally hate most pop music).

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
well, popular things are popular for a reason
still looking for Will Smith in the video tho

just kidding, I actually kinda like the song, but holy fuck it's everywhere and it's tiresome

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
I wonder how many people kept replaying over and over specifically so it would reach the one billion.
I don't think it works that way. I believe it is based on IP address.

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
Even PSY said that he's sick of only being known for Gangnam Style, he has multiple albums out there and is trying to make his other songs better known.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I never understood the hate for Gangnam Style. Usually when people complain about pop music, it's because the artist a twat who thinks they're being deep or significant when they talk about their swag or whatever. But in this case, the guy is making FUN of people like that. I mean, I can understand thinking it's overused, but you can't blame PSY for that. Even HE'S sick of hearing the song. At least, according to some article on the Escapist I'm about 75% sure I read at some point.
Anyway, I'm going to take this oppertunity to share what I think SHOULD be the most viewed video on Youtube. I encourage everyone else to pass it along as well, because...Well, it's pretty awesome.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
How people can listen to one song that many times will always remain a mystery to me.

Especially since it's a rather boring song. The video is nicely done though.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
ShinyCharizard said:
Palademon said:
ShinyCharizard said:
I don't think it works that way. I believe it is based on IP address.
Well in that case I stand corrected
Wouldn't suprise me if people actually tried though.