Gantz

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Since the manga just concluded recently (in a spectacularly anticlimactic fashion, by the way) and I've rarely seen this franchise being talked about on this website, I'd just like some general discussion about it.

For the uninitiated, Gantz is a sci-fi action manga about a group of people who get teleported into a mysterious room with a black ball called Gantz in the middle. The catch is, all the people are supposed to be dead, but they've been chosen to participate in seemingly random hunts and battles against increasingly vicious and bizarre alien creatures by using super-advanced technology and weapons. The story is arc-based, as there is no overall goal set in the beginning.

The manga was adapted into a 24-episode anime in 2004 (I think, can't remember exactly), and concluded recently at a length of 383 chapters. I don't know if it's very popular or well-known, but since it went on for so long I guess it has an audience. To me it will be mostly remembered for its absurdly high gore factor (seriously, it makes fucking Berserk look like MLP at times) and incredibly creative and disturbing monster designs.

As for me, I don't think the manga is very good. It started out very strong, but quickly lost its way and descended into wallowing in gore and tits without any real point or reason. It was also downright repulsive at times, the main character being a massive **** in the beginning not being the smallest reason.

Like I said, just general discussion. Have you heard of this manga? Read it? Liked it or no? Wish for a sequel?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I read the first few volumes (maybe 4 or 5?). It's pretty much the stupidest schlock I've ever seen come out of Japan, but it was entertaining at the time. However, after the first few volumes I couldn't stomach the meaningless shit anymore.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
It's entertaining, but not as good as Berserk, which has tits and gore, in addition to depth, a good plot, strong characters and emotional impact.

It did have some really good atmosphere in the anime, though.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Fappy said:
I read the first few volumes (maybe 4 or 5?). It's pretty much the stupidest schlock I've ever seen come out of Japan, but it was entertaining at the time. However, after the first few volumes I couldn't stomach the meaningless shit anymore.
That's IMO the saddest thing about it: it showed amazing potential for really edgy and dark social satire in the beginning, but ended up as just mindless schlock. It could have been so much more.

The benchmark of stupidity in the series had to be the stuff with the vampires. Yes, vampires. I mean what the fuck was it supposed to be about and how did it relate to the storyline at all?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It was very good for a very long time imo, I followed it for years. What made it good was the fact that you were NEVER sure which character would make it out of a mission alive, literally no one had plot armor (or so it appeared at first anyhow). In that aspect it was much more cruel than Berserk or something like Game of Thrones, just pure fun survival goodness where no one really had a clue what was going on.

The author just completely lost it around when the invasion of Earth started though (slightly before in fact, but I don't remember exactly). From that point on the tension was gone. He just went into the mist trying to explain the whole concept of Gantz and dragged it out.

I honestly think Oku never really thought about how he'd explain it all away when he started the series, but at some point he realised he had to do something other than more missions, but just couldn't find a way to do it right. He doesn't really lose his grim view on mortality and humanity, but the events just don't make sense.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I've seen a couple episodes of the anime but, despite the interesting premise, could never get into it. I was thinking about it lately, actually; I thought I might get into it more to see what all the fuss is about. But since it apparently does the thing that puts me off this sort of show/book, I don't think I will. Tits are great. Gore can be fun. But all of this is pointless if there's no depth.

As for it not being talked about on this website: I noticed that, too. I was told the anime was legendary when it was suggested I watch it. But, to be honest, The Escapist isn't like some of the circles I hang out in. I think Gantz is one of those cult hits, though, isn't it?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It's fairly culty, though the manga seems to make it into top-read lists frequently.

And the whole thing is as deep as you want it to be :)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I started watching the anime, but I couldn't stand the protagonist because like you said he's a ****; so I couldn't continue with it.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Oh wow, it's finally finished? But anti-climatically? Awww. That's disappointing.
I saw the Gantz anime before the manga, and despised how badly they screwed it up. The concept was great, but they'd obviously jumped in way to early before barely any of the manga was done. So when I did finally get around to reading it, I liked it a whole lot more. I forgot about it somewhere around Chapter 321. Not long after they become visible to the public and they find out there's other Gantz groups. I didn't stop because I didn't like it, but I'd caught up to it at that point and wanted to give it time for more to come out.

I watched the live action movie recently, and loved that too. So I'll probably get back into the manga now, despite the apparent bad ending. At least I'm prepared.

bartholen_v1legacy

Jan 24, 2009
Project_Xii said:
Oh wow, it's finally finished? But anti-climatically? Awww. That's disappointing.
I saw the Gantz anime before the manga, and despised how badly they screwed it up. The concept was great, but they'd obviously jumped in way to early before barely any of the manga was done. So when I did finally get around to reading it, I liked it a whole lot more. I forgot about it somewhere around Chapter 321. Not long after they become visible to the public and they find out there's other Gantz groups. I didn't stop because I didn't like it, but I'd caught up to it at that point and wanted to give it time for more to come out.

I watched the live action movie recently, and loved that too. So I'll probably get back into the manga now, despite the apparent bad ending. At least I'm prepared.
Without wishing to spoil anything, the ending isn't especially bad, it's just rushed. And I assume you know how glacial the manga's pacing is, so it's quite a bizarre thing.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I dunno. I watched the anime and liked it alot before the ending. I didn't hate the anime ending as much as others but it made no sense, it didn't attempt to make sense. I read the first 3 issues of the manga and haven't had the money for the rest. Its good but there's a lot I absolutely fucking hate about it. I don't like the 3D imaging they use for the designs or the lazy clean cut look of the environments (with nothing in them!) at least in the anime there was stuff in the background to add to the world. I hate the fan service its disgusting. No I don't mean in that way I mean its actually unattractive. Now I don't like over the top fan service because I think it stops progress but at the same time I'd be lying if my eyeballs didn't like it. However it just gets fucking weird in Gantz. There's a bit where Kishimoto is in the shower and the soap and bubbles make her look like a clicker from The Last of Us. Its really fucking vile to look at. And as well as that there is the issue of "Why the fuck is she making that pose? You are just taking a shower/waiting for a bus/eating etc" doesn't matter what they do its a sexy pose (I don't remember her waiting for a bus or anything I'm just making up examples).

However I like that the characters are cunts. They are cunts but they have redeeming qualities, and if they don't there is at least something to help me sympathise with them. Kurono is an asshole but he's lonely and he doesn't realise he is the problem driving people away (which I assume he will learn as he did get better in the anime) and he is a teenager so he does have hormones everywhere. Kishimoto-okay her I just hate. She's presented as like an angel but she manipulates Kurono. Maybe she gets better I dunno, but I do feel sorry for her having to leave her life behind cos of the whole clone thing fucking up. The other guy who's name I forget I um... I don't remember much about him. But I liked him. I liked the utter bleakness and confusion to it, and the mystery it really drove me to want to buy the next issues, which I couldn't cos of money and that pissed me off. However I'm not sure I can take all the pointless gore and fan service that isn't as hot as they thought it would be. If it has a point then good but if a girl is naked for no reason and covered in a sickly looking substance, and if a guy is horrifically exploding for no reason I'm out.

Oh and using real life images as backgrounds is a fucking cop out.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I was pretty disappointed with the ending of the manga. Considering the number of chapters beforehand where practically fucking NOTHING happened the final chapter left me with a serious feeling of "Wait.....that's it???"

Overall I liked it but good lord could it drag on.

SushiJaguar

Sep 12, 2010
I've read the whole manga, have yet to watch the anime. The manga peaked at the battle in the Buddhist temple, or possibly after that during the Osaka fight. Everything after either of those two points is really just made up on the spot as the story meanders along. It all just seemed really contrived and forced, when it'd previously been really good and dealt with some really cool and thought-provoking stuff. I mean, when you die in the Gantz hunts, you get replaced by a clone without any memories of their death or Gantz. Does that mean they're the same person?

Questions like that virtually oozed out of the first segment of the manga. Mid-way it started to lose the plot and become gore for gore's sake, and then the alien invasion started and I just got sick of it. Chapter after chapter of the protagonist running around like a Lilliputian crying for his girlfriend. Ridiculous.