Gary Oldman Confirms He's In Talks to Appear In Star Wars Episode VII

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Gary Oldman Confirms He's In Talks to Appear In Star Wars Episode VII

The Dark Knight trilogy's Commissioner Gordon might be making an appearance in the upcoming Star Wars film and confirms, "they've inquired."

Gary Oldman, who played Commissioner Gordon in Christoper Nolan's The Dark Knight trilogy, might be adding the Star Wars sci-fi film series to the list of blockbuster movies he's involved in. Speaking to Sky Movies, Oldman confirms that he has been approached to play an unspecified role in JJ Abrams' upcoming Star Wars Episode VII. "They've called. I'm more cynical about it now. I'll believe it when I'm on the plane home," Oldman states, and adds, "The deal isn't done, but yeah, they've inquired."

This isn't the first time the Oscar-nominated actor has seen his name attached to the sci-fi franchise. Back in 2005, Oldman was asked to voice General Grievous in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Unfortunately, due to Revenge of the Sith not being part of the SAG (Screen Actors Guild) union -- to which Oldman is a member of -- he turned it down to show his loyalty.

If this becomes a reality, Oldman will have taken part in not only Nolan's Batman films, but also in other blockbuster franchises such as the Harry Potter film series where he played Sirius Black, and in July 11 later this year, will star in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the franchise's eight feature film.

Gary Oldman can next be seen in the RoboCop remake, which hits theaters in North America on February 12.

Source: Digital Spy [http://skymovies.sky.com/gary-oldman-potentially-up-for-role-in-stars-wars]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
He has crossed oceans of time to be here. :p

Kidding aside, he'd be a great addition to Star Wars. I could see him being a Jedi or a Sith and owning the role, whichever way the casting goes. He's a great actor and I hope this works out.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
*applauds wildly* yes, finally. News about a casting that is actually good news.
Hope he is one of the main characters. Like obiwan was in the original movies.

Although, star wars without yoda is still kind of a lacking project.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
I hope he gets to play a villain. He's awesome as a villain.
Yeah, totally loved him in The Book of Eli, one of the best things about the film if you ask me.

OT: I also didn't know he was supposed to be General Grievous, here's hoping he gets a role just as awesome this time around :p

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
He was a wizard in one recent major franchise and a one of the only non-crooked cops in another. My money's on him being a jedi or something else space-wizard/police related. He's always the best part about the movie when he's the villain, that's why he's never caste as one in a major media franchise. He'd make the audience root for Voldemont or against Batman and the Skywalkers if he was. He was certainly the most charismatic Dracula in over 50 years, not counting a special anime one going by the Alucard alias.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Hairless Mammoth said:
Adam Jensen said:
He was a wizard in one recent major franchise and a one of the only non-crooked cops in another. My money's on him being a jedi or something else space-wizard/police related. He's always the best part about the movie when he's the villain, that's why he's never caste as one in a major media franchise. He'd make the audience root for Voldemont or against Batman and the Skywalkers if he was. He was certainly the most charismatic Dracula in over 50 years, not counting a special anime one going by the Alucard alias.
as much as you might like his portrayal of a character, that doesn't mean you necessarily want that character to succeed. Book of Eli was made much better by his performance, but that still didn't make me like the character as a person.

OT: i hope it's true, and that he has a significant role. he's a fantastic actor and it would immediately inspire a small amount of faith in the new films. but please don't do an obi wan and kill him in the first movie... i want more gary oldman

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Alex Co said:
This isn't the first time the Oscar-nominated actor has seen his name attached to the sci-fi franchise. Back in 2005, Oldman was asked to voice General Grievous in Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. Unfortunately, due to Revenge of the Sith not being part of the SAG (Screen Actors Guild) union -- to which Oldman is a member of -- he turned it down to show his loyalty.
Loyalty is fine and all, but let us remember for a second why Lucas wouldn't deal with Unions in Hollywood anymore. [http://books.google.se/books?id=P2P7pwHeZSkC&pg=PA139&lpg=PA139&dq=george+lucas+unions&source=bl&ots=tIpAM_-jjz&sig=yFj58VgghfPjPBcPwdnA77X81W0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=GuD0Uo_9C-HjywOi_IHgCw&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=george%20lucas%20unions&f=false]

tl:dr, He was fined because he wanted the film credits to be at the end of the movie and not at the beginning, so he quit the Writers' and Directors' Guild in protest.

Makes me wonder what's gonna change about the films now that the franchise is in Disney's hands.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
suitepee7 said:
Hairless Mammoth said:
Adam Jensen said:
as much as you might like his portrayal of a character, that doesn't mean you necessarily want that character to succeed. Book of Eli was made much better by his performance, but that still didn't make me like the character as a person.

OT: i hope it's true, and that he has a significant role. he's a fantastic actor and it would immediately inspire a small amount of faith in the new films. but please don't do an obi wan and kill him in the first movie... i want more gary oldman
Ok, I over exaggerated a bit. His characters in Book of Eli and Leon the Professional are evil as all get out, and no one in their right mind would want them to get away with what they did. What I should of said is his villains just take up the audience's perception of the scene he's in(chewing up the scenery sure helps). Fifth Element is an all around funny action movie, but the scenes with with Jean-Baptiste Emmanuel Zorg could hold the movie on their own. That's what I meant about him not being a villain in things like Harry Potter and Dark Knight. It's just too distracting in a film adaptation focusing on the heroes. In a film with no novel to be based on or a very obscure one, it is far less noticeable.

I, too, hope he survives, evil or not. His mentor/experienced characters have that "I'm not perfect but I'm seen a lot of this world's perils" vibe to them that make the movie feel like it has at least one realistic character in it.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
I was thinking he would be a great politician in the new galactic senate or something along that line. Or ? a Thrawn type character?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
This is the first piece of news that has made me hopeful about the upcoming trilogy, Oldman is a great character actor, and can easily look the part for an Imperial admiral/Jedi Master/Sith Lord.

Still doesn't undo the blow of JJ Abrams being in charge of both Star Trek and Star Wars, but it softens the blow somewhat to a slightly gentler kick in the balls.