Gary Oldman Slams "Political Correctness," Calls Dark Knight Movies "Work"

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Of course he considers it work if he can't act like this:
And the rest is misleading bullshit. Read the whole fucking interview.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Vault101 said:
Hawk eye1466 said:
Well after reading the article it's not as bad as I thought, I mean he's really just mad about the double standards that Hollywood seems to have a lot of the time.
what double standards? just out of interest?
Well in the interview he talks about how Jon Stewart or the other guy who's name escapes me can say whatever and not be in that much trouble for it if any at all, but if Alec Baldwin yells at someone for harassing him he's blacklisted. Well no not blacklisted that's too harsh, I guess just everyone distances themselves from him?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
JarinArenos said:
albino boo said:
I do love the complaints about misrepresentation, followed by a misrepresenting sideswipe at RDJ for "defending Mel Gibson". For the record, Downey never defended Mel's rant, he only asked for forgiveness instead of eternal blacklisting. Likewise, Foster made some uncomfortable-sounding supportive comments about a "complicated" long-time friend, while supporting a new movie of hers. Neither defended his ranting in any way.
Oh, come on, he's just illustrating the absurd by being absurd, because that makes perfect sense and isn't some of the most demented bullshit anyone's ever said.

But either way, this article is just trying so hard to twist his words out of context. While I would love to slap this man in the face for saying anything about how "jews run hollywood", this article seems to be trying to make him sound like even more of an absolute madman than he already is.

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
Laser Priest said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
ultreos2 said:
Oh this is a serious shake the head moment.

People are already blacklisting the man, for a Fox news worthy mis-interpretation of an interview, and people wonder why people say the SJW movement is completely out of control and needs to be shut down as soon as possible.

A group that has the potential power to destroy peoples careers just by being loud enough, whether they have a good reason to be angry, or whether they do not. Desperately needs to be stopped.
"Mr. Oldman, we need to speak to you. Now we know you're an Oscar nominee, and you've won dozens of other awards, and you're basically one of the most successful and popular actors of all time... But we're going to have to drop you from this project. You see, some people got angry on the internet."
- Said no producer ever.
BUT SOCIAL JUSTICE IS BAD CAN'T YOU SEE HOW MUCH THESE PEOPLE ARE OVERBLOWING THINGS THEY ARE GOING TO BE THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT THIS LINE OF THOUGHT MAKES PERFECT SEEENSE
Social Justice isn't bad. The particular brand of social justice is, as it's most of the time not social justice. The insidious thing behind a lot of the SJWs is that they envelope real issues with a horrible brand of crazy that just drives people away.

Mariner1712

Sep 17, 2010
theApoc said:
I guess I shouldn?t complain. I?ve learned over the years that people get upset when they tell you something is their favorite movie and you go, ?Really? You liked that piece of shit?? That?s the sort of thing Sean Penn would say. So I now tell people, ?Thank you, that?s great,? and move on.
That says quite a bit about Gary Oldman. Yeah, he feels the banal work he has done, the stuff that appeases the masses is silly, but he has learned to not denigrate their opinions or fandom, unlike the self-righteous left some of us so despise.

There is nothing overly provocative in that article. There IS a double standard. The media is pushing it's OWN agenda. Left/Right, Liberal/Conservative, the whole system is set up to manipulate the masses, convince them of what is and isn't acceptable, as if there is a certain level of celebrity/power/influence that gives someone the right to make that decision for others.

We live in a world where people aren't really allowed to disagree with the heard. It's silly, and pointless. If you think he said something bad in this article, I'm sorry, but you are doing it wrong...
ex951753 said:
Is Bob working for Fox News? The amount of misinformation in this article baffles me...
Quite frankly, this is Bob being himself. He'a a walking encyclopedia of nerd knowledge, but he's a man-child when it comes to any game not made by Nintendo and analysis overall. It took me four years to realize that, but it's sadly true.

TLN;DR Chipman *is* what people used to think Sterling *was*.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
...and the fake intellectuals of the internet jump to his defense against the darn liberals who point out what an asshole he is!

Escapist really needs to complete it's titles ;)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Bob's taken the entire article out of context. Anybody with 5 minutes to spare can easily verify this.

Also is it just me or does Bob take every chance he can get at knocking off DC movies? I mean really, out of all the things Oldman said in the interview, he picks "Dark Knight movies were work" as the title? As if that was some kind of negative comment on the movies themselves? Christ, EVERY movie is "work".

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
albino boo said:
Oldman's manager has released the following

from https://twitter.com/GO4Everyone/
He can't be a bigot! Look, he allows gays to have rights!! See!! Because he wasn't criticising those that pander to the Hollywood powerful, which would subsequently make him a hypocrite! The article didn't say everything!!!

Gary Oldman doesn't like interviews because he's a nasty person. End of. He can't help it, it's who he is. The comments on this thread read like bible belt conservatives, but in reality it's probably just young disenfranchised white boys suffering in a land of socially acceptable discrimination against the straight white male minority. Boohoooooooo.

Hate to break it to you, but Hollywood isn't this bastion of liberalism. It's populist, because that sells. If "not being a ****" seems like out of control political correctness, I'd recommend reevaluating your life. You only get one.

Morifen

Oct 4, 2012
Gorrath said:
maxben said:
If I say that Vanilla is a joke of a flavour and anyway all ice cream is bad, I am attacking vanilla in specific even if I make a sideways comment about all ice cream. I can't believe that you don't see that.

And wait, if your parents were murdered in the Holocaust you wouldn't be angry for the rest of your life? The only Jew I've ever seen make a comment like Oldman is talking about is over 60, and you do realize the Holocaust happened 70 years ago right? You can't just ignore that people who have suffered are going to be angry. What does Gibson have a right to whine about? He and his people have NEVER been persecuted. Germans have never been persecuted against either, they, like the British and White Americans, were the ones doing the persecuting against Jews, against gays, against blacks (go read about what happened in Namibia). The strong who have abused their positions cannot turn around and whine that people are angry with them.

And yes, you can compare the suffering from discrimination for black versus white people in the US. Black people have it worse. If you can't compare suffering from discrimination in some cases, then you are choosing to be blind.

The man is human, so is every single human being you meet. Many of them aren't antisemetic, in fact I hope and believe that most aren't.
My family and I spent a good part of my youth growing up in a poor, predominantly black neighborhood. I used to get my face beat in several times a week for the sin of being white. Does my personal experiences with racism and how it affected my family give me a pass on being a bigot myself? Of course not. This idea that bigotry is okay, or that we should turn a blind eye to it if the person suffered bigotry, racism and hate themselves is unacceptable. We either stand against racism and bigotry or we allow it. Playing the oppression Olympics in order to give certain people a pass while running other people right out of their careers is an ethically bankrupt notion. For the record, I hold no ill will against any race for what some members of a race did, and nor should anyone else.
Making assumptions for an entire group of people based on what some other people did to you or others in the past is the definition of bigotry and racism. Someone's parents being killed by a German doesn't make it ok for them to act out against all Germans. Its ok to hate and act out against the specific Germans that did it, not all of them. You have to make your own decisions on how to treat people on a case by case basis through your own observations, doing otherwise makes you a bigot. Im not saying its wrong to hate or dislike people, but it IS wrong to hate or dislike people just because they share a skin color or nationality with someone else.

Also, almost every group in the world has been persecuted at one time or another, even Germans. The Roman empire did very nasty horrible things to the Germanic tribes, Germany was also persecuted by the rest of Europe after world war 1 and most of its population was forced into poverty. I personally think Hitler's rise and WW2 would never have happened if Germany was treated fairly after WW1, hence "justifiable" persecution never leading to anything positive.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Laser Priest said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
ultreos2 said:

People are already blacklisting the man, for a Fox news worthy mis-interpretation of an interview, and people wonder why people say the SJW movement is completely out of control and needs to be shut down as soon as possible.

A group that has the potential power to destroy peoples careers just by being loud enough, whether they have a good reason to be angry, or whether they do not. Desperately needs to be stopped.
"Mr. Oldman, we need to speak to you. Now we know you're an Oscar nominee, and you've won dozens of other awards, and you're basically one of the most successful and popular actors of all time... But we're going to have to drop you from this project. You see, some people got angry on the internet."
- Said no producer ever.
BUT SOCIAL JUSTICE IS BAD CAN'T YOU SEE HOW MUCH THESE PEOPLE ARE OVERBLOWING THINGS THEY ARE GOING TO BE THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT THIS LINE OF THOUGHT MAKES PERFECT SEEENSE
Social Justice isn't bad. The particular brand of social justice is, as it's most of the time not social justice. The insidious thing behind a lot of the SJWs is that they envelope real issues with a horrible brand of crazy that just drives people away.
I agree that it's not bad. My capital letters were mostly to taunt the ridiculous thought that the people who take social justice to an absurd extreme are actually listened to.

James Crook

Jul 15, 2011
I've read the interview through and can see Oldman was completely quoted out of context in this article.
It is true that trying to defend Gibson, saying he's not a bad person in himself - Oldman did NOT defend Gibson's rants, mind you - is risky territory, but he thought he was doing what's right.

And the people who read the interview and come to Oldman's defence in this comment section aren't all conservatives, bigots, homophobes, Bible-thumpers or "disenfranchised white boys suffering in a land of acceptable discrimination against the straight white male minority", either.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I think this article would have been served better if the quotes from the article were a little longer.

To the topic, I do agree with some of the things he was saying, but others I don't. Some of his opinions strike me as "old person syndrome" for one that wasn't quoted here about modern music echoed a discussion my family had recently and my grandmother won the argument for my uncle was getting upset about Miley Cyrus and her comment was "that is how your father and I felt about Elvis Presley".

There are areas where I don't follow his logic with his complaints, but I am a different generation then he is so its hard for me to see things the way he does. Some of his double standard complaints felt off, it felt to me that he was saying something along the lines of "on the highway I can travel 100, but in the city I can only travel 50 and that is a double standard" (I can't think of a better way to describe how those comments struck me).

The Material Sheep

Nov 12, 2009
ultreos2 said:
Laser Priest said:
th3dark3rsh33p said:
Laser Priest said:
Geo Da Sponge said:
ultreos2 said:

- Said no producer ever.
I agree that it's not bad. My capital letters were mostly to taunt the ridiculous thought that the people who take social justice to an absurd extreme are actually listened to.
I'm a bit worried that you think they aren't listened to.
I agree. It's a bit naive to think that this flavor of social justice warrior isn't actively harming positive discourse with people. Just as an example, the Occupy movement I think fell apart almost entirely due to this kind of super extreme sjw bs. Things such as the progressive stack which were implicitly sexist and racist, became endemic in the movement and it died because of it imo. Whether you think they are seriously listened to or not in American, they do effect things.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Never knew the man personally, of course, but he sounds like a dyed-in-the-wool cynic.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
It's a shame that it was this article here on the Escapist that brought me to the quite delightful and interesting Playboy interview.

Some of you people should read it.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Uhhhh, Bob? Did you actually read the interview? Because correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you're kinda misrepresenting several things that Gary Oldman says.

And by "kinda misrepresenting" I mean "spinning it like a goddamn carousal."

Besides the bit about Jews running Hollywood (which is pretty stupid) I didn't think the stuff he said was a big deal. He wasn't attacking Stewart and Maher for hiding behind comedy, he was talking about the hypocrisy of political correctness. And he wasn't defending the school with the Creationist teacher, he was saying that suing the school was going too far. He thought a complaint to the school would have covered it.

While I'm sure me and Mr. Oldman don't see eye to eye on a lot of stuff, I can certainly empathize with being out of place because you don't have the same social and political views as everyone else in your community. I'm a liberal Oklahoman, like-minded friends are few and far between.