*gasp!* Someone who has never heard The Beatles??

Uzi-Bazooka

Jul 6, 2011
Laggyteabag said:
Having never heard of the Beatles is stupid, having never heard of a Beatles song is fine.

I listened to my first Beatles song about a year ago and i was really disappointed, not only were they terrible, but the fact that soooooooooooo many people talk about them as though hey were gods
What song was that?

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Laggyteabag said:
Having never heard of the Beatles is stupid, having never heard of a Beatles song is fine.

I listened to my first Beatles song about a year ago and i was really disappointed, not only were they terrible, but the fact that soooooooooooo many people talk about them as though hey were gods
They made quite a few terrible songs yeah.

To me everything they made before 1966 isn't worth listening to with the exception of Rubber Soul

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
The world moves on. How many of the best books of the 19th century are remembered? How many of the great bards of Nordic peoples? The world moves on. People forget. It is sad, but inevitable.
I myself am not overly familiar with the Beatles myself, but I'm not a music buff. I only ever listen to it when I'm working and even then, only for background noise.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I Am The Walrus has the best lyrics I have ever heard and is probably my favourite along with Helter Skelter and While My Guitar Gently Weeps

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
xdropkicknickx said:
So there i was talking to a friend of mine when Help came on by The Beatles. I stop the conversation then and there and proceed to sing like a drunken fool (because you know good and well that when The Beatles come on you are immediately taken over by some base instinct that causes you to lose all control). Suddenly I realize to my horror that she is not singing along, in fact she's just standing there only slightly smiling (I'm a strange person, she's used to my random bouts of excitement over very little) so I ask the unmentionable question "You don't know this song?" And she answers with "I don't even know who this is..."

I know, it hurt me too...

But it gets worse! I then ask her if she's heard other well known Beatles songs and the only ones she knew were Hello Goodbye and Twist and Shout. TWIST AND FREAKIN SHOUT! That's the closest song the Beatles have to Justin Bieber! So I swore on that spot that I would be the one to introduce her to the wonders of The Beatles. But I need help.

tl;dr What crucial songs belong in a 15-song playlist introducing my friend to The Beatles? remember she's new so songs like Helter Skelter and I Am the Walrus may be a bit much...

So far I'm for sure including Strawberry Fields Forever, Hey Jude, Taxman, and Yesterday

EDIT: For those of you who have joined the thread to tell me how much you dislike the Beatles, I want to let you know I had no say in the formation of the band and can therefore take no blame when it comes to how much you might think they suck. Also I'm not criticizing anyone who dislikes The Beatles, but you all have heard of them and the chances of going through life without having heard the Beatles is slim, that's the whole point of this thread.
Calm down man, you sound like a Beatles missionary, are you going to Micronesia to build houses and pass out White Albums?

Marmalade

Mar 23, 2009
Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Here Comes the Sun are the three first that popped in to my mind.

EvilPicnic

Sep 9, 2009
Someone's been living under a rock...

Just 15? In approximate chronological order:

All My Loving
Yesterday
Help!
Day Tripper
In My Life
Penny Lane
With a Little Help from My Friends
A Day in the Life
Hey Jude
Revolution
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Get Back
Something
Let it Be
The Long and Winding Road

and even then there's some glaring omissions.
If you really want to introduce her to the Beatles then lend her the Red and Blue albums (if you have them)

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Mr.Squishy said:
Good riddance, The Beatles were untalented hippies that released a bunch of inexplicably overrated tripe and deserve to be forgotten. Same with people who are so goddamn judgemental that they cannot believe someone hasn't heard of a band from 40-50 years ago, then criticize their friend for 'only' having heard the song of theirs that sound the most like Justin Bieber's drivel.
So piss off, mate.
Note to self: Do not post drunk...
As somewhat ignorant as this post is...I kind of agree. It's not surprising a lot of people haven't heard of bands that died (Sometimes literally) decades before they were even born. Hell, half the music I listen to I only know of it because I was browsing random pages from Wikipedia. You start off looking up Breaking Benjamin because of that song in Halo 2 when you're fourteen...then years later, you're in your car rocking to Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, Elvis and other bands/musicians that have been around for nearly half a century. In fact, some even longer. And then you have people who only know music by what's popular, or listen to the same five bands and never expand their musical tastes.

Akyho

Nov 28, 2010
BANG BANG Maxwells silver hammer came down on her head! BANG BANG maxwells hammer made sure she was dead!

My vote is for Maxwells silver hammer...so what it might be disturbing....its a catchey tune.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UsyGYnXgos&feature=related

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Freaky Lou said:
Crikey, why do people who don't like The Beatles post in a thread asking for the most essential Beatles songs?
The OP makes it look more like "How is it possible that someone doesn't know the Beatles? That's just wrong and needs to be corrected. How should I go about this?" Even though he wants the discussion to be about suggesting songs, people feel the need to go "No, it's not wrong for her to not know who the Beatles are and it's not absolutely NEEDED that she learns about them."

Laxman9292

Feb 6, 2009
xdropkicknickx said:
Hit her with a little "While my Guitar Gently Weeps", "A Day in the Life", or "Penny Lane". And obviously "Blackbird". "Back in the USSR" is always good too.

SeeIn2D

May 24, 2011
Well I can understand people not liking The Beatles. Some music isn't for everyone. I'm not gonna ***** slap someone for not liking the same music I do. Denying how big The Beatles were is another thing and that's people disputing facts that they were the biggest music group of all time (arguably). Not knowing who they are is a completely different thing. That's the person literally living under a rock, and that rock was living under another rock, for their whole life. That's just kind of shocking that someone has never even heard of them.

As far as tracks go, my favorite songs are:
Dear Prudence
Let It Be
Hey Jude
Yesterday
Strawberry Fields Forever

Those are my top 5. My playlist has about 10 more songs though. Most are considered the "quintessential" Beatles songs.

KittzCat25

Nov 6, 2011
I cаn't beleive.....My friеnd's sister makes 96/hr оn the internet. She has been unemployed fоr 1о months but last mоnth her incоmе was 8253 USD just wоrking on the PC for a fеw hours. Go tо this wеbsite...... СаshМаnу.соm

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
Gotta say I find them incredibly boring. But whatever.

My advice would be to try not to force their stuff down her throat if she isn't into them...

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I also do not much care for the Beatles. They have a few hits and I like Here comes the sun and Octopuses garden but all the over hype as "best band ever" makes me hate them.
.....Fuck the Beatles.

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
OK,Apologies in advance.Old lady rant coming on.Gonna be a long 'un.Boy,am I gonna get a boatload of TL:DR posts!

I'm sorry,but unless you're REALLY young,not knowing who the Beatles is, is a pretty good indicator of wilfil ignorance.It's a free country and I'm TOTALLY OK with somebody not LIKING them (worship of ANY one is a turn off )but the Beatles are so important not just musically,not historically as well.Most folks would have to live in a cave to not KNOW who they were.
Like Elvis,the Beatles were an impt part of the post-war shedding of the conservative,sexually repressed values that dominated the previous decade.They were at the forefront of nearly every social revolution of the 1960s that eventually gave us the western world we have now.A VERY different place from one their fathers grew up in.
They championed alternate spirituality at a time when the dominant culture was Judeo-Christian.They caused shock over their more flexible attitudes to gender roles & sexuality.Hard to believe it now,but their hair was considered LONG & effete!Along with Timothy Leary,they experimented with mind-altering drugs.Lennon was at the forefront of the Anti-War Movement.
These are just a few of the social changes they spear-headed.The western world would be a VERY different place if the Beatles had never existed.
Musically,every decent rockstar owes a debt to them.Until they came along,the Brill building production line of disposable songwriting was the norm.Like Bob Dylan,they made lyrics matter,and until then most singers did NOT sing their own material.Artistic album design,the earliest music videos-the Beatles did all of this years before it became the norm.
I am NOT a rabid Beatle fangirl by any means.Paul could be too soppy,Lennon too hard & cynical.But few artists have a catalogue so varied that has stood the test of time.And anybody interested in social and/or rock and roll history should know who they are and the musical and cultural changes they ushered in.And SO many rock groups have worn that bl**dy suit and tie combo,most of us would wanna know who was the culprit that started it all!
On a lighter note,I think this meme is just for folks like xdropkicknicksx's musically illiterate pal:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/musically-oblivious-8th-grader