Gates Foundation Kicks in $20 Million Towards Game Projects

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Saluki_princess said:
I hope some really good, innovative things come out of this. Video games have so much untapped potential when it comes to teaching.
I heartily second this. I'm currently neck-deep in articles about ludology, and the more I read the more I'm convinced that games are perhaps the best possible next step in the field of teaching aids.

I have to say, this is a great thing Gates is doing here. I don't care if it's just pocket change to him, because that doesn't devalue the fact he donated millions of dollars to useful gaming projects!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Goddamit Bill, things were so much easier when we could just hate you for being rich.

Now if we say bad things about the atrocious things you did with Microsoft, we're looked on as nay-sayers.

Fair's fair though - that is a pretty awesome thing to do.
Bill's been wallowing in some heady <url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_And_Melinda_Gates_Foundation>phlanthrocapitalism for quite some time now.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Good for him. You see Bono this is how rich people do it, they don't lecture poor people about how it is down to us to make a change.

Anyone else fucking hate Bono.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
bringer of illumination said:
Cenequus said:
$20 million huh?

Bill, you do know that $20 million isn't enough to make a quarter of a AAA game right?
I guess you skipped reading the article and see towards what they give the money.

It's funny how "the evil" Bill Gates invests money into gaming education while "the good" Steve Jobs still thinks that games are the worse thing that ever happened.
Are you implying that i like Steve Jobs and Apple?

FUCK NO!

I despise both with the flaming passion of a billion suns.

What i'm saying is that this money is a fucking pittance to Bill Gates.
So it isnt enough that he has given away half his fortune? You still think he is a bad person?

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
Cavan said:
Only reasons I could come up with is because people like to think of the rich as cartoonishly evil.
That is called the Jewish Banking Conspiracy, recently renamed the New World Order conspiracy.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Cenequus said:
$20 million huh?

Bill, you do know that $20 million isn't enough to make a quarter of a AAA game right?
I guess you skipped reading the article and see towards what they give the money.

It's funny how "the evil" Bill Gates invests money into gaming education while "the good" Steve Jobs still thinks that games are the worse thing that ever happened.
I would take Bill Gates monopoly over Steve Jobs self-pandering crap anyday.
I still attest that SJ is the worst thing to happen to technology since the Virtualboy...

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
Sentox6 said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Goddamit Bill, things were so much easier when we could just hate you for being rich.

Now if we say bad things about the atrocious things you did with Microsoft, we're looked on as nay-sayers.
Calling Microsoft's practices "atrocious" is getting pretty far into the realm of hyperbole.
Let's be honest, though: "atrocious" might be the wrong word, but Microsoft used to have some extremely aggressive business practices. Heck, they were the poster child for "embrace, extend, exterminate," even if it only worked sometimes.
When I was looking for jobs, even though they could employ me to do some really cool stuff, I still felt uneasy about it because of their old reputation as the Evil Empire. This is ironic, onsidering I ended up working for what could be argued to be the cell phone modem evil empire. Well, that and Microsoft's "Hey, Genius!" recruiting line kinda turned me off, or at least didn't help.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Awesome, Bill. Think you could have a word with Microsoft about supporting gaming on the PC?

(Ba-dump, tish!)

No, seriously- The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has done some exemplary work. It's a pleasure to see people who have prospered in the industry using the wealth they've made there to change the world for the better.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
wow, someone had been watching Extracredits: Gamification! nice job! can't wait to see it come out, better have DLC elements!