Gather round and laugh at the new Halo: Forward Unto Dawn trailer.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zhukov said:
So...

It's an even less funny, "totally serious" Starship Troopers featuring aesthetics taken from Tranformers, action scenes and dialog taken from the "generic action movie cliche" guidebook, and laughably cheap props, sets, and CGI?

Yep. Totally psyched to see this movie! Even more excited to play Halo 4! Man, fuck Bungie! 343 and Microsoft are the kings of action gaming!!

[sub][sub]Sigh...and to think I used to love the hell out of this series.[/sub][/sub]

TakeyB0y2

A Mistake
Jun 24, 2011
Well it started out as the most mediocre writing and acting I've ever seen ever...

And then as soon as Master Chief pops up it goes so corny I don't even. Ugh.

I wouldn't even consider going to see it just to see if it's unintentionally hilarious because it just looks boring.

Well, I've never been into Halo that much anyways, so...

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
It's not so bad but I had thought the production values for a series would've been higher than the had for the commercials, even if it is just a web series.

Aug 1, 2010
Oh God that hurt.....

The acting....

The costumes.....

The writing....

I adore Halo more than any game series out there, but that was just horrible.

The Chief's scene was pretty cool though.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
torno said:
Well, I'm a big Halo fan, and it's a mini-series so why not?
If it was anything other than that, I wouldn't spend my time, but it is, so I will.
One question, why does chief's armor has 117 on it in everything other than the actual game?
It's the Mark IV armor based on it's look from Halo Legends: The Package.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Looks ok, but the marine armour looks like something you'd see a cosplayer wearing at a convention...

Also, I would have preferred it it was a different Spartan. I get that they wanted to draw people in by having the iconic character there, but it does seem a bit forced. They don't even have the same voice actor from the games. Seems like a missed opportunity to have an appearance from Fred or one of the others in something outside of the books.

Plus I'll be interested to find out what a Pre-Halo story about kids in a UNSC academy has to do with the Forward Unto Dawn...

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
That was just....ugh. The acting and dialogue were appalling. It couldn't look any more cliched. It's like if Starship Troopers was played straight. I admit that the scenes where the Covenant are attacking seem intriguing, having Chief so up just as fan service was cringe worthy. The best Halo game story was ODST, and that's because we had likeable cast of regular soldiers, not the superhuman automatons that are the Spartans. Also, we know Chief lives, so where's the suspense? It might be a bit more intense if there's a chance for the superman protector to possibly die. Also, doesn't this conflict with the idea that Harvest was the first fight with the Covenant? Am I supposed to believe that even after Harvest the military was still totally ignorant to the existence of hostile aliens? I'll probably watch it out of curiosity, but I don't predict I'll enjoy it.

As a side note, it kind of annoys me when people tell others that "the Halo story isn't bad, but you just don't get it because you don't read the books!". The games' story, while not BAD per se (except for the mess that was Halo 3), are far from good and are basic generic sci-fi. If they need several books to fill in the blanks, then that's a flaw with the delivery of the games. One shouldn't have to read several novels, watch an animated movie, and use a Ouija board just to make the plot stand up.

Something else that just stuck out to me as I rewatched it to finalize my thoughts. Is it only Chief there? If so that will be facepalm worthy. Spartans were NEVER sent in alone like that, and prefer working with each other rather than regular troops since regular troops can't keep up. Again, it makes everything feel even more like fan service. And if they play on the idea that whoever survives this and MC know each other in Halo 4, that will make me even more annoyed at the idea I talked about in the previous paragraph. If to understand the scope of everything going on I need to play the games, read the books, watch the short film, read bonus material, and then sort out what is canon and what is not (the Halo series plays pretty lose with it's canon), then that means the plot of the game FAILS.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Personally Im more interested in this .
Spoiler alert. alaook away now if you dont want spoilers

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
SacremPyrobolum said:
So is this filmed during the training of the next generation of Spartans or of the training of an important sect of the UNSC that were featured in on of the many offshoots of lore?
Nope, it's set before any contact was made with the covenant and then covers the events of first contact.

Looks... ok? Not liking the shoehorned in romance thing. Much preferred the Landfall trailer thing we had ages ago. That was sweet.

JohnDoey

Jun 30, 2009
I think it looks really good for a machinima web series, i'll totally watch in when it starts.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Comic Sans said:
That was just....ugh. The acting and dialogue were appalling. It couldn't look any more cliched. It's like if Starship Troopers was played straight. I admit that the scenes where the Covenant are attacking seem intriguing, having Chief so up just as fan service was cringe worthy. The best Halo game story was ODST, and that's because we had likeable cast of regular soldiers, not the superhuman automatons that are the Spartans. Also, we know Chief lives, so where's the suspense? It might be a bit more intense if there's a chance for the superman protector to possibly die. Also, doesn't this conflict with the idea that Harvest was the first fight with the Covenant? Am I supposed to believe that even after Harvest the military was still totally ignorant to the existence of hostile aliens? I'll probably watch it out of curiosity, but I don't predict I'll enjoy it.

As a side note, it kind of annoys me when people tell others that "the Halo story isn't bad, but you just don't get it because you don't read the books!". The games' story, while not BAD per se (except for the mess that was Halo 3), are far from good and are basic generic sci-fi. If they need several books to fill in the blanks, then that's a flaw with the delivery of the games. One shouldn't have to read several novels, watch an animated movie, and use a Ouija board just to make the plot stand up.

Something else that just stuck out to me as I rewatched it to finalize my thoughts. Is it only Chief there? If so that will be facepalm worthy. Spartans were NEVER sent in alone like that, and prefer working with each other rather than regular troops since regular troops can't keep up. Again, it makes everything feel even more like fan service. And if they play on the idea that whoever survives this and MC know each other in Halo 4, that will make me even more annoyed at the idea I talked about in the previous paragraph. If to understand the scope of everything going on I need to play the games, read the books, watch the short film, read bonus material, and then sort out what is canon and what is not (the Halo series plays pretty lose with it's canon), then that means the plot of the game FAILS.
Thing is though, you can't show everything in the games. That is just the reality of it. In the books there is lots and LOTs of scenes of just sitting around and talking. The Halo trilogy has never been known to house long cutscenes nor extend the story from another person's point of view. They contained stories.

Plus you never have the read the books to understand, yes things will be clarified and that has been true since The Fall of Reach released a couple of days before Combat Evolved but never did you need to read to understand.

Such as Halo 2's story. Yes, the prophets, tartarus, and why the Master Chief is with johnson and lived would make sense if you read: Halo: First Strike, but after about an hour the story is easy to understand without it. And an hour might be pushing it.

The only game that might make more sense with a book is Halo Reach with Ghosts of Onyx with the Spartan III's but because bungie sort of screwed canon there it even then doesn't make much sense even if you had read it.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
jonjst said:
They have to be teens because it the main charcter in it is going to be featured in the Reclaimer Trilogy and this follows his recruitment and traning.
I liked 300, wouldn't want to play a game where I get beat up and disciplined in the military. Also wouldn't want to play a Halo game that's "press X to train" and suffer psychological trauma until my character pukes, only to wait for the payoff where an awesome soldier (that I want to play) saves everyone.

Consider the X-Men movies, which spend too much time on drama and discovery. X-men there, bad guys there; the animated series set up plots in five minutes. It wasn't tedious. I was watching adults deal with mature issues who taught me lessons before I was old enough to be left home alone.

If this series is marketing to younger demographics it's a bizarre misunderstanding that fans can ignore the immersion of playing the most bad-ass soldier on two legs (which they have been doing since forever), and instead want to invest in a weak, confused and inexperienced protagonist that grows up. Yeah, like that's escapism.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Able Seacat said:
Who's the female actor who kisses the guy? I recognise her from something.

Wasn't mind blowing, but might be worth a watch.
She was in the one movie when Liam Neeson was a fury.

And Professor Xavier from X-Man: First Class wasn't wearing pants.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I... don't see what was so bad about it? Is it planning on being a full theatrical release or a straight-to-DVD thing? If the former, then I can see the... "issues" I guess, but if it's the latter then at the very least it looks miles better than all of those countless Sci-Fi Original Movies.
Sponsored Web-Series.

Like Dragon Age: Redemption with Felicia Day.

I give it a B. Hope it doesn't flop too bad.