Gauntlet Gets a Major Facelift For Steam

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Gauntlet Gets a Major Facelift For Steam

The famous arcade dungeon-brawler Gauntlet is being "completely modernized" for a Steam release later this year.

If you passed any time at all in arcades back in the 80s or 90s, you probably ran across Gauntlet, a behemoth of a machine that let four players team up to crash through top-down dungeons overflowing with endless hordes of monsters. Despite its fantasy trappings it was a pure action game, with only minor differences separating the four character classes: Warrior, Wizard, Valkyrie and Elf.

A dramatically updated version of that multiplayer mayhem will soon make its way to Steam, as WBIE announced today that a "completely modernized" Gauntlet is being developed for release later this year. It's the first of a planned direct-to-digital portfolio of games called "WB Games Vault," which will see popular classics and original titles released exclusively to multiple digital platforms.

"Gauntlet is one of the most defining games from our childhoods, and it's amazing to be able to work with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment on a brand new version," said Johan Pilestedt, CEO of developer Arrowhead Game Studios. "Gauntlet is one of the original and best known video game properties and we are looking forward to creating a fresh, yet true to the original, take on a multiplayer masterpiece."

The new Gauntlet will support local and online multiplayer action, and dungeons will be procedurally generated. But while it's obviously many orders of magnitude more advanced that its 30-year-old predecessor, there's no mistaking the game on display in this fast-and-furious (and bloody) launch trailer. That's Gauntlet, alright.

Gauntlet is currently slated to hit Steam sometime in the second half of 2014.

Source: Gauntlet [https://www.gauntlet.com/]

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Urgh. If I had a nickel for every time my father and cousin chimed "Let's play Gauntlet!" at me during the Sega Dreamcast days, I would be capable of maintaining financial stability.

Still, I suppose it's good to see that others remember the title, too.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
This looks really freaking cool! I was a big fan of Gauntlet thanks to various on-disc collections of classic games but Gauntlet Legends on the N64/Dreamcast/arcade etc was my favorite. This remake looks really freaking good! I can't wait to be able to download that sucker!

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
All this progress, and yet you know that Elf is still going to shoot the food.

songnar said:
Urgh. If I had a nickel for every time my father and cousin chimed "Let's play Gauntlet!" at me during the Sega Dreamcast days, I would be capable of maintaining financial stability.
If I had all the quarters back that I pumped into the original arcade machine... well, I at least wouldn't be wanting for laundromat change for a while.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
As long as it has the following...

"Warrior is about to die"
"Warrior needs food badly"

I'm in.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Never played any Gauntlet, but Gauntlet: Legends saw plenty of action on my N64 growing up.
I hope this succeeds, if only so that it will prompt a Steam release of Legends.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Maaaaaaybe... I have to see what microtransaction horrors are going to be inflicted on us though. If any.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I never played the original, but I did play Gauntlet Legends on the N64 and enjoyed the hell out of it.

I'm really excited for the online multiplayer aspect of the remake. These days, it's getting harder and harder for me to get a group of people together in the same room for gaming, but single-player Gauntlet just isn't enticing to me. I may buy copies of the game for my friends, if the reviews are good.

P.S. Thanks

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Ah, I played this in the arcade! And later on... some machine, can't remember which. I am cautiously optomistic before we find out its a dark gritty reboot first person FPS starring a white dude bro...

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
Ickabod said:
As long as it has the following...

"Warrior is about to die"
"Warrior needs food badly"

I'm in.
Yellow Wizard Needs FOOD BADDLY

Red warrior comes along "MMM, Food is Good."

I turned around and punched my brother, my mom in turn turns around and says "Little brother is about to die." Good times.

On topic, I found it hillarious that they go "Oh look, they all fight awesomely with different skills. Look at how badass this warrior is, look at how awesome this Valkyrie is, look at...the elf, shoot arrows and...roll? Look at how badass-ish the Wizard is!

...I want to meet the man or woman who is like 'HOLY CRAP, I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THE "ELF" CLASS.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Awesome! Gauntlet was a super fun, intense ... "co-op" game that I bet a lot of younger gamers never got a chance to play. If they can capture its frantic nature I'll totally be picking this up!

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I'm interested but I'll wait until more details are available. I've played multiple versions of this over the years including the arcade version and the Gameboy version, it wasn't great but it's better than nothing. Also, there is a PC version that is abandonware that you can play that's pretty alright.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I played the shit out of Gauntlet: Legends and Dark Legacy as a kid. Original was a bit before my time, I'll look into it.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Provided this "modernization" actually ADDS to the game in a meaningful way, instead of detracting from the core experience or just boiling down to crow-barring in superfluous "modern game-play tropes"[footnote]And provided the price is sub-$40.[/footnote] this could prove to be a contemporary gem.

Maybe.

Possibly.

[sub]I'm not holding my breath.[/sub]

Regardless, it's nice to see the return of such an incredibly influential classic.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Black wallet needs money badly.

Black wallet is about to die.

I must have four player local multi-player with controller support for my lounge room.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES Best news I've heard all year. Midway went under, and I despaired. Gauntlet is part of the foundational group of games for my gaming psyche. I've played them all, and I desperately yearn for some more now and again. The old games are still as fun as ever, but it's a pain to get four people together to sit down for it these days what with most of us living in different cities.

This is perfect.

Well, almost.

Better be able to unlock the Jester, is all I'm saying. That would just elicit the hottest of the damns from my lips.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
I've always thought a new Gauntlet game would work really well on the Wii U. Think about it, not only could you have the usual 4 player co-op, but a 5th player could use the tablet and act as a 'dungeon master', directing swarms of enemies and setting up spawn points and such in realtime.

Valkrex

Elder Dragon
Jan 6, 2013
HELL YES! I loved the gauntlet games all the way up to Dark Legacy! So great to hear that I'll be able to play one again, as my copy of Dark Legacy no longer works...

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
It took me a moment to remember that, I first thought they were doing a remake of the FPS Gauntlet for the PC and then when I saw the gameplay, I thought, what the fuck are they doing? And then the other Gauntlet game came to mind. Something I vaguely recall renting for my Megadrive when I was really young. The thing I recall most about it is that your health diminishes the longer you stay in the dungeon.