Gavin's Top 5 of Games of 2012

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Gavin's Top 5 of Games of 2012

Gavin Dunne, aka Miracle of Sound, lists his top five games of the year.

Read Full Article

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Dishonored represent! It's aesthetic was what initially drew me to the game but loved every second of it. It's got all the looks and brains.

I have to wholeheartedly agree that Far Cry 3 is a good antidote to Assassins Creed III, even with those awesome naval missions.

[sub][sub]Heh, damp Hanar[/sub][/sub]

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Fuckin' called you naming Dishonored as your GotY. Now, where's my medal for my accomplishment?

Also, you don't capitalize the 'H' in hanar. Species name is a common noun, so you only capitalize it if it's the first word in a sentence (unless you're shouting it, then everything is capitalized). *pushes up nerd glasses*

Mourne

Jan 28, 2010
I found this to be a highly enjoyable read, and I still need to play Far Cry and Dishonoured. I can understand that the Butt Stallion was awesome, and I can't say much for Walking Dead.

I'm just happy ME3 is on the list. ^_^

2clueless

Clueless since 2003
Apr 11, 2012
On Mass Effect 3:

"Would have liked to run tests on the seashells." I cried. Just SO good!

"[Pick an ending: red, blue, or green. Doesn't really matter which.]" Couldnt bring myself to cry. Such a disappointment. Such a let down.

I cannot understand how the same game can give us both the excellence of the Genophage story arc with all the choices and consequences there in, and.. the ending. Knowing how the series ends, I cannot bring myself to spend anymore money on the franchise, cannot play the games and DLC I all ready have. Too heartbreaking.

Great summation.

And the rest of it is a good read, too.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I'm right there with you on Mass Effect 3 Gavin. I rank the Mass Effect series as probably my all time favorite games, seeing as how much time I've invested into the games and the characters. I loved everything about the game until, just like everyone else, the ending. Everything thing else... awesome. I don't know if I could have asked for more than what happened up until the ending. So many memorable moments with characters... although it's still a little hard to back through the game knowing what is waiting for me at the end.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Mourne said:
I found this to be a highly enjoyable read, and I still need to play Far Cry and Dishonoured. I can understand that the Butt Stallion was awesome, and I can't say much for Walking Dead.

I'm just happy ME3 is on the list. ^_^
Those are the two I am yet to play as well, hopefully will see them going at a decent price in the Steam winter sale or something.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Leonardo Chaves said:
Why no critic ever notices the auto dialog (and the nerfed dialog wheel) in ME3?
The gameplay/roleplaying balance was radically changed in the final installment and no one ever notices!!!
I bought a roleplaying game and i got a shooter... and i haven't seen one single professional say a word about it.

This pisses me off much more than the ending, as i got there... it wasn't "my story" anymore, and i didn't care either way.
Well, I'm not a critic, so there's that. But I did notice that, especially with the Normandy conversations.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Gotta agree with Mass Effect 3 and the series as a whole. I keep trying to remember when was the last game that I just got so sucked in by the characters, the story, the choices, and the universe as much as I did the Mass Effect series. Something about Mass Effect as a whole just "clicked" with me. So many times I came close to tears in ME3, for characters I didn't even CARE all that much about! Then the horrible ending happened, and for a good 2 weeks I was pretty down in the dumps. No game has ever made me feel like that before, and could barely look at the ME1 and ME2 without feeling a bit of disgust. I felt like I couldn't recommend the series to anyone afterwards. I would just end up saying, "One of the best series ever, characters are really awesome, the game really gets you hooked, a ton of emotional moments...but if I tell you to get it, I would feel like an asshole because of what you would experience."

Luckily the Extended Cut came around and fixed a lot of things, so now I can say I have closure. Despite everything that's happened though, I still think Mass Effect 3 is one of the better games this year (although it obviously has some flaws).

Also gotta agree on the Walking Dead. Haven't played all of it, but episode 3 was just so...emotionally draining (in a good way I suppose). Can't wait to play the rest. Haven't played Dishonored or Far Cry 3, and maybe only played an hour of Borderlands 2, so I sadly can't comment on those, but I think this is a good list!

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
While I don't personally agree with all your choices I can see why you picked 'em.

I agree on Mass Effect 3 though. My thought process on that game literally right up until the last ten minutes was:
"This might be my favorite Mass Effect game, even better than Mass Effect 1. I mean Shepard talks on his own too much and the Journal is absolute crap but otherwise this game is near perfect"

10 seconds later "What the fuck!?!"

But despite that I would still say Mass Effect 3 is probably my game of the Year. I don't think I've played any other game that was as emotionally compelling this year although Dishonored and Walking Dead would definitely be on my list. The only problem I have with the Walking Dead is that none of your choices really matter and the game always undoes them after an episode or two but I can't deny how absolutely awesome the story was. And blinking around and putting people into sleeper holds is probably some of the most fun I've had with a game recently.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
It's a good place to put Mass Effect 3 on a list of "Top Five Games of the Year"
Not at the bottom/ not at the top
Could have done worse/ could have done better
Broke my heart/ in more ways than one!

Thanks Gav!

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
Damn, Gav you reminded me I still need to finish my non lethal playthrough of Dishonored!

Yeah it's definitely a great game, although I found the way they executed the Chaos system stupid.
Yeah, sure I went out of my way to kill every guard ever, but I was still being a nice guy to everyone I liked, so it really bothered me that in the last mission(because before that your chaos level means pretty much nothing)everyone started calling me a monster and started betraying me.

As for Mass Effect 3, there are so many more problems with it than the ending, such as the afore mentioned nerfed dialogue wheel, complete removal of neutral options, barely any choice etc but I still kind of enjoyed it, the combat was pretty good, cool locations, some interesting characters and I'm not afraid to admit that
manly tears were shed for Mordin and Thane
Honestly, I have no idea if I'd ever put it in a top 5 of my own, I'm rather conflicted about it.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Leonardo Chaves said:
Why no critic ever notices the auto dialog (and the nerfed dialog wheel) in ME3?
The gameplay/roleplaying balance was radically changed in the final installment and no one ever notices!!!
I bought a roleplaying game and i got a shooter... and i haven't seen one single professional say a word about it.

This pisses me off much more than the ending, as i got there... it wasn't "my story" anymore, and i didn't care either way.
I think the culling of the neutral option was because in a war you have to be a strong leader, so being all like "I dunno, I guess you're both right, I can't make up my mind" really doesn't make Shepard look like a strong leader. Granted, there were previous middle options that leaned more towards paragon or renegade in the previous games, but yeah I think that's why they nerfed the middle option.

OT. I still don't get the love for Dishonoured but hey, we all have our own opinions...which is why I wil share mine. I didn't like how in a game about revenge that even if I did go through the whole game only killing the people directly responsible for my wrongfull imprisonment I would still get attitude from Sam the boat man for being a heartless murderer on the last mission. Screw you Sam, they were gonna kill me to cover up their overthrow of the empress, they can die by being eaten by rats for all I care! It just felt like I was being punished and scolded for playing a certain way that thematic wise was totally just, and Sam's righteous attitude was so uncalled for seeing as how he not only knew where he was taking me and why we were going there, but that he shared the reasoning from the begining that the people in power needed to go AND even gave me tips on ways to get to them and what not. Also, the game was waay too short and gave me gripes with some things such as how weapons seemingly lacked noticable difference to one and other (REAL noticible with the blades) regardless if they were the crappy picked up stuff, Corvo's signiture stuff, or the upgraded crap. The powers were cool though, I loved sumoning hordes of rats to devour my enemies, blinking was solid, and stopping time (especially when you go up against the leader of the assassins(if you stop time against him, it's brutal as all hell)) was a nice touch when you crewed up and someone saw you and tried to alert the area.

But yeah, I really didn't fall in love with the game mainly because my character was a silent dumbass who does nothing to defend himself when accused of murdering an empress, and I never got the intentions of The Outsider and why he gave me powers in the first place, I always expected him to come out of nowhere at one point and be seen by Emily and the Final dude and have some sort of effect on what happens. I dunno...Dishonoured looked good but I just couldn't let these things pass by.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Leonardo Chaves said:
The neutral option never meant indecisive, "dunno, go with the flow" type guy.
It meant pratical, pragmatic, i'm here just for "x" and nothing else.

In a way he is more much more decisive than the "Samuel l Jackson" renegade and the hugs and kisses Paragon.
Never really thought of it like that, but I guess you're right thinking back towards the first two games. I still kinda stand by the reasoning of being a strong leader as most strong leaders have qualities that set them apart from the rest, be it Paragon or Renegade. While it does take away some choice, I think story wise it fits rather well. But hey, to each their own.