Gay characters in children's cartoons

bader0

Dec 7, 2010
lol i can hear the christians now:" THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!"

seriously though so many parents and idiots would be outraged. I think that this is a great idea and its definitely the future as far as anti discrimination is concerned but i dont think that society is mature or tolerant enough....yet.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Gralian said:
I'm glad for this and i will end with one final note, the reason why i feel it would make more sense to tackle them seperately, is that it would simply be more logical. To illustrate my point, i will use an analogy of making a sandwich for lunch and then eating it.

[snip]

In this case, if you don't try to break down what is already the 'accepted norm', you may find little or lessened success in trying to break down the 'accepted norm' in a group that isn't percieved to be as such to begin with, particularly when those 'accepted norms' are based purely off the assumptions of those who believe themselves to be the 'norm' to begin with.
I see it a bit more like making cookies: if you don't swipe a few raisins and lick the spoon after you frost them, you're missing out. But ehh.

bader0 said:
seriously though so many parents and idiots would be outraged.
Seems like that ought to be a point in its favor.

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
Dulcinea said:
Totenkopf said:
Dulcinea said:
Totenkopf said:
Ah, okay.
Let's look at the implications of the statement in bold letters here.
There aren't enough positive role models for homosexual children -->
That means that those children can't relate to straight characters, and can't regard them as role models,
what in return means that a heterosexual person can't relate to homosexual characters,
and is unable to regard a homosexual character / person as role model.
Nice trench-digging I have to say, inconspicuous but effective.
I'm not picking on you or your opinion, but what does that quoted section mean? I can't understand what you are saying by it.

Not being a jerk. Promise.
Excuse me if I wrote this incomprehensible. I'll try to word it more understandable now.

I just wanted to say that sexuality shouldn't mean any differences in terms of role models, because they should represent basic values. And in my opinion it's wrong to draw a line ("dig a trench") between them and say that people who have another sexuality need another kind of positive role model, because they would be unable to relate to already existing ones with different sexualities.
There shouldn't be so much weight put on sexuality, in my humble opinion.
Um...

Are you... in my head? That's exactly how I feel, lol.

[sup]But seriously, are you? Don't read my thoughts around 11pm to midnight. That's um... My time.[/sup]
Who knows if I can read your thoughts and at which times I would do so...

There is no such thing as private life!
Muhahahahaha!! *curly moustache*

Reaperman64

Dec 16, 2008
depends on the age of the kids show. My little brother is four and having any charecters display affection makes me uncomfortable. they need to have positive role models at the same age as positive straight ones.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
Dulcinea said:
Jack Macaque said:
So people are born with it? Not likely. That's rather ridiculous.
What do you say in reply to the medical community and all accredited psychologists that suggest sexual orientation is something you are born with?
To be fair they only suggest it (and release a billion and one research papers on the matter), there are also a great deal of folk in science who believe it is conditioned later on in life.

Personally, I don't know and I don't care. I yam what I yam.

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
So what actually would happen if kids are exposed to sexuality early in life? Do they spontaneously combust? Shit, I've seen so many people talking about wanting to keep sexuality out of kid shows entirely so they can teach their kids when the time's right, like when the time is right and what exactly needs to be said are the easy parts. Isn't this issue really part of a broader debate on why our society is so fucking weird about sex?

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
Dulcinea said:
I disagree. The vast majority of science suggests our sexuality is a result of our DNA and genetic makeup through our mother's pregnancy.

To suggest one can influence another's sexuality is simply absurd; I would donate my entire bank account and all my savings to anyone able to create a homosexual from a heterosexual.
Challenge accepted.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
Dulcinea said:
You know, if you did that, I'm pretty sure there's a law against it, lol.

Oh! I gots an idea! Let's turn all heterosexual and bisexual people homosexual! That'll help overpopulation.

I'm a hero, I know.

*walks off into the distance*
Back later. Going hospital. Broken nose.

:p

Seriously though, I think it is entirely possible to turn a straight man gay. It happens. Not as often as those who realise they are homosexual as soon as they come of age but it does happen. I have done it myself, I have the T-Shirt. And I'm not talking closet-cases who knew all along but were in denial, I'm talking guys that never even considered taking a boyfriend until suddenly it happened. Explain that, hero ;)

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
Dulcinea said:
I don't see how that was you 'becoming gay;' you simply realized your sexuality. Some people don't realize what they want until they are well and truly past their age of maturity. And we have to remember, in this day and age still, in our society, homosexuality isn't usually even an option talked about. Some of us get the 'whatever makes you happy' talk, but by and large, we grow up expecting to be like everyone else - heterosexual.
No that wasn't me - I've always known, since I was like 11 or something. I mean I've had a boyfriend who was straight before they met me... I don't mean that to sound big headed and even me saying that doesn't change that I now sound big headed lol, but it does happen and I have witnessed it first hand.

Okay so looking at your profile I can work out your age. What age did you realise your sexuality? What age did you consider that you were anything but heterosexual (question void if you are heterosexual)? My step father had a gay daughter who I grew up with, my Mum had a few gay friends, I grew up around homosexuality. Is it not possible that this had an affect on my sexuality? I mean, completely rule it out?

General_Potatoes

Jun 22, 2009
Doctor Glocktor said:
Isn't Spongebob gay?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNeP8PNOgIw This will answer anyones question about...... that particular subject. (BTW how do you embed videos on this website? I can't seem to do it).

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
Lets see here?

The Lesbian community has dibs on Velma from Scooby Doo.

And supposedly Lexington from Gargoyals is Gay.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
saint of m said:
The Lesbian community has dibs on Velma from Scooby Doo.
You know she and Shaggy are an official couple as of the latest series, right?

And supposedly Lexington from Gargoyals is Gay.
According to Greg Weisman, yes. He was supposed to get outed by implication, but the show got canceled before anything happened.

In the SLG comics, he had an obvious crush on one of the London Clan junior warriors (male). But I don't think that series got continued that far, either.

Anjel said:
Seriously though, I think it is entirely possible to turn a straight man gay. It happens. Not as often as those who realise they are homosexual as soon as they come of age but it does happen. I have done it myself, I have the T-Shirt. And I'm not talking closet-cases who knew all along but were in denial, I'm talking guys that never even considered taking a boyfriend until suddenly it happened. Explain that, hero ;)
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with Dulcinea here. That guy wasn't straight, just confused.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
Dulcinea said:
You big headed boob! :p

But seriously: I don't believe that was 'turning;' that was simply realizing who you (he) are (is). Like I said, it can take some time.

To your second paragraph: they've proven that children raised in a homosexual environment only suffer one side-effect -- increased likelihood of being a homophobe. This is caused, they think, by the child attributing any bullying or alienating they receive to be the fault of their parent's sexuality (which it is) and thus they hate what has made their life difficult. So that problem wouldn't even exist if people would stop picking on others. I sure do hate it when people pick on others for not being the same as them. It's so shallow and pointless. /rage

As to your question aimed at myself: I don't know what I am and I don't care in the slightest. I will find love where I find it.
Yes but even that side effect isn't a guarantee. Personally I disagree with gay couples adopting for that very reason. It's not about whether the parents can love the child, or the child can love the parents - it's the fact that society isn't ready for it yet (i.e bullying).

You don't know what you are and don't care? But just a few posts ago were you not saying "we grow up expecting to be like everyone else - heterosexual." I understand you've not contradicted yourself as such, but it's toeing the line a bit.

Farseer Lolotea said:
Yeah, I'm gonna agree with Dulcinea here. That guy wasn't straight, just confused.
Entitled to your opinion, but you weren't there. Trust me.