GaymerX2 Promises Bigger, Longer Show For 2014

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
widely accepted as just another gamer con
It is something to look forward too, but unfortunately, we aren't there yet. It will be some time before the "gay" in gaymercon is overlooked.

We can always strive though.

GoodEyeSniper

Sep 9, 2008
Abomination said:
wulf3n said:
Where does it say they want to convince the wider gaming audience of anything?
And now we've come full circle. If they don't want to convince the wider gaming audience to be more accepting of LGBT issues then what's the point of the discussions in the first place?

If their goal is to just talk of course people are going to sit back and ask... "Why do you need a con for that?"
Well, why do you need a con for anything? The entire point of conventions is to act as a meeting place for people who already share viewpoints regarding certain topics and want to discuss and celebrate them among like-minded people. Your arguments so far haven't been removed in any way from an argument against the existence of all conceivable conventions ever.

Conventions were made because the larger societal media had little regard for certain subjects, GaymerX carries on in that spirit as the video game community, at large, has expressed little interest in discussing minority representation in its medium in any meaningful way.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
Everyone keeps mentioning that this convention is a place for LGBT to feel safe.
Just how dangerous are regular conventions? are gay people often targeted for example?

Apr 5, 2008
All well and good with the convention and all, but I'm not sure I particularly want:
gender, sexuality, race, and identity
in my video games. I'd prefer to just kill orcs, aliens, robots, dragons and the like if it's all the same. I have no interest in literature, film, TV or other creative medium relating to the above, why would I want this stuff in my main hobby?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I'd rather go to PAX to be honest, they already have panels about LGBT stuff in gaming as well as a whole host of other topics. That's good enough for me. But if some folks want to have LGBT-Con then good for them, I hope they do well and enjoy it.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I'm not LGBT but if this was in the UK i would totally attend. One of the few times i regret i'm not stateside

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hellz_Barz said:
Just how dangerous are regular conventions? are gay people often targeted for example?
I don't think "danger" is necessarily the right word, but the prevalence of "fag, gay, homo," etc. in the gamer vernacular has to be disturbing for people who are actually gay. Simply put, most of us would be appalled if someone tossed racial slurs in public, but homophobic slurs haven't reached that level of widespread rejection.

And I'm also sure that some people do face the threat of physical violence, too, especially transsexuals, who are far more visible (and thus vulnerable to abuse) than your run-of-the-mill queer.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
KingsGambit said:
All well and good with the convention and all, but I'm not sure I particularly want:
gender, sexuality, race, and identity
in my video games. I'd prefer to just kill orcs, aliens, robots, dragons and the like if it's all the same. I have no interest in literature, film, TV or other creative medium relating to the above, why would I want this stuff in my main hobby?
Then just don't buy games with those themes? Then they won't have to be a part of 'your games' and you can kill as many orcs, aliens, goombas, orangutangs and blue cheese as you please.