Gearbox Announces HD Remakes of Homeworld 1 And 2

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Pink Gregory said:
It's an HD Re-release, not a remake. Think people should consider that before being all 'OH NO GEARBOX!'.

Higher resolutions, HD textures and availability on digital distribution platforms.

Why are you all doomsaying, again?
The articles both here, and on Polygon quite clearly state remake and not re-release and from that we can take it the word remake was used by GB at their PAX panel.

Unless you have something to show otherwise why jump in with a snarky quip for no good reason?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
You know...I was pensively hopeful of Gearbox breathing new life into the Homeworld franchise, after hearing of their acquisition, even if I have almost no admiration or respect for the studio anymore. Just the prospect of seeing the franchise revived had me excited.

However, now that we've come to learn more about this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kqNp1fZ9xQ], I can honestly say I don't give a rats ass what Gearbox does with the franchise. As far as I'm concerned, Homeworld ended at 2 and is being reborn, by the same team behind Homeworld, as Hardware: Shipbreakers.

(I will, however, be all over the rereleases, and/or the HD remakes, of Homeworld and Homeworld 2)

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
llafnwod said:
J Tyran said:
No thanks count me out, unless its actually good.
Said every sensible person, about every game ever. But it's OK to be excited. :)
Yeah, if someones pumped good for them. Nothing wrong with that because its perfectly natural, its just that for me I wont be paying much attention to any hype surrounding it and it will not be a day one purchase.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Dogstile said:
Zombine3D said:
J Tyran said:
So the people that made Duke Nukem: Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines along with a couple of OK shooters will be remaking a Relic RTS and Relic will have nothing to do with it?

Maybe I'm going out of my way with defending DNF, but listen: DukeForever was not THAT bad and Gearbox barelly did any work on it. The DNF we got was about 90% finished in 2009 by 3DR and then after the closure of 3DR the ex-members were working on the game from their homes (Triptych Games).
I liked DNF for what it was - a monster of a parody. Duke3D came out in the right time at the right place, Forever could never live up to it, as there was nothing much to do that hasn't been done (by 2009 I mean).
It was awful, I can finish 99% of the games I buy and I had to put it down. I don't know what the devs were thinking.
Probably that it wasn't ready to be released to the public.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Zombine3D said:
Dogstile said:
Zombine3D said:
J Tyran said:
So the people that made Duke Nukem: Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines along with a couple of OK shooters will be remaking a Relic RTS and Relic will have nothing to do with it?

Maybe I'm going out of my way with defending DNF, but listen: DukeForever was not THAT bad and Gearbox barelly did any work on it. The DNF we got was about 90% finished in 2009 by 3DR and then after the closure of 3DR the ex-members were working on the game from their homes (Triptych Games).
I liked DNF for what it was - a monster of a parody. Duke3D came out in the right time at the right place, Forever could never live up to it, as there was nothing much to do that hasn't been done (by 2009 I mean).
It was awful, I can finish 99% of the games I buy and I had to put it down. I don't know what the devs were thinking.
Which console? I played on the 360 (release day) and later that year picked up a 5$ copy on steam with all the DLC. 360 had loong loading times and blurry textures, while PC was fairly nice (with the 4-weapon-slots and 95 FOV and post processing off).
360, textures don't bother me (I liked oblivion) and I played it when it had four weapon slots. It wasn't the loading times or the graphics that bugged me, they looked fine. The game itself was fucking atrocious.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ah, Gearbox, need money to cover the recent failures?
yes, make a HD release of a game that runs perfectly fine as it is.

i finished playing homeworld 1 yesterday. absolutely nothing wrong with it. the game looks amazing for its time, it rusn flawlessly (havent crashed in 18 hours of campaign) and beside a few control problems (they could have done some things better) this was completely working and awesome game.
Why remake it? you can just release originals again, they are good enough to stand on their own and there are no compactability problems (played on win7 64 bits with no compactability settings and it ran fine)

the only real problem was a draw distance, you couldn't see some ships until they were too close.

shrekfan246 said:
and I guess they could upscale the textures and remove some of the compatibility tweaking so that it just runs straight out of the install,
they do. at least for me. installed, started game, no problems whatsoever.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Seems like a win-win to me. The gameplay's perfect, so all they have to do is update the textures and resolution. And even if they somehow manage to fuck that up, the original games are also being made available in all their classic glory.

Either way, it's a good day to be a Homeworld fan.