Gearbox CCO: Homeworld "Meant Something to Me"

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ishal said:
erttheking said:

That and I know that Gearbox can make good games, and I think that they'd be able to pull this off well.
And that is why. You answered it yourself. Gearbox can make good games, I purchased Borderlands 2 plus two of the DLC on the steam sale and I'm loving it so far.

It's the same reason people blew their stacks over ME3. What I think people don't understand is that all that rage over ME3 wasn't specifically over that particular game. It was due to Bioware disappointing so many people as developers. For many people, DA2 was a sign, but they waved it off as a fluke. Then ToR happened, "hey now, it's Bioware's first time doing and MMO, everything is still okay right? ... right?" Then ME3 happened and it finally hit people that, for many, the Bioware they knew and loved was gone. For so many people, Bioware was the main reason they kept gaming, to see them screw up like that sucked, they got burned. Now gamers, especially on forums like this, are cautious at best, and overly caustic and pessimistic at worst. And what sucks is Bioware can also do better! Or, they could have done better...

I think they'll do a good job here too, honestly. But I don't think people should throw money at it right away or expect the world from Gearbox.
Yeah, but the thing here is that after Colonial Marines, Gearbox DID release something that was pretty damn awesome. Tiny Tina's assault on Dragon's Keep.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
erttheking said:
Ishal said:
erttheking said:

That and I know that Gearbox can make good games, and I think that they'd be able to pull this off well.
And that is why. You answered it yourself. Gearbox can make good games, I purchased Borderlands 2 plus two of the DLC on the steam sale and I'm loving it so far.

It's the same reason people blew their stacks over ME3. What I think people don't understand is that all that rage over ME3 wasn't specifically over that particular game. It was due to Bioware disappointing so many people as developers. For many people, DA2 was a sign, but they waved it off as a fluke. Then ToR happened, "hey now, it's Bioware's first time doing and MMO, everything is still okay right? ... right?" Then ME3 happened and it finally hit people that, for many, the Bioware they knew and loved was gone. For so many people, Bioware was the main reason they kept gaming, to see them screw up like that sucked, they got burned. Now gamers, especially on forums like this, are cautious at best, and overly caustic and pessimistic at worst. And what sucks is Bioware can also do better! Or, they could have done better...

I think they'll do a good job here too, honestly. But I don't think people should throw money at it right away or expect the world from Gearbox.
Yeah, but the thing here is that after Colonial Marines, Gearbox DID release something that was pretty damn awesome. Tiny Tina's assault on Dragon's Keep.
That was one of the DLC I bought. Can't wait to play it!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ishal said:
erttheking said:
Ishal said:
erttheking said:

I guess that's the thing that kinda bugs me. Unlike Bioware, I see evidence that Gearbox still cares about making good stuff. I guess I kinda feel sorry for them.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
erttheking said:
Ishal said:
erttheking said:
Ishal said:
erttheking said:

I guess that's the thing that kinda bugs me. Unlike Bioware, I see evidence that Gearbox still cares about making good stuff. I guess I kinda feel sorry for them.
I get that. I feel sorry for some of them. Pitchford really fucked up with ACM though, that isn't going away anytime soon. I get the feeling that this dude who urged them to by Homeworld is one of the good guys. I'll probably pick up the HD versions when they come out, especially the first one.

Also, while I might not agree with his attitude toward some things in gaming, Anthony Burch seems to be pretty good at writing. I'm liking the story in BL2 so far.

People just need to be cautious is all.

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
blackknight467 said:
What about homeworld cataclysm? Will they get around to that too? That was by far my favorite game in the franchise.
I don't think they own the rights for Cataclysm which I believe are still in the hands of Sierra (Now owned by Activision and in limbo). I quite liked Cataclysm, may have been a bit of a spin off but it was damned good fun in it's own way.

Perhaps if HW/2 sells well enough, it will convince Activision to either sell the rights to GBX or do their own HD or original re-release.

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
What's the point? You're always so far away from the action (which is also a total clusterfuck of fighters, lasers and propulsion trails) it really doesn't matter what the graphics look like up close. Maybe add some nicer backdrops, but even that's pointless, HW is purposefully bleak for the most part.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I'm glad someone is doing something with the Homeworld franchise. However, given the simplistic elegance of the graphics, I don't think an HD make over is the right course of action. I guess if they are going to get it out there as a digital download they might as well HD it. I hope that all of this lead to HW3.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Stomperchomper said:
One would hope that if all they're doing is an HD re release of it, there isn't really room to screw the game up since they should just be making it prettier.
Yeah. Gearbox are fairly good devs and, if you measure their successes (Borderlands) against their failures (Duke Nukem Forever, Colonial Marines), it's easy to see that they ARE capable of making good games.

And yeah, it's just a HD rerelease. What are they gonna do? Have someone spout lame one-liners and rag on modern games?

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
erttheking said:
That's interesting, it'll be a good chance to try out the franchise. I wish you luck Gearbox.

EDIT: People are never going to let Gearbox forget Colonial Marines are they?
Bit once, twice shy.

OT
Adam Jensen said:
Honestly, I'm disappointed that Paradox Interactive didn't get it. They know how to make a great strategy game.
That's how I felt, Paradox makes some great games and strategy is right up their ally. Ah well, if Gearbox screws this one up there will be no excuse period. Seems like a very strange combination.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Honestly, I'm disappointed that Paradox Interactive didn't get it. They know how to make a great strategy game.
I'm upset that Relic didn't get to hold onto it. I am amazed that THQ had been sitting on this license for so long, and they never gave the original developer the chance to continue making sequels.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
erttheking said:
While I agree that some of the complaints were bickering, the fact is that Gearbox did commit fraud and they did try and trick the gaming community and Sega. It wasn't what ACM did that cause the massive backlash, it's what it stood for, the disregard for customer satisfaction and the intentional misleading to make a sale at any cost. It made EA look good at one point which frankly is saying something from a dev that alot of players respected and trusted. I know that it'll be a long time before I open my wallet to them again.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
While they might not be able to re-release HW:Cataclysm due to the whole IP rights mess, there's nothing stopping them from making a new game in the franchise that looks and feels like it. It's not like remodeling the mothership or making a new plot is forbidden by IP restrictions, and the rest of the game was pretty much the same as the original homeworld.

fingers crossed!

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Though I am also disappointed with Gearbox with their latest scam. "Season Pass" - They never mentioned when the season pass ended. So now they release more DLC that is not under the "Season Pass" and people have to pay for it. Wasn't the entire point of a "Season Pass" to DLC so people wouldn't have to buy things separate?

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Gearbox, please please please find a way to get the rights to Homeworld: Cataclysm. By far my favorite of the games in the series. To me, the Beast remains one of the best and creepiest factions ever made in a RTS game, they make the Zerg seem like teddy bears.

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
Ihateregistering1 said:
Gearbox, please please please find a way to get the rights to Homeworld: Cataclysm. By far my favorite of the games in the series. To me, the Beast remains one of the best and creepiest factions ever made in a RTS game, they make the Zerg seem like teddy bears.
oh god yes, the screams of your pilots as the beast over rides control and uses their still living bodies as fodder for shipcancer, just fills you with that dread that you have lost one or several ships that will soon return to you changed irrevocably(until you research that cleansing trait). the general chatter in HW:C was just delicious as well, each voice was perfect for it's role, the haggard and frazzeled sounding processor pilot and the recon drone, the mimic, hell even the captain of the Kuun-Lan. I also love the progression in ship design from one game to the next The destroyers in HW2 look like seafaring battle ships, and the Battle cruisers look like huge submarines

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
You know this sounds all well and good, I myself loved Homeworld, but didn't they talk up Duke Nukem in a very similar way? I am hoping they really release something good, of course this is just a straight forward HD remake, so how bad could they screw it up?

Mr C

May 8, 2008
ClockworkUniverse said:
Didn't Aliens "mean something" to Gearbox too?
Indeed, they'll grind this into the ground too. Don't forget that Duke Nukem was also close to their hearts. They should stick to their one hit pony Borderlands.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
As long as HD re-release means convert to 1920x1080, and then make it run stable on modern systems, then great!
If it means complete art overhaul and "gameplay tweaks" for modern audiences, then I say we march on Gearbox and stop the rape of our childhood dreams. IP after IP crushed under the cold uncaring boots of Randy Pitchford! TO ARMS BROTHERS!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
If it meant something to you why do you take a perfectly working (strangely robust as there is no problem running it on win 7 64 bit without any compatibilities) game, and bastardize it with remaking the game?
Braedan said:
As long as HD re-release means convert to 1920x1080, and then make it run stable on modern systems, then great!
If it means complete art overhaul and "gameplay tweaks" for modern audiences, then I say we march on Gearbox and stop the rape of our childhood dreams. IP after IP crushed under the cold uncaring boots of Randy Pitchford! TO ARMS BROTHERS!
while my resolutions only reached 14440x900 when playing it, ti ran stable and has never crashed for me. IT already runs stable on modern systems.
they did say "remake" and not just "remodeling", so expect gameplay tweaks.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
If they care about Homeworld so much, give it to Relic on the stipulation that they make Homeworld 3.