Gearbox: DLC Allows Opportunity to Take Risks

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Giant mechs??? You shittin me? HOW DID I MISS THIS??!??!?!! fap-fap-fap-fap-fap

CyberKnight said:
with Microsoft pulling the plug on Xbox Live support for all original Xbox games, all DLC for those games (free and/or paid) is no longer available.

You don't buy DLC, you rent it.
That is an excellent point, and one I have trouble conveying to friends about "buying" Zune videos on Live (although I never considered software in the same context until reading your comment). My friend tells me it's worth buying videos on XBox Live because you "own" the video, but I try to tell him No, You Don't. If I owned it, I could move the file to whatever media I want, or own it on a permanent media that I could play on whatever device I want. Zune videos only work when tethered to my Live account. I'm paying for permissions to be enabled on that account, which is not comparable to ownership. He usually says "whatever" and commences to watch an episode of South Park in HD. I can't fault him for enjoying it while it lasts...

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Abedeus said:
Yes, DLC allows opportunity to take risks.

Like the risk of being sued for introducing a DRM after people bought a DRM-free game.
STEAM automatically downloaded Securom on your legit copy of your game... if you download any DLC then it activates the Securom already on your system.

I reformatted my computer and I haven't bothered reinstalling Borderlands because of it.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
psrdirector said:
CyberKnight said:
Oh, it's an opportunity to take risks, all right -- the risk that you'll pay for something and only be able to play it for a limited time.

Can I plug my own thread here? Is that legal? Do people care about owning content yet? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.173943.4880513]

The summary (so you don't have to go there if you don't want) is that, with Microsoft pulling the plug on Xbox Live support for all original Xbox games, all DLC for those games (free and/or paid) is no longer available.

You don't buy DLC, you rent it.
if you already got it, its on your harddrive, so you didnt rent it you got it. The only people who cant get the dlc are people who didnt buy. How on earth is pulling down live so you cant buy new dlc making you rent it?
If (actually, when) your hard drive or console fails, then that's it. You can't get it back. No refunds or exchanges, no ability to re-download, no ability to make a backup or burn to a CD. It's gone.