Gearbox Reveals "Top-Secret" Title Codenamed Project 1v1

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Gearbox Reveals "Top-Secret" Title Codenamed Project 1v1

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1421/1421502.jpgGearbox revealed a new game yesterday that isn't Borderlands 3 - it's a combination of a first-person shooter and a collectible card game.

If you were hoping that the next game from Gearbox would be Borderlands 3, here's a news flash: it probably won't. The developer revealed a new project yesterday code-named Project 1v1 that it describes as a "top-secret, in-development, competitive first-person shooter that combines the action of fast-paced 1v1 first-person combat with the metagame strategy of a collectible card game."

That top-secret bit seems a little suspect, as Gearbox not only sent out emails to fans, it also launched an official website [http://www.project1v1.com/] for the game. That website offers interested gamers the chance to apply to join the Project 1v1 Closed Technical Test this summer, which Gearbox says will consist of "a limited number of players to test the online infrastructure and learn what players like you think about the game in order to inform and influence future development."

The test will include three game modes:

Ranked, which will have players "Get matched with an opponent based on player rating. Win ranked matches to earn experience and crates containing new cards."
Challenge, which will let you "Challenge a friend to an unranked match."
Arena, which will have you "Queue up to challenge the current Arena champion - and win to take their place."

While there's precious little else in the way of information about the game, there are three pieces of what appear to be concept art used as the backdrop for the site. You can see those images below.

If you're interested, you can find more information, as well as the link to sign up for the Closed Technical Test, over on the official Project 1v1 website [http://www.project1v1.com/].

[gallery=7585]

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
ffronw said:
That top-secret bit seems a little suspect, as Gearbox not only sent out emails to fans, it also launched an official website [http://www.project1v1.com/] for the game.
You don't say? xD

Gearbox has made some nice games in the past so this might prove somewhat interesting despite the makers having legendary failures like DN4never and ACM behind their belt (or it might very well not), but their marketing stunt this time around is just so very, very stupid.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ugicywapih said:
ffronw said:
That top-secret bit seems a little suspect, as Gearbox not only sent out emails to fans, it also launched an official website [http://www.project1v1.com/] for the game.
You don't say? xD

Gearbox has made some nice games in the past so this might prove somewhat interesting despite the makers having legendary failures like DN4never and ACM behind their belt (or it might very well not), but their marketing stunt this time around is just so very, very stupid.
*checks their list of games*

...The only good games they made is Borderlands. Everything else was either them porting it...or shit.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Saelune said:
Ugicywapih said:
ffronw said:
You don't say? xD

...The only good games they made is Borderlands. Everything else was either them porting it...or shit.
All three Half-Life Expansions are made by them, too.
And the Brothers in Arms series was considered good, too (not sure about specific installments, however as I never cared about WW2 shooter in general)

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bindal said:
Saelune said:
Ugicywapih said:
ffronw said:
You don't say? xD

I have not played them, nor do I ever hear too much about them.

Ugicywapih

May 15, 2014
Saelune said:
Bindal said:
Saelune said:
Ugicywapih said:
ffronw said:
You don't say? xD

And the Brothers in Arms series was considered good, too (not sure about specific installments, however as I never cared about WW2 shooter in general)
I have not played them, nor do I ever hear too much about them.
I hadn't played them either, but I did hear some very good things about them. Hell, I didn't even realize they made those. I did play the first Brothers in Arms and the first sequel and while it wasn't the second coming of Christ or anything, it definitely wasn't bad. I've also heard Battleborn was unfairly overlooked due to the domination of Overwatch - granted, the last one's pure hearsay, but it does look like BG puts out a decent game every now and again.

bladestorm91

Mar 18, 2015
That concept art does not inspire confidence. When an image of what's supposed to be an idealized form of your game (concept art) doesn't look exciting, then you failed at the very first step.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"Project 1v1 is the code name for Gearbox's top-secret, in-development..."

So top secret that you have a public web page for it. 0_0

That said, I've never got the Gearbox hate. Fine, everyone loathes A: CM (I actually quite like it) and Duke Nukem (which Gearbox had a part in, but was one of many). That's two bad games (by public consensus) out of over two dozen. That's hardly a bad record.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Hawki said:
That said, I've never got the Gearbox hate. Fine, everyone loathes A: CM (I actually quite like it) and Duke Nukem (which Gearbox had a part in, but was one of many). That's two bad games (by public consensus) out of over two dozen. That's hardly a bad record.
It's the shady shit that went on around the A:CM that sticks in my mind, outright fabrications and false footage at the worst I can recall ever seeing for a game. Just to name a couple things.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
chozo_hybrid said:
Hawki said:
It's the shady shit that went on around the A:CM that sticks in my mind, outright fabrications and false footage at the worst I can recall ever seeing for a game. Just to name a couple things.
I'm aware of the iffy development of A: CM, and the misleading advertising that went with it, but that's one game out of over twenty. Misleading advertising isn't unheard of across any media.

I don't really have any personal stake in Gearbox as a company, but from an outsiders' point of view, it does seem to get way more flak than it's earned.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
After feeling like I wasted money on Battleborn, I'm everything but confident in anything new from them. Let alone BL3.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
"...metagame strategy of a collectible card game"

That sounds suspiciously like code for 'we're going to make this game unplayable without micro transactions '