Gearbox Wants To Collaborate On Next Duke Nukem Game

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
elvor0 said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
Mr Pitchford, your Gearbox endeavours fucked up Duke Nukem Forver
Look, as bad as DNF was, laying the blame entirely at Gearboxes feet is entirely obtuse. It was a game 13 years in development that Gearbox stitched together. Lets not pretend it was going to the second coming until gearbox went near it, because that's just daft.
it may be a bit unclear who is really responsible for this mess but gearbox did buy the rights. so they should make things clear. DNF is a huge pile of crap. how these huge changes came together is unclear.

still remember the 2011 trailer of duke? now this looked like way more fun and more duke than this shit we have now. hell, even the 2011 version looks so much better than final product.

@zhukov
just saw your post after posting mine.
looks like it is requested. just look at the reviews on steam. the game got a "mostly positive" from gamers.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
elvor0 said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
Look, as bad as DNF was, laying the blame entirely at Gearboxes feet is entirely obtuse. It was a game 13 years in development that Gearbox stitched together. Lets not pretend it was going to the second coming until gearbox went near it, because that's just daft.
Are you sure that is what the person you quoted is suggesting?

Because if so, that'll be the first time I've heard that view put forth.

3D Realms made the game, but Gearbox released it. Some people at Gearbox looked at that game in all it's tepid shittiness and said, "Yep, we should promote and sell this. We should distribute it in return for actual currency. This will be a sound business decision!"

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Metalrocks said:
elvor0 said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
it may be a bit unclear who is really responsible for this mess but gearbox did buy the rights. so they should make things clear. DNF is a huge pile of crap. how these huge changes came together is unclear.

still remember the 2011 trailer of duke? now this looked like way more fun and more duke than this shit we have now. hell, even the 2011 version looks so much better than final product.
I did not remember the 2011 trailer for DNF, however I looked it up and....its exactly the same as what we got. There's not a single shot in that trailer that wasn't in the final game.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Zhukov said:
[...] Some people at Gearbox looked at that game in all it's tepid shittiness and said, "Yep, we should promote and sell this. We should distribute it in return for actual currency. This will be a sound business decision!"
And that's exactly what Gearbox went and did. I remember their propaganda. Randy knew exactly what he had and he went and sold it to the world anyway.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
After their last collaboration with another company ended in such a disaster, what sane company would work with such a **** as he?

Other than Borderlands I haven't bought a title off Gearbox in years. Other than that, they seem to consistently produce shit and then blame someone else for it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
elvor0 said:
I did not remember the 2011 trailer for DNF, however I looked it up and....its exactly the same as what we got. There's not a single shot in that trailer that wasn't in the final game.
oh my god. im so stupid. i cant believe i got the year wrong.
sorry. i mean this trailer here from 2001.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ticklefist said:
Unfortunately it's the "collaborative" efforts that have ran GBX's name through the gutter. I've enjoyed the stuff they develop themselves, but they slap their brand on some pretty horrible shit.
Well, that can be avoided by not farming it out to a second rate studio.

Zhukov said:
3D Realms made the game, but Gearbox released it. Some people at Gearbox looked at that game in all it's tepid shittiness and said, "Yep, we should promote and sell this. We should distribute it in return for actual currency. This will be a sound business decision!"
Thats a sound theory, but it ignores the role Take Two had in it.

They had been patient for over a decade and that patience had run out, and after getting full control of the project they were more interested in getting a return on thier investment.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Two words for Duke Nukem. Telltale Games

Don't play it straight. Make Duke a complete screw up with no self awareness who stumbles into success at the cost of others (think a rated R inspector Gadget) and retcon his entire history as a story told by an unreliable narrator.

It's the only way Duke makes sense in this day and age.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
If the Monolith Productions team got their talons on it, I think we could see an interesting Duke Nukem game. Between Gearbox's nuanced storytelling and MP's ability to make a decent shoot-em-up, that is.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Zhukov said:
elvor0 said:
BloodRed Pixel said:
Are you sure that is what the person you quoted is suggesting?

Because if so, that'll be the first time I've heard that view put forth.

Oh I'm not going to argue that it shouldn't have been put out. However, I'm just going by exactly what the guy said, which was "Gearbox, YOUR endeavors fucked up DNF", which is a pretty black and white statement of blame. Saying someones endeavours fucked something up is saying they are the person to blame.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
A new Duke could totally work as a smaller reflective piece, essentially make a game dishing out due lashings of how fucking bad DNF was which in game could work as "how old Duke got". Then Duke gets his shit back together again, you turn it back around into straight up fast paced old school shooter and you got the franchise back on track.

Of course this is Gearbox... their work on DNF was awful, their collaborations are awful, they lie to everyone about what it is they are doing, refuse to acknowledge anything could be wrong and their CEO just called everyone who dares complain about their shit games sadists.
If I had a company who could do a new Duke I sure as fuck would not sign up for that shit, nor do I expect and new Duke to turn out half decent given their track record.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
By "Gearbox is very busy" he means "I need a scapegoat to place all the blame on if it turns out to be shit"

I'm sorry but after Duke Nukem Forever and escpecially Aliens CM I can't trust gearbox and especially not Randy with anything, and Randy's snarky and frankly pathetic comments have only reinforced that attitude

Oathfish

May 30, 2014
Duke, as a character, cannot fly in today's society. It was fine when most gamers were younger with a more immature perspective on the world but now he just comes off as gross, dumb, and woefully outdated - since a large percentage of gamers have matured and are actually functional adults.

Now, having said that, Duke COULD work if it was played as satire. It would be a tricky line in the sand - and one that I know for a fact Gearbox could not manage - but recasting Duke as a ribbing at gamer culture of the 90's could be a smart move, if a dangerous one...gamers are pretty famous for not being able to take a joke at their expense and a full game representing the culture through a misogynistic meat head could easily draw ire.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
If People Can Fly (Painkiller, Bulletstorm) or Croteam (Serious Sam) wanted to take up the challenge, I might be tempted to give it a look. Those two studios really took up the reins for the run-and-gun FPS in the absence of Duke Nukem and his like, anyway.

But after the Colonial Marines fiasco, it's hard not to feel the people who think a second developer would end up playing scapegoat have a point.

As far as the "cultural tone" thing goes, I think one could make a good Duke Nukem game that still played up the 80s-style action hero machismo. Or satirize it, or even be smart enough to do both at the same time, seemingly different things to different people. But first, the character has to be a hero- likable, brave, witty, but above all, competent. Duke of DN3D kind of was that guy, because "his" input was limited to the occasional one-liner in between long stretches of empowering game-play that made the player feel like they were in the boots of a bad-ass. Duke of DNF was the one-eyed man in the village of the blind, or more accurately, the half-wit in the village of idiots. Just about every other character in the game was a blowhard, a bimbo, or an shrieking imbecile. Frequently more than one of the three. And with Duke running for cover every couple of hits and leaving multiple levels flat on his back passing out, it was hard not to think that the hero of any other FPS would be wiping the floor with the opposition and cutting back to piledrive our erstwhile hero without raising a sweat.

Don't tell me how awesome Duke is. Don't have everyone adoring Duke because the narrative insists he's awesome. Show me a Duke who warrants that adoration, and I might even think he's earned the downtime when he's hitting on strippers.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
If they try to make another Duke Nukem game, it'll take decades, during which the video game industry will crash, Peter Molyneux will die and his estate will be nightmare to sort out because he will not have most of the possessions his Will distributes (while having a number of sub-par possessions not listed in the Will), Johnathan Blowhard will create Ponytail (the sequel to Braid) which will be nothing more than a purple screen (he'll insist it's a metaphor for the Industrial Revolution), and the Escapist will vanish from the internet as a direct result of Yahtzee starting his own Patreon and getting enough money from it to buy the very continent he lives on.

And it will still come out before Half-Life 3.