Gearbox Worried Duke Nukem Too Crude For ESRB

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I am torn between "FUCK YEAH" and "Shit this is going to give those fun haters in the California legislature some ammo isn't it?"

Spellmaster

Aug 8, 2010
No censorship, there's no point in toning down Duke: he's supposed to be crude,loud and much like Chuck Norris if he used guns, you might as well go back to playing bejeweled if you find this offensive or too much for your fragile mind.

For the rest of us who want to play something this long awaited and inspired, bring on the mature content, a forgotten game style is needed now, no more halo, MW2, or gears of war clones, how about something new [relatively speaking] and entertaining ?

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Fucking politically correct pussies, just let the game fly in full fucking colors! ...assholes.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
derelix said:
jpoon said:
Fucking politically correct pussies, just let the game fly in full fucking colors! ...assholes.
*Sigh* I see some sheep are already doing what the devs want, getting riled up over something that hasn't even happened yet.
Who are the assholes your referring to? Maybe they will give it an AO rating, but why do you assume they are? Why do you have to go right to being the defensive, immature, game nerd? It makes us all look bad.
Why don't we wait for the facts before we get mad over something like this. Read the story, it doesn't say they are getting banned or censored, just that the devs are "worried" about it, in other words they are trying to get free press by saying "this game is so bad, I bet they won't let us sell it."
I'm referring to anyone who is insulted by people saying, doing, or creating what they want to create. Basically I cannot be bothered to restrain myself for people who expect me to be PC. So I'm a sheep because I won't bow to other peoples expectations...? I don't really think you know what the word sheep means in this circumstance because it's being used improperly. Call me a dick, call me an asshole, whatever. That's more accurate at least.

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
derelix said:
Nobody is sure if it's getting an AO rating, this is just a stunt to get press for the game.
And it can't be released with an AO rating. It would only be allowed on PC and since it wouldn't be sold in stores it would just get pirated more than anything else, for obvious reasons. Then you can say goodbye to any more duke games, even if this one is amazing and fun.
This was brought up with manhunt 2, but at least we waited for an actual rating before we started ranting about that. Let's try not to by into this publicity stunt, at least not yet.
What they are doing is obvious, now that they have gameplay videos released they want people to be interested. They want to be on gaming news sites, they want people to see those "related article" pages and start watching the gameplay videos if they haven't already. It's been done before, it's how the PR guys operate.
Hmm... good point.... I should've thought about that more.

derelix said:
"It's time to kick ass and take communion, and I'm against all forms of physical violence"
"It looks like it's to kill....gingivitis."
:D

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Ok, the trailer has the duke getting double bubble.

I am buying this game, playing it on my 50 inch plasma, and intend to delight in the disapproving, horrified squeals of my wife.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Why not have the really harsh stuff sold as DLC? That way the base game is M for mature, and when you go online to buy the DLC (since no stores will sell it) the DLC will be clearly marked as AO - Adults Only.

This wouldn't be hot coffee as they are clearly marking each aspect as the appropriate rating. They didn't sneak an AO bit of content into an M game. Its the same idea behind the "online play not rated by the ESRB" disclaimer to account for bad behavior/language from other players. You know what you're getting into when you go online, they tell you up front.