Gears of War 3 Hits the Torrent Tubes

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Now that is just SAD.

TWO WHOLE MONTHS?

I mean even the 3DS was only cracked AFTER it was released, even if it only took 24 hours.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
Irridium said:
Well said. But... what about Wii Party?
That's the stoned 3am munchie download of the group. You only download that when you're so far gone, you don't remember it and magically it appeared in the morning on your HD.

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
teebeeohh said:
wait, there are people buying gears for the story? i always thought the only reason to buy gears was to beat your friends to death with their own arm
Lol that was new in gears 3

but they did add picking them up as meat shield in gears 2 and... well...
..raping them against a wall.

that's why I play gears anyway.=D

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
lmfao

Let me guess, the discs are pressed in some shithole in China or some slightly better shithole in India? Yeah, I'm sure the slaves in the factory wouldn't possibly let a disc slip for a few hundred dollars....

Oh wait, its an "early build" of the game which means some M$ programmer slave let it slip. Geez, I wonder...

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Rednog said:
I seriously wish someone would confront Cliffy B with this, seriously he has been one of the biggest out criers against the evil PC gamers calling every PC gamer a pirate and deeming them not worthy of his games. Money says he would still find a way to blame this leak on an angry pc gamer who was just jealous the game wasn't on the pc so the angry pc gamer decided to leak it on the net.
He will state that you can't pirate and burn an X-Box game without a PC, so it's obviously them bathtube raiding scallywags fault.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Zhukov said:
Hey, umm... haven't Epic Games frequently said that they stopped releasing PC versions of their games because they were sick of seeing them get pirated?

Huh.

And that's all I'm going to say.
Yep, that is why Gears 2 wasn't on PC and a week after they said that it was leaked a month or so early on torrent sites. Honestly, I'm kinda glad it got leaked, so maybe they'll quit with the bullshit "pirates" scapegoat for stabbing the PC in the back.

K.

Nov 4, 2009
Dear Escapist?
This should not be a news topic, really.

I am a bit disappointed that you feel informing the internets to fire up their torrentsearch is a part of gamer culture.

[edit]
Oh, new forum rules:
"Similarly, posts including, advocating, or linking to illegal or adult material are a very quick way to end your time as part of The Escapist community. "
...right.

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
While I understand that full blown leaks like this are bad and all, I have to wonder, how much damage will this ultimately do? I mean, most people who were going to buy the game will still buy it because they mostly wanted the multiplayer right...?

hawkeye52

Jul 17, 2009
Irridium said:
hawkeye52 said:
The only thing that the 2010 most pirated list shows me is that the more ambiguous a game is in means of quality to how much potential it has or how interesting the concept is the more likely someone will pirate it.

By no means were dante's inferno or Alan Wake big name games like say the CoD series (which is shit now) but they had different things that were interesting to say the least. Dante's inferno being based on a story and having a decentish sounding story line and Alan Wake unique game mechanics and attempt at reviving the survival horror genre (or at least that was what i think it was trying).

However both games weren't that brilliant but were good enough to give some people an incentive to at least try them but not at the full price and hence high piracy rates.

Some games that have high brand recognition like the CoD series will inevitably have a high amount of pirates and again this gets higher the crapper a game is considered by that community. For example CoD BLOPS will have a high percentage of pirates then say portal 2 and its not because of the fact that portal 2 is on steam as that can be easily worked around by the pirates and has been done so many times.

Also on Starcraft 2 you will probably find that a lot of that piracy for that game is again due to its high brand recognition along with the fact that they upset tonnes of fans by putting stupid restrictions on the game like getting rid of offline LAN play which is one of the main reasons why SC1 became so big. Also the inability to play against people in different parts of the world as well because I think Europeans or Americans can't play against SE's because of the fact that they have different servers. So pissing off the fan base majorly is also a massive cause.
Well said. But... what about Wii Party?
Take a long look at the Wii's list of games and say that their is a game there that is not mario and that is aimed at the main consumer base there (i.e. is not zelda since thats more for the older generation of gamers who are most likely on the xbox, pc or ps3 atm) that is considered more popular then that (its pretty tragic I know)

K.

Nov 4, 2009
poiumty said:
K. said:
The issue needs to be presented. Ignoring a problem doesn't make it go away. This is less about it being pirated and more about Epic's ignorance on how piracy actually works.
I agree that the issue of piracy is a relevant topic.
It is this one news posting that irritates me.

It just reeks of schadenfreude.
- The headline makes it look like an actual release message.
- The writing tone is dismissive of Microsoft's reaction, falling short of adding a "ha-ha" somewhere.
- And, finally, the news neither mentions Epic Games nor their stance on piracy... which would probably add some context that I am missing at the moment.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This is truly a pity. Poor Epic.

On a related note, I'm actually looking forward to Gears of War 3 more BECAUSE of the story than the gameplay.

Lord_Jaroh

Ad-Free Finally!
Apr 24, 2007
Irridium said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Keava said:
Prince Regent said:
True, but the seperation between console and PC is made on scale. Only a small quantity of console gamers own a hacked console. So publishers lose way less money on hacked console games when compared to a hacked PC game that everyone can run.
Pardon moi, but source?
The amount of pirated copies of Starcraft 2 and Cash-In of Duty: Crap Ops speak for themselves.

oh. here's some links:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106492-And-the-Most-Pirated-Game-of-2010-Is

there's almost 4x as much piracy on the PC than on the 360.

oh, and Starcraft 2 is on there as well
Two of the most pirated console games were Dante's Inferno and Wii Party? Really?

Anyway, console piracy is still in the millions(though just barely on the 360, but still). To just dismiss it since it's not as high as PC numbers is foolhardy.
Would you spend money to try them out?

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
dogstile said:
Seems like theirs a SPAH in epics department.
I could see Cliffy B running down hallways with a flamethrower trying to fix that problem.
I'd laugh if was Cliffy B that leaked it, just so he could have an excuse to complain more about PC gamers being pirates!

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I don't have a modded 360, but I want to download it just to screw with them. I doubt they have the resources to go after everyone who downloads their shitty game.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
If a non-final build of your game is leaked months before release, you have nobody to blame but your own employees.

I mean that seriously, too. Either the uploader was an employee, or an employee did something stupid that put it into the hands of outsiders.

Pirates will do what pirates do, but in cases like this you should really blame the person who gave them access to the game in the first place, who is either a moron or a backstabber.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
It always makes me chuckle when they throw out the "It's not the final product" card. As if that makes any damn difference at all. I would really love to meet the person who sees this article and plans to go get it off of his or her favorite torrent site then abruptly changes those plans once they see "it's not the final product". The funny part is that more times than not when something gets leaked early it is the final product regardless of what the studio may otherwise claim.

Of course I don't know about anyone else but seeing this article and seeing Gears 3 leaked like this 2 months prior to release just brings a smile to my face. After all the shit ol' Cliffy B talked about PC gaming and how he's treated PC gaming as a whole, to see one of his biggest games leaked 2 months early is just the sweetest kind of karma.