Geek Eats

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
*looks at his "Geek to the Core" badge*
*shakes head*

This is one way in which I'm not much of a geek. I tend to eat a bit healthier than that. Lots of salad, fruit, a moderate amount of meat and cheese, and few complex carbs, almost all of which come from whole grains or potatoes.
...and I drink more green tea than mountain dew... well, actually I drink the Shasta knockoff of mountain dew. But not much of it.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Quantum Leap reference? I'll have to try it just for that!

That apple crumble doesn't sound too bad either...

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Some of those eat's sound rather tasty~

If you'll excuse me.... *Om nom nom nom nom nom* :D

agrandstudent

Nov 23, 2009
How much tea is in a bag of earl gray tea? All of my Earl gray is loose leaf.

edit: after doing some research I have found that 4 bags of Earl gray tea is about equal to .35 oz

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Random moment of "wtf" of the day:
Open a random article on the escapist and immediately ask "Is that scott bakula?"

Sounds interesting I wish I could cook but alas the only thing I can make is a mess of things.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Definitely interested in trying the blossom, though I'm curious as to what kind of beer is recommended, since there are so many types of beer out there.

Feb 13, 2008
Rose Tyler with Parmesan Cheese?

She'd have Tesco value cheese scrapings.

And gravy/curry sauce.

This is a proper Rose Tyler chip supper.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Rose Tyler with Parmesan Cheese?

She'd have Tesco value cheese scrapings.

And gravy/curry sauce.

This is a proper Rose Tyler chip supper.

You're making me really want to live in London right now, and I don't even like fish all that much!

firemark

Sep 8, 2009
I was personally intrigued by the choice of using nutmeg on the chips. I personally would swap it out for some freshly grated parmesan cheese and garlic powder, but that's me. The cupcakes looked interesting as well. I'm not much of a dessert guy but I may have to investigate that. Until then I'll stick to my chicken parmesan, chili, and a thing I call the Triple Play: Bratwurst on a salted pretzel bun with beer cheese sauce, topped with tomato and fresh peppery cole slaw and mustard. It reminds me of all that is good at baseball games, because quite frankly I hate the game of baseball, so all that is good is food related.

Raqshiem

Jan 31, 2010
The chips recipe sounds more like a gratin recipe where someone forgot the cream. I've got to admit, though, my heart sank a little when you disposed of the bacon renderings and added mayonnaise in the Swiss Bacon dip.

Pro Tip: Instead of mayo, drain and reserve the bacon fat. Whip one chicken yolk (Just the yolk, mind you; no albumen) with a sprinkling of salt until the yolk thickens slightly and is notably lighter in color. Add about a tsp of dijon mustard (or less if you like; the lecithin from the yolk should provide all of the emulsifying power you need, really.), a pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne), and whisk to combine. Once everything is fully integrated, SLOWLY pour the bacon renderings into the yolk while you continue to whisk. Drizzle that liquid love in. If you pour too quickly, or, God forbid, just dump it in, you'll end up with a nasty oil slick instead of a lovely sauce. After you've established a good emulsion and added all of the bacon fat, season with salt, black pepper, and lemon juice to taste. I personally would run a garlic clove through a microplane, or use the flat of a blade to turn it into a paste, and add that to the bacon aioli.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I'd like to see a recipe for Bachelor Chow, personally. This stuff all looks pretty tasty though.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
My best recipe? Fresh bread, mozzarella, mexicana doritos and ham. Microwave for 25 seconds. Enjoy.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
What is an oz anyways? I honestly have no idea what those measurements mean. Imperial units are so stupid. The system uses the same units for force and mass, which in my opinion is why people think the two are synonymous.