Geek Remix: Sera Is Special

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
This post contains some DLC spoilers/hints.

I had never heard that particular theory before, it is quite an interesting one. I had heard some of the conversations between Sera and Solas, and they were a bit strange, as if Solas recognized something in her. The Cole-Sera conversations could almost be said to be "hidden", as what madperson would go out with two rogues? According the Word of God, Cole was aware of Solas' nature all along, which means he might have been aware of Sera's nature as well, whatever that is.

Solas seemed pretty darned sure that he had successfully banished and sealed the rest of the Evanuris aside from himself and Mythal away, but also acknowledged the possibility of them coming back if his plan succeeded. I think the "Well of Sorrows" theory makes the most sense, with her being neither the "house" for Andruil like Flemeth nor "being" Andruil (with amnesia) like Solas. Still, I think there's enough evidence to say that she is indeed connected to the ancient elves and Andruil in some way.

There's a number of other strange things which might add up to something, such as her rather unique fear and apprehension about magic, and the fact that she puts at least some stock in Andraste. Her fear is also... "The Nothing" (not just nothingness or loneliness), which might have some connection to what the Dread Wolf did to the Enavuris.

JohnZ117

A blind man before the Elephant
Jun 19, 2012
hentropy said:
The Cole-Sera conversations could almost be said to be "hidden", as what madperson would go out with two rogues? According the Word of God, Cole was aware of Solas' nature all along, which means he might have been aware of Sera's nature as well, whatever that is.
Mage p.c., ranged; Sera, ranged; Cole, melee, d.p.s.; Iron Bull or "sword-and-board" character, melee, tank. That makes sense to me.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Geek Remix said:
Sera Is Special

Is there a reason why Sera is the way she is.

Watch Video
Some constructive criticism: You desperately need to give the audience some background on the things you're talking about. It seemed like you made this video with the assumption that everyone who is watching it has beaten DA: Inquisition, and knows about some very obscure parts of the 'verse's lore.

Like, for example; who is this Andruil character? The first time you mentioned her, you told us nothing about her; I had to go look her up to see who she even was.

Also, you shouldn't reference theories you've previously talked about without giving a brief overview and/or showing us where to find the original. I have no idea what your "dragon keys" (?) theory is, and I'm not sure where to find it, or even what it is.

As for the video itself...I think I missed something. I've not had a chance to play through the DLC, so I'm missing important pieces of the puzzle. Guess I need to drag myself away from Fire Emblem and Hearthstone so I can sit down and knock it out.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
JohnZ117 said:
hentropy said:
The Cole-Sera conversations could almost be said to be "hidden", as what madperson would go out with two rogues? According the Word of God, Cole was aware of Solas' nature all along, which means he might have been aware of Sera's nature as well, whatever that is.
Mage p.c., ranged; Sera, ranged; Cole, melee, d.p.s.; Iron Bull or "sword-and-board" character, melee, tank. That makes sense to me.
Rogues aren't sturdy enough to take on the bulk of combat like that, I paired Cole with two warriors and he was always the first to fall, had to find a way to make him generate guard or some other kind of defense. I mean, sure, you can do it and probably get by with it, but it's not exactly optimal.

SlumlordThanatos said:
As for the video itself...I think I missed something. I've not had a chance to play through the DLC, so I'm missing important pieces of the puzzle. Guess I need to drag myself away from Fire Emblem and Hearthstone so I can sit down and knock it out.
I was going to point that out myself, there are no direct DLC spoilers I think but it does get very close.

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
Geek Remix said:
Sera Is Special

Is there a reason why Sera is the way she is.

Watch Video
Some constructive criticism: You desperately need to give the audience some background on the things you're talking about. It seemed like you made this video with the assumption that everyone who is watching it has beaten DA: Inquisition, and knows about some very obscure parts of the 'verse's lore.

Like, for example; who is this Andruil character? The first time you mentioned her, you told us nothing about her; I had to go look her up to see who she even was.

Also, you shouldn't reference theories you've previously talked about without giving a brief overview and/or showing us where to find the original. I have no idea what your "dragon keys" (?) theory is, and I'm not sure where to find it, or even what it is.

OH shit I am so sorry. This video was part of a larger series from a while ago, it was made about a month after DA:I came out. I edited to delete any references to other videos, but it seems like I missed one part.

So this is pre any DLC. Also yeah I should have explained who all those people are. :)

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
hentropy said:
There's a number of other strange things which might add up to something, such as her rather unique fear and apprehension about magic, and the fact that she puts at least some stock in Andraste.
Why on earth is Sera's fear "unique"? It seems very mundane and very comprehensible, given Thedas's plentiful/never-ending issues with all things magic. I don't think it's any different from, say, Iron Bull's fear and apprehension - the only difference is that Bull (or Vivienne) can articulate better than Sera.

Honestly, when I saw the title of this piece I kinda assumed it was going to explore the idea of Sera's-- er, what's the term? Neurodiversity? Yeah, that's it. Or her rather uncomfortably sociopathic tendencies.

Still, I think there's enough evidence to say that she is indeed connected to the ancient elves and Andruil in some way.
I see speculation and sub-subtext, but absolutely no evidence without the very conscious filter of a fan theory.

I suppose it's an interesting fan theory, but one I certainly hope isn't true. Major DA:I spoiler:
One frustrating, eternal nutcase elf-god-thing is more than enough in one group of companions, ta very much! I much prefer the idea of Sera just being a bit bonkers in a very mundane way; a child of troubled times (Denerim during the Fifth Blight) becoming a troubled adult.
Oh, and finally:
...as what madperson would go out with two rogues?
Me, as rogues can typically hit harder than anything else in DA:I, and they're more fun in combat than DA:I's fairly bland warrior types.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
Sera is special, she almost saved the game for me

I was so bored with the game, then all of the sudden she comes along and steals the enemies breeches because "no breeches! lol!"

And I laughed and laughed, but then I cried because that one mission was the most fun I had in the entire game

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
hentropy said:

I had never heard that particular theory before, it is quite an interesting one. I had heard some of the conversations between Sera and Solas, and they were a bit strange, as if Solas recognized something in her. The Cole-Sera conversations could almost be said to be "hidden", as what madperson would go out with two rogues? According the Word of God, Cole was aware of Solas' nature all along, which means he might have been aware of Sera's nature as well, whatever that is.

Solas seemed pretty darned sure that he had successfully banished and sealed the rest of the Evanuris aside from himself and Mythal away, but also acknowledged the possibility of them coming back if his plan succeeded. I think the "Well of Sorrows" theory makes the most sense, with her being neither the "house" for Andruil like Flemeth nor "being" Andruil (with amnesia) like Solas. Still, I think there's enough evidence to say that she is indeed connected to the ancient elves and Andruil in some way.

There's a number of other strange things which might add up to something, such as her rather unique fear and apprehension about magic, and the fact that she puts at least some stock in Andraste. Her fear is also... "The Nothing" (not just nothingness or loneliness), which might have some connection to what the Dread Wolf did to the Enavuris.
I know I messed up the video in the editing, but I feel that there are a few characters in the Dragon Age world who hold something similar to the well of sorrows.

Much like with the inquisitor or Morrigan, someone can hold a part of an elven "god". Which some people don't know they hold. Also much like Morrigan's son who also holds a small piece of an old god (there are heavy implications that the Old Gods are the locked away Elven Gods speaking through dragons).

I think Sandal also holds a piece of an old god/elven god as well. As he was mysteriously found and later had magical powers. Much like how Sera was found with amnesia, and she has mysterious powers.

Multiple characters without the ability to know where their specific powers come from is kind of strange. Let's not also forget that Andruil was implied to be lovers is Ghilan'nain and Sera is a strict lesbian. I mean yeah she threatened to rape Solas but I think that was more of a punishment.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Actually, there's a much more mundane explanation of Sera's childlike mannerisms and behaviors, her uncanny abilities and inability to explain them, and her unique perspectives noted by Cole and Solas: She is autistic.

That's why Cole doesn't try again to "heal her hurt", because he saw that it would change her into someone else. That's why Solas asks her viewpoint about his mysticism, because her mind processes information differently and uniquely.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
Why on earth is Sera's fear "unique"? It seems very mundane and very comprehensible, given Thedas's plentiful/never-ending issues with all things magic. I don't think it's any different from, say, Iron Bull's fear and apprehension - the only difference is that Bull (or Vivienne) can articulate better than Sera.
Personally I do think it is unique. Sera's fear of magic seems more... unwarranted? Like, Iron Bull is Qunari, raised to fear magic above all else, and yet he seems okay with it generally, the fear seems more reasonable. Vivienne's "fear" (although I wouldn't say she's afraid) comes from first-hand knowledge and experience. Sera seems magic-phobic, moreso than even the Qunari. Look through some of the idle chatter she has with other mages, including Dorian, and she seems downright skittish. For a woman who has no qualms about taking on powerful nobles and doesn't afraid of anything, her phobia of magic seems more strange. She's afraid of demons and Fade stuff but everyone is. But even the prospect of accidentally getting hit with a spell scares the crap out of her.

To me at least, it feels like she acts like her fear comes from ignorance, when in reality it comes from something else.

I see speculation and sub-subtext, but absolutely no evidence without the very conscious filter of a fan theory.
I may have overstated a bit. I think the creators are trying to point to *something* about Sera, judging by these things. I think there's something clear pointing there. But nothing that specific.

Me, as rogues can typically hit harder than anything else in DA:I, and they're more fun in combat than DA:I's fairly bland warrior types.
Rogues are more fun to play, it's true. Though for people I don't play often, it matters less how fun they are.

2xDouble said:
Actually, there's a much more mundane explanation of Sera's childlike mannerisms and behaviors, her uncanny abilities and inability to explain them, and her unique perspectives noted by Cole and Solas: She is autistic.

That's why Cole doesn't try again to "heal her hurt", because he saw that it would change her into someone else. That's why Solas asks her viewpoint about his mysticism, because her mind processes information differently and uniquely.
I'll try to say this in the nicest and most understanding way as possible... that's really not what autism is. Neuroatypicals (yes, Firefox, it is a word!) are not known for being particularly chatty, charismatic, or eloquent. Cole is closer, and shows some autistic tendencies. Sera is just cheeky and "urban" as far as a fantasy world goes. She largely had to look after herself, surrounded by urban street-toughs, cracking wise and sticking it to people. She says the same thing as most, just in a different (and maybe unique) dialect.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
geekremix_Mari said:
hentropy said:

I know I messed up the video in the editing, but I feel that there are a few characters in the Dragon Age world who hold something similar to the well of sorrows.

Much like with the inquisitor or Morrigan, someone can hold a part of an elven "god". Which some people don't know they hold. Also much like Morrigan's son who also holds a small piece of an old god (there are heavy implications that the Old Gods are the locked away Elven Gods speaking through dragons).

I think Sandal also holds a piece of an old god/elven god as well. As he was mysteriously found and later had magical powers. Much like how Sera was found with amnesia, and she has mysterious powers.

Multiple characters without the ability to know where their specific powers come from is kind of strange. Let's not also forget that Andruil was implied to be lovers is Ghilan'nain and Sera is a strict lesbian. I mean yeah she threatened to rape Solas but I think that was more of a punishment.
This idea reminds me of something I overlooked in the game.
Do you remember the Lost Temple of Dirthamen?
http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Lost_Temple_of_Dirthamen

It's that dark place where you had to collect the priests body parts to summon his spirit.
Anyway, Dirthamen was the "god" of secrets, and after he was gone (thanks Solas ;p) all his priests kind of went insane with paranoia and seemed to either kill each other or stayed in the temple until they died.

This makes me think that those very close to their specific gods had some kind of connection with them. Similar maybe to a mage's connection to the Fade, or like the Well of Sorrows.
We don't yet know how all this works, so maybe this "connection" can be passed down a bloodline. Kind of like magic.

So maybe Sera's "special thingy" is some kind of connection to Andruil's version of the Well of Sorrows, or maybe some other connection with the elven "god", that she has because her ancestors served as Andruil's priests/vassals/whatever you'd call what Abelas was.

Or maybe she's just a bit weird. ;p
I'd be happy with that too.

As for Sandal, he did somehow get into that old elven "library/magic internet" in DA:I Trespasser, so he's got to at least KNOW something about this stuff. If not be directly involved.

P.S. When did Sera threaten to force herself on Solas? I remember the time Cassandra threatened to shove Cole's hat up his ass, but I don't remember that chat between Sera and Solas. <_<

geekremix_Mari

Nov 25, 2015
Imp Emissary said:
P.S. When did Sera threaten to force herself on Solas? I remember the time Cassandra threatened to shove Cole's hat up his ass, but I don't remember that chat between Sera and Solas. <_<
it wasn't Sera. It was Andruil. And Andruil was angry at "fen'harel" for eating some Halla or something. And she said she was going to force him to be her sex slave for like a year and a day. And this other guy was like "no i want to kill him cuz he's a jerk" and then Fen' harel got them to fight against each other and they both pass out. And then Fen'Harel escapes by biting the ropes.

TL'DR Andruil was a weirdo.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
hentropy said:
Darth Rosenberg said:
Personally I do think it is unique. Sera's fear of magic seems more... unwarranted? Like, Iron Bull is Qunari, raised to fear magic above all else, and yet he seems okay with it generally, the fear seems more reasonable. Vivienne's "fear" (although I wouldn't say she's afraid) comes from first-hand knowledge and experience. Sera seems magic-phobic, moreso than even the Qunari. Look through some of the idle chatter she has with other mages, including Dorian, and she seems downright skittish. For a woman who has no qualms about taking on powerful nobles and doesn't afraid of anything, her phobia of magic seems more strange. She's afraid of demons and Fade stuff but everyone is. But even the prospect of accidentally getting hit with a spell scares the crap out of her.

To me at least, it feels like she acts like her fear comes from ignorance, when in reality it comes from something else.
I'm not sure her fear of magic is comparable with how Bull feels about magic. He's actually pretty okay with mages and "simpler" magic (he even asks Vivienne to use Ice magic for him during fights).

However, he does have a fear more similar to Sera's fear of magic. He's afraid of demons. Even though he can kick the crap out of them, he gets very disturbed by them, and it's even worse when he has to go into the Fade (similar to Sera).
In fact, fear of the Fade is even more common among non-mage characters (which makes sense given mages are the only ones with a lot more understanding of the Fade).

There might be something up with Sera, but I'm not convinced that her issues with magic, or the Fade are related to whatever it may or may not be.

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
geekremix_Mari said:
Imp Emissary said:
it wasn't Sera. It was Andruil. And Andruil was angry at "fen'harel" for eating some Halla or something. And she said she was going to force him to be her sex slave for like a year and a day. And this other guy was like "no i want to kill him cuz he's a jerk" and then Fen' harel got them to fight against each other and they both pass out. And then Fen'Harel escapes by biting the ropes.

TL'DR Andruil was a weirdo.
Oh. Okay that makes more sense.

Andruil was a bit messed up in the head, yeah. Her whole making armor out of the Void that made her go nuts until Mythal was able to keep her out of the Void long enough to get the armor off her (at least I think that's how it went) was neat too.
It sounded like Andruil was wearing lyrium armor.
Makes me wonder if "the Void" was a term the Elves used to name a place in the deep roads.

Also, I wonder how true that story is about them. Maybe it was actually Solas stealing some of the Halla to help feed his rebels, but he got caught, and got Andruil to fight/argue with another god while he escaped.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
geekremix_Mari said:
But if she was a strict lesbian, then why give him that punishment over... literally any of the other horrible things she could've done to him? Why jump straight to rape and sexual servitude, if she's not even into dudes?

Imp Emissary said:
So maybe Sera's "special thingy" is some kind of connection to Andruil's version of the Well of Sorrows, or maybe some other connection with the elven "god", that she has because her ancestors served as Andruil's priests/vassals/whatever you'd call what Abelas was.
I think I prefer this (Assuming there's anything up with Sera at all) because, seriously, how many times are they gonna pull the "A God in Disguise" twist and expect us to be surprised? It was cool when it happened with Flemeth. It was even pretty cool when it happened with Solas. Revealing that the Inquisition party was stupid with hidden deities though, that's a bit too much.

Also, I think Sandal relates to the Titans rather than the Elven gods. He was found in the Deep Roads after all, and is skilled in enchantment (A thoroughly Dwarven art.)

Imp_Emissary

Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Saetha said:
I think I prefer this (Assuming there's anything up with Sera at all) because, seriously, how many times are they gonna pull the "A God in Disguise" twist and expect us to be surprised? It was cool when it happened with Flemeth. It was even pretty cool when it happened with Solas. Revealing that the Inquisition party was stupid with hidden deities though, that's a bit too much.

Also, I think Sandal relates to the Titans rather than the Elven gods. He was found in the Deep Roads after all, and is skilled in enchantment (A thoroughly Dwarven art.)
Well, for all we know enchantment is of just Dwarven creation. Their history isn't exactly the most accurate. Few tiny titan omissions. ;p

That said, I bring up that he may be envolved in elven stuff because it is believed that his mother may have been an elf.
His father is apparently an unknown Aeducan man.
In DA:2 Legacy DLC you can listen in on two dwarfs talking about "a human or maybe an elf woman" that abandoned a male Aeducan child in the deep roads.

There used to be a video of this conversation, but I can't find it now. :(
They say all elves use to have magic, so what would happen if a dwarf and an elf had a child? Could that child then be connected to the Fade?

Just an idea though, I'm sorry I can't find the video of the conversation. :/
I wouldn't be too surprised if he's connected with the titan's instead though. Or perhaps even both.
Hopefully we get some answers on all that soon.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
I honestly hate the "Sera is special" theories because they all completely negate her character.

Sera is all about bringing "special" people down. Nobles, the wealthy, diplomats, generals. The player character, even by extension the player themself. The more powerful and "important" someone is, the more she wants to humble them, put them on a more even playing field with "normal" people. Yank away the pedestal.

For her to turn out to be super special herself would make her character so utterly thematically hollow.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
hentropy said:
Nothing you've described is in any way out of the ordinary. Can't normal people be "magic phobic"? Also, phobia suggests an irrational fear, and fear/dislike/hatred of magic in Thedas is perfectly logical (I'd say increasingly so as the series progresses... #istandwithmeredith).

And "even the prospect" of getting hit with a spell scares her? Not sure you need an "even" qualifier with that perfectly validly feared circumstance!

I may have overstated a bit. I think the creators are trying to point to *something* about Sera, judging by these things. I think there's something clear pointing there. But nothing that specific.
This is BioWare, we're talking about... and are BioWare ever that subtle? I love 'em to bits (even though they actually kinda suck at core game design, and DA:I's combat is notably terrible/puddle shallow), but subtlety is not one of their strong points going back over a decade, as they just love on-the-nose foreshadowing.

She says the same thing as most, just in a different (and maybe unique) dialect.
Are you suggesting a unique character design/creation equates to 'ancient elf-god no.2'? Can't it just be a distinct character?

Her speech patterns and phrasings - though emphasised for dramatic effect - are intimately familiar to any Brit, though, so I just hear an impressively detailed and authentically presented dialect/syntax to round out the 'Ferelden's are Brits' spectrum of DA.

AntiChri5 said:
I honestly hate the "Sera is special" theories because they all completely negate her character.

Sera is all about bringing "special" people down. Nobles, the wealthy, diplomats, generals. The player character, even by extension the player themself. The more powerful and "important" someone is, the more she wants to humble them, put them on a more even playing field with "normal" people. Yank away the pedestal.

For her to turn out to be super special herself would make her character so utterly thematically hollow.
Agreed. I'm personally already getting a little tired of the metaphysical plotlines and uber-epic reveals dominating arcs of DA (DA:O felt much more grounded), so I really don't want more of that. Sera's insistently irreverent anti-epic mundanity is a necessary contrast. Lots of characters in DA:I express awe at just how crazy everything's getting, but Sera's character sells it best; a cocktail of panic and denial filtered through her street smarts, and complicated by her seemingly culturally imparted religiosity. Her being a special snowflake like Solas would make that pretty meaningless.

So if it ever turns out to be true? Well, I think it's a poor piece of writing from BioWare (and for the most part I think they're been pretty great since KotOR).

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Bloody hell, are we still talking about Dragon Age Inquisition? It was a dumb and insignificant game when it came out and it still is now, yet it's had countless articles and discussion. Even one article is too much for this mindless game. Let's try talking about something else.