Gen Con Unhappy with Indiana Governor over SB 101 - Update

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
Gen Con Unhappy with Indiana Governor over SB 101 - Update

Things aren't looking great for Indiana and Gen Con, LLC.

Update:
Yesterday, CEO and Owner of Gen Con LLC Adrian Swartout issued another letter [http://files.gencon.com/Gen_Con_Anti-Discrimination.30_Mar_2015.pdf] addressing updates to her original response to Indiana Governor Mike Pence regarding the recent passing of SB 101. In this letter, Swartout describes a phone call between Gen Con LLC and Governor Pence, and explains current plans for the future of Gen Con in Indiana.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Gen_Con/status/582670729541332992]

"Indiana Governor Mike Pence took time to call and discuss Indiana's recently passed RFRA [Religious Freedom Restoration Act] law. Governor Pence has stated that he believes the outcry against this law is based upon a misunderstanding. We respectfully disagree with this position. A significant portion of Gen Con attendees identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgender, and we are reading that some members of our community feel unsafe traveling to Indiana, subsequent to the passage of the RFRA law. We understand this sentiment, and will act to support safety."

Swartout also states that Gen Con 2015 will be held, as originally planned, at the Indiana Convention Center this July 30 through August 2, and that the Gen Con team is working with "the City of Indianapolis, local businesses, Visit Indy, and other grassroots organizations to ensure fair and safe treatment during this year's show."

"Gen Con has asked Governor Pence to support an amendment to RFRA that includes protections against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity." Swartout states

She goes on to state that, "Gen Con has asked Governor Pence to support an amendment to RFRA that includes protections
against discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. We believe that freedom from discrimination is a fundamental human right. Until Gen Con has received legally sound assurances that Indiana will support these rights, we are halting our plans to expand Gen Con into Lucas Oil Stadium, and plans for further expansion into other hotel convention spaces."

Judging by both statements released by Gen Con LLC, it's obvious that Swartout and her team are serious about moving the convention out of Indiana in the future should a repeal or amendment of RFRA not be made.

Original Story:

Gen Con LLC has issued a letter to Indiana's Republican Governor Mike Pence over support of the controversial bill, SB 101. This "religious freedom" bill, which was passed earlier today, would effectively allow for legal protection of business owners who wish to refuse service to same-sex couples. In the letter written by Adrian Swartout, CEO and Owner of Gen Con LLC, it's made pretty clear that Gen Con is unhappy with the way this has played out.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Gen_Con/status/580450871969992705]

According to Swartout, "Gen Con proudly welcomes a diverse attendee base made up of different ethnicities, cultures, beliefs, sexual orientations, gender identities, abilities, and socio-economic backgrounds." It's obvious that they intend to keep welcoming their attendee base, as they well should, despite any decisions made about SB 101. What they don't intend to do, according to this letter, is take SB 101's passing lying down.

"Legislation that could allow for refusal of service or discrimination against our attendees will have a direct negative impact on the state's economy, and will factor into our decision-making on hosting the convention in the state of Indiana in future years. We ask that you please reconsider your support of SB 101."

Gen Con is the largest annual convention at the Indianapolis Convention Center, providing an "estimated annual economic impact of more than $50 million dollars to the city". Last year, Gen Con brought "over 56,000 attendees from more than 40 different countries and all 50 states to the Indiana Convention Center."

That Gen Con has stepped up in defense of its attendees is a great sign of hope for all con-goers who believe that conventions have a responsibility to be welcoming for all attendees. It'll be interesting to see what response Gen Con's letter receives, due in part to the huge economic boost the convention provides for Indiana.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/24/8285287/gen-con-threatens-the-governor-it-will-leave-the-state-over-indianas]

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
since the article has yet to include why its protesting against SB 101

Religious freedom restoration. Prohibits a governmental entity from substantially burdening a person's exercise of religion, even if the burden results from a rule of general applicability, unless the governmental entity can demonstrate that the burden: (1) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and (2) is the least restrictive means of furthering the compelling governmental interest. Provides a procedure for remedying a violation. Specifies that the religious freedom law applies to the implementation or application of a law regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity or official is a party to a proceeding implementing or applying the law. Prohibits an applicant, employee, or former employee from pursuing certain causes of action against a private employer

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2015/bills/senate/101#digest-heading

SB 101 pretty much means that i can discriminate against you because your life / looks / etc are against my cults belief

if it does get past i hope people will unite and create hundreds of cults in which their religious beliefs are so stupid and destructive that they'll have no choice but to remove it

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah its a shitty bill, sure. Horrible and all.
But what's Gen Con's horse in this race? Form what I can tell, its an optional bill, yes? As in Gen Con wouldn't be forced to deny all gays access to their convention. Nor would they be required to fire all gay employees.

So why is Gen Con, a tabletop wargamming convention, stepping in on this matter so...I won't use harshly because I do think its a shitty bill and Gen Con can do what they want, but why such a firm ultimatum?

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Silentpony said:
But what's Gen Con's horse in this race? Form what I can tell, its an optional bill, yes? As in Gen Con wouldn't be forced to deny all gays access to their convention. Nor would they be required to fire all gay employees.
A convention relies deeply on the city around it. If the convention itself provided all the housing, food, services, and so on, that its attendees needed, that would be one thing. But in practice conventions frequently provide little or none of that by themselves.

So, sure, the convention isn't restricted from employing or serving gay people, but those attendees are potentially subject to discrimination from anywhere they choose to stay, eat, ride, or any other service they might want to avail themselves of.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
A bill to protect those who discriminate? Doesn't that just seem so flipping backwards for 21st century America?

Also, to express religious freedoms? Yeah, I bet they approve of slavery and multiple wives too or are they going to ignore that part of their religious book?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Good call.

Feel free to call me intolerant for not tolerating the intolerant; fuck that bill. It sounds like the governor still intends to sign it so I'm curious to see just how far Gen-Con will be willing to take this threat...

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This is what you get for voting conservative. Can't Gen Con buy some politicians and make them bend to their will? On a lighter note, the first thing I thought when reading this, was can't Leslie Knope fix this?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Just when you think all the stupid ass Republicans have reared their ugly head, some other one does something extremely stupid. It's just nonsense that there is a bill that allows people to discriminate against other people. You don't like other peoples lifestyle, that's fine, you don't have to accept it. I just hope the people of the city and state don't buy into that shit. I mean, ideally, businesses that discriminate do so poorly that it's fiscally reckless to be that way.

So quick these morons are to forget the damage pre-civil rights era mentalities did to America. This is better than that as it's optional, but the results will be the same in some areas.

Otakun

May 20, 2014
I have a problem with bills like this and not for the reason the vocal majority do. I completely believe that a business should have the right to refuse business to ANYONE without the media/government/public backlash for their choice because it is their business and if they don't support something then that is their right to not to but ... when this is clearly an anti-gay bill it ruins that possibility for a business to make it's own decisions on who to serve.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
@Parasondox, quoting is broken, sorry.

The city council for the town my university is in recently tried to pass a law to prevent businesses from discriminating against same-sex couples.

The town's voters struck it down.

Makes me ashamed to live in the same state as these people.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
On behalf of my state I'd like to preemptively apologize for this abomination. I thought my state understood the whole "all men are created equal" idea; I can't express how much this sickens me.

On a brighter note, GenCon may actually have a chance to change this since it's threatening the state's economy. Governments love their money more than anything.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I neither see why the new legislation came about nor why it is only now an issue.
For those who might not know in the US any privately owned business can refuse to deal with you, has been like that since the very start, if they wanted to discriminate a specific group they were allowed to do that.
And you were allowed to tell people about it, no business would have traffic for long if people got informed about all the dodgy shit going on.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Oh good. I look forward to banning anyone who belongs to any arbitrary group I don't like.

Because that's what this law says right? Not that it has any effect on me directly, since I live in another country...

Imagine though, the shitstorm that would result if a business run by muslims decided to ban anyone they thought might be a christian...

Because, you know. Religious freedom laws would make that possible. But that's far less likely than ending up with places that ban you for being gay or something like that...

I bet if something like that happened you'd see efforts to repeal or modify a law like this pretty quickly...
Can't have legal protections to discriminate against people we actually like now can we?

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Otakun said:
I have a problem with bills like this and not for the reason the vocal majority do. I completely believe that a business should have the right to refuse business to ANYONE without the media/government/public backlash for their choice because it is their business and if they don't support something then that is their right to not to but ... when this is clearly an anti-gay bill it ruins that possibility for a business to make it's own decisions on who to serve.
Of course businesses should have the right to refuse service... when they have a legitimate reason to do so. If someone comes into your business and is creating a hostile or unpleasant atmosphere for your employees or customers, I don't care if they're white, black, gay or vulcan, you have all the right in the world to give them the boot.

That, however, isn't what these "religious freedom" bills (which, to my great shame, Mississippi was the first state to pass one in) is about. They want any business and any individual, potentially up to medical professionals depending on how you interpret the law, to be able to refuse to serve someone simply because they disagree with their lifestyle. Not having to deal with gays is probably the main factor, but being able to refuse giving out birth control, among other common fundamentalist gripes is also potentially covered. These laws are very vague, intentionally so, and they rest on the assumption of a christian majority in that state. If a muslim decided not to serve an "infidel" in Oklahoma, you can bet there'd be a massive uproar from the same people who passed their religious freedom law.

But yeah, these types of laws have no place in a secular nation (which is what America was specifically and intentionally designed as by the founders). You have all the rights in the world to be free to practice your religion... so long as it does not trample over any one else's rights in the process. When you operate a public business, the expectation is that you serve the public. If you own a deli, I don't care what your religious beliefs are. They matter shit-all to the running of your business, and unless someone is causing a problem, and/or doing things against the established rules of your business, you don't get to just toss them out. Refusing to serve someone because you disagree with who they are or what they believe is about a textbook example of discrimination as you can get. Your religious freedom does not trump anyone else's civil rights, or expectations of equal treatment.

...In an ideal world anyway. Which, admittedly, none of us live in :p I look forward to when these dumb laws are challenged and overturned at the national level. They're a cute attempt to legal-fu around anti-discrimination laws, but they're going to fall apart under any kind of serious legal scrutiny at the national level.

Smooth Operator said:
I neither see why the new legislation came about nor why it is only now an issue.
For those who might not know in the US any privately owned business can refuse to deal with you, has been like that since the very start, if they wanted to discriminate a specific group they were allowed to do that.
And you were allowed to tell people about it, no business would have traffic for long if people got informed about all the dodgy shit going on.
Businesses have the right to refuse service, within the framework of the nation's anti-discrimination laws. If someone is causing a problem, you can totally refuse to deal with them. However you can't just go "I don't like blacks/muslims/jews, so you don't get to shop here". That would count as discrimination. Sexual orientiation is kind of in a weird gray area at the moment however, since large-scale support of gay rights is relatively recent. In Arkansas, for example, it is totally legal to discriminate against gay employees. You can find out an employee is gay, go "I'm firing you because you're gay" and then fire them, and it's totally within the law.

These 'religious freedom' laws are an attempt for super-conservative states to try and hedge their bets. The writing on the wall is that gay rights are eventually going to become a national thing, but in theory, these laws allowing people to claim 'religious freedom' give them a legal technicality to weasel out of having to follow any gay rights laws that may be passed. It's a tactic being used by people who know they're on the wrong side of history and refuse to try to do anything to fix that. I don't see how these laws don't get overturned by the Supreme Court when someone finally gets a challenge up to them. Only a matter of time.

Hevach

Dec 18, 2013
As a business owner, I'll tell you these kind of laws make it impossible to refuse business to ANYONE.

After the one in my state went into effect, it became impossible for businesses to eject an unruly customer fraudulent customer without having them arrested, because it would be in the newspaper the next day that you're refusing to serve people under this law because they're something. They tried to return a HP laptop to a store that only sells Apple products? Nope, front page you kicked them out because they were wearing a cross. Teenagers racing amigos in the store and opening packages? Nope, all over the paper that you've banned Hispanics from your store. Arguing and breaking dishes in the restaurant? Nope, two page spread that you're refusing to serve white people.

You'd occasionally get these kinds of claims before, when this kind of discrimination was blatantly illegal, but the stories never got traction because it usually involved lawyers and investigations. For example, a few months before the law went through, a grocery store ejected a black customer who then claimed discrimination. The article about it was buried on page six (of a newspaper that rarely even has six pages) and noted that "security footage shows the customer appearing to masturbate in the magazine aisle"). Same guy made a claim against another store last month, and it's front page that this store doesn't want black people in their deli section anymore.

Net effect? If I want to remove somebody from the store, I've got to have them arrested and I've got to have god damn good reason, because if I show them the door, some absurd parody of the day will be in the news or on Facebook tomorrow.

It's all well and good if you really don't want to serve gay people, or maybe think there's more people who'll come to you because you're publicly sticking it to them, but then when one of those people starts shouting obscenities at another customer and you tell him he has to leave, you can damn sure bet he'll tell everybody it was because of the American flag on his truck.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Well, GenCon is named after Geneva, Wisconsin, the city where it was originally held. There are certainly conference facilities in Wisconsin. Maybe they should just pull out of Indiana?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Good for them. The governor wants to pass some law to restrict business based on opinion, then GenCon can take all the revenue they bring in for the state somewhere else too. Fun thing for them, they don't have to hide behind some law or moral righteousness, they can just say "We think you're being dicks, kthxbye" xD

isdestroyer

Mar 8, 2010
The amount of bigotry, hatred, and intolerance in this community is astounding. It seems that everyone is all for tolerance and inclusion as long as you believe what they want you to believe. I weep for the gaming industry as it slowly hangs itself on the rope of political correctness.

Let's say a gay couple goes into a Christian bakery, and asks for a wedding cake. The owners of the bakery tell them that that would violate their religious beliefs. The gay couple then goes and sues the bakery for discrimination, knowing full well that they would be refused. That is the kind of behavior that this law is designed to protect businesses from.

But of course, we can't have Christians standing up for their rights, because they don't celebrate sin the way the rest of the country does. What militant groups want is not tolerance, they want validation. They want special treatment.

Now, let the hatred flow.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
isdestroyer said:
The amount of bigotry, hatred, and intolerance in this community is astounding. It seems that everyone is all for tolerance and inclusion as long as you believe what they want you to believe. I weep for the gaming industry as it slowly hangs itself on the rope of political correctness.

Let's say a gay couple goes into a Christian bakery, and asks for a wedding cake. The owners of the bakery tell them that that would violate their religious beliefs. The gay couple then goes and sues the bakery for discrimination, knowing full well that they would be refused. That is the kind of behavior that this law is designed to protect businesses from.

But of course, we can't have Christians standing up for their rights, because they don't celebrate sin the way the rest of the country does. What militant groups want is not tolerance, they want validation. They want special treatment.

Now, let the hatred flow.
This bill is worded so that anyone could refuse service to anyone for anything, and that would make it bad no matter what. "Bigots claiming to be Christian refusing to serve gay people" would just be the most common use of it if it passed. And if I were Christian, I would be pretty offended that those bigots would use my faith as a flameshield.

OT: Doesn't this bill violate the Constitution? Separation of church and state and all that. And good on Gen Con for speaking up I say.