Gender Bending: Sex and gender in beurocracy.

Dark Crusader

Sep 3, 2008
Sorry about posting here Siler, I had only meant to reply to one little part in it, when I discovered I didn't like my reply, but since I am unable to delete my post... Yeah. You get the idea.
I have comments to add to some posts, but since I don't have anything to say to the OP, I'll shut up. [I can't make my mind up on this subject, I respect people such as those listed in here and the geniune need for this to happen, but I can also see why it hasn't happend, so I'm stuck on a wall, and I'll just shut it instead.]

aussiesniper

Mar 20, 2008
Silver said:
The amount of ignorant idiots in this thread makes me sick.

Oh, boo hoo, some guys might get a few bad looks for having long hair, that is so unfair!

Yeah... Almost all women on the planet are treated worse just for being women, from "just" recieveing less pay for the same job, to being little more than property depending on where you are.

Then it seems that no one bothers to read this thread either, but still responds to it, some even without understanding what the thread is about.

"Some people have sex with street signs"

Yes, sure, what does that have to do with anything?

Several people also say the exact same things, even after those things have been clarified.

Seriously, is this the best you can do?
I don't think that you quite grasp what this thread is about. So far, it seems to be about the misuse of the word "Gender" as a substitute for "Sex" without acknowledging that Gender means something far more detailed than Sex.

Telesque

Mar 2, 2009
There are basic biological differences between the sexes- Sexual dimorphism. It's something humans do.

But, on a case-by-case scenario? It's less important, then, because you're not dealing with generalizations, you're dealing with individual people.

It is less important to ask "Are you a male or a female?" than it is to ask "Can you lift over 70lbs?" and "Are you a capable multi-tasker?"

If, instead of specific questions regarding a person's capabilities, and not for important medical documentation, the question of 'Gender' arises, I see no reason that a person cannot mark 'the most appropriate' box- Clearly, they are going to dump you into a generalized demographic, even if you accurately respond to the question.

I'm a man, and when I answer 'Male', I am no more garuanteed to be accurately represented than a Transgender who checks the 'Male', 'Female', OR 'Transgender' box. As stated before, if not for sex-specific importance (i.e. medical documentation) the question becomes superfluous and only good for generalization, even if you're a male checking the 'male' box or otherwise.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
Interesting view, guess we just have to wait for the day when sex can be changed on a whim (which is probably not too far off surgery is becoming cheaper and faster all the time) and then we can see what gender people will apply to themselves. Perhaps the terms need to be separated completely so everyone can choose there gender. Also that way things would become so confusing that sexism would cease to exist as people would have so much trouble keeping track of who's who and treat everyone equally. And I could demand the right to wear a skirt to work or school, fun.