Gene Simmons Declares War on Anonymous

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I'd like to see what the world of piracy would look like if they had done what Simmons says they should've. The damage would be massive, and innocents by the boatloads would have ruined lives. But the act of piracy would be seen as a legitimate risk, and I'm willing to bet there would be only a fraction of the pirates there are today, which means less crazy stuff like video game DRM. And since I never participated in illegal downloading, I feel fine saying sucks to be them if it makes things better for rule-abiders in the long-run.

fgdfgdgd

May 9, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
Legion said:
JeanLuc761 said:
He's a dick for saying that he wants people to lose their homes, lose their lives and put them in jail for downloading a song that's worth $0.99
If they are that stupid to risk going to jail for that then that's their problem not his.
The problem is that the punishment is completely disproportionate to the crime. If someone stole a candy bar, or even 10 candy bars from a supermarket, does that mean they deserve 20 years in jail and the complete and total loss of their future?
Of course it is If you don't rent their product for a one time fee, only carrying around a hard copy that you have absolutely no right to rip and put onto an ipod, why? because it's not profitable, and you're a dirty communist thief if you think otherwise!. [/sarcasm]

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Will be interesting either way. I think Anonymous will win though. Gene may take out a few of them but I don't think he realized just how many of them there are.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
Personally, I think Simmons is going a bit Knight Templar with Disproportionate Retribution, to use the TvTropes terms (you're welcome), but I also relish the idea of at least a few members of Anonymous learning that actions have consequences, and they are NOT invincible. I'll have some of that popcorn being offered, if there's any left.

crunchieman

Nov 17, 2009
Well Gene Simmons seems like a bigger dick so I'm going for they guys with the smaller dick's. I don't want the well endowed to get everything.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
JeanLuc761 said:
The problem is that the punishment is completely disproportionate to the crime. If someone stole a candy bar, or even 10 candy bars from a supermarket, does that mean they deserve 20 years in jail and the complete and total loss of their future?
That's the common way of looking at it, but I've never agreed with that. I know my view isn't widely shared so I'm not trying to call you wrong or anything, but:
Would you ever steal a candy bar? I wouldn't. Why? Stealing is wrong. Sure, all "bad" things are excusable in certain situations, but I think we can agree that stealing a candy bar has to be the result of a simple disregard for law and/or moral values. Taking what is not yours without good reason is wrong. In other words, those who would commit crimes are fundamentally different from ordinary people, and common thieves are closer to murderers than to regular human beings.

If that's not convincing, how about this simple idea. How many people's lives would be ruined if that was the penalty for stealing a candy bar? Probably none, because no one would steal a candy bar if the punishment was that bad. If the punishment fits the crime, people are more willing to commit the crime. It's like opportunity cost in economics. When the US government raised safety requirements in cars, people in general started driving faster and pedestrian deaths increased. If the risks of an action, ie stealing a candy bar, are huge, then no one will take the risk. If every crime was punishable by death, only the stupidist or most insane would actually commit crimes.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
JoshTheater said:
In this particular case I'm gonna side with Anonymous. Gene Simmons sounds like a giant tool. Sue every kid who ever downloaded a song? You, sir, are an idiot, and you had this coming for making such an ass-backwards ignorant statement.
Sounds like somebody enjoys their illegal free music...

I'm on Simmon's side here. If I had to pick whether 4chan or Gene Simmons was allowed to exist, it's Simmons every time. Sorry Anonymous, but you're just a bit too fucktarded for me.

BioTox

Nov 19, 2009
I don't think either side is going to give up that easily but I don't think Simmons is going to stand against /b/ in the end. They are Legion. I am going to lurk through some pages to see if I can find some more information now. It's peaked my interest.

And FIGHT!

Fetzenfisch

Sep 11, 2009
Well i agree to " Simmons has no chance to win" in so far, that there is no chance to gonna catch them all,itll be mainly a legion of wanna-bes that follow the people that know their computing,especially in the states and maybe europe, they will be in real trouble, a signal big enough maybe; but on the other side, hacking sites and bullying kids into psychotrauma is one thing, but they aint got a chance to really hurt Gene either.

xxcloud417xx

Oct 22, 2008
One of Many said:
Well, this is going to be interesting. Can Gene kill something deathless?
"How do you kill that which has no life?"

lol no but seriously... Anon has anonymity on their side and the strength in numbers, Gene has government agency and a shitload of money on his. This will be... interesting to follow.

lol and maybe in a few years we'll be watching a new feature film called "Anonymous Kiss Goodbye" in which the tale of Gene Simmons' war on Anonymous is brought to life on the big screen! ...and then we will all download it for free... Muahahahahahahahaahaaa!!!

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Gene Simmons.. oh god. Oh god. The Horde!

As much as I hate Anonymous at times, and love them for petty revenge at others.. no one really ends up succeeding against them head-on.

Can they cancel each other out, I wonder?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Good

I don't expect him to succeed, but I'll bet that it'll attract the attention of bigger people. He says the FBI are invovled, which may or may not be true.

It irritates me that a huge throng of annoying little kids and lonely 20/30-somethings think they're like frickin' Al Capone or something. I don't care for Piracy legislation either way, but I want these f*ckless morons to be shown that the real world is REAL and they aren't the most important and untouchable 'criminal masterminds' (/sarcasm) in the world

zz_

Jul 15, 2010
I don't really see Simmons point...sure he can send a person or two to jail, but this isn't a fight he can actually win. It's not like he'll get 4chan closed down or stop them from doing stuff like this in the future.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I don't doubt that Simmons will do a little bit of damage to anon before this is over, but like someone said earlier, it is like fighting bees.
Personally, I think anon is more suited to reaction than action, but I don't think that will stop them in this case.

Unless Gene Simmons has an infinite amount of resources, and an elite team of experts to track down/catch/do anything, he is going to swing at bees while they continuously sting him, and he might hit one or two.

I personally think the phrase "don't fuck with Anonymous" is warranted.
You know those guys that make youtube videos that must've taken hundreds of hours to complete?
I always say "holy shit, that person has way too much free time"
That is the Anonymous Simmons is going to be fucking with.

This will be VERY interesting.