General anime talk, recommend me a good one :)

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
After you watch Trigun, there is no returning. It's the only anime I've actually followed since I watched Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho on Toonami in first grade with my sister.

It's really good, and even my dad watches it.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
ahappycamper said:
How bout witchblade?

Its got action and its a character driven story, did I mention half naked demon looking chicks fight each other?

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
JannixPizzalordofdoom said:
Why have noone suggested Hellsing yet? It's vampire slaying blood and gore to the end and specially more enjoying to watch if you hate Twillight! :D

One of my favorite anime themed demotivators.

Viper1265

Jul 12, 2009
believer258 said:
Viper1265 said:
Everyone should refer to this image before making any recommendation threads.

True, but that is a whole lot to take in at once, and it would be overwhelming for one to pick one out. Granted, it's organized quite well and I'm about to copy it to my computer, but it's still not good because when someone asks for a recommendation, they're looking for maybe two or three to look into.

Handy chart, but give some recommendations to go along.
Hmm, well if OP asked for martial arts which I dont watch, but if he is looking for something dark I could recommend Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magika. Only problem with that is the final two episodes are being held hostage and we may not see them for a while.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Log off of everything you're doing, find whatever website you want to watch it on, and watch it.

I command you.

harvz

Jun 20, 2010
probably one of the best anime ive ever seen (besides death note) is 'code Geass'.
if you havent seen it, i suggest seeing it :p.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-and-
Ghost in the Shell

It's up to you if you want to watch the series or the movie first, but you should definitely watch them both. Keep in mind that they are very different, and that the movie is much darker than the series.

They aren't really martial arts-focused, but I'm sure Motoko is using some kind of cyborg kung-fu between gunfights.

I can't stress this enough: It's better than everything.

ZeronicX

Apr 4, 2011
Special A(Harem,i think)
Black Lagoon
Amagami SS
and School days{hehehe ending was kind of messed up and when i mean that it will SCAR YOU FOR LIFE)

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I must be the only one here who loves Yugioh 5ds. I say its the best anime I've ever seen. And before you point fingers at me, I seen too much anime I got annoyed with it all. This was the only one that stood out to me.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Imperator_DK said:
Dark oppressive themes aplenty, it's a psychological horror mystery after all. Not much action though, and I really have to recommend this one on principle, so take that bias into account.

[sub]I'm just messing with ya'.[/sub]

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
ronald1840 said:
Ok well it seems you want an anime series that generally dark in tone, hmmm (no manga?).
Alright we'll let me be the first to say that Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood (the definite version) is by no means that dramatically emotional as it goes on. If you want arms and legs getting torn off, necks and shoulder veins being slit, and "Bad Wurdz" its got it all!

But if you don't like Full Metal for whatever reason then why not watch, Cowboy Bebop! A series where each episode is better than some whole series! At 26 episodes with hardly any filler (its not bad as Naruto filler, lol) the excitment and intrigue never stop until the closing finale!

See You Space Cowboy

Ninja'd...

OT:
I recomend Darker than Black- I friggin love that show, and it is set in a dark tone.

radarbsm

Aug 30, 2009
Xpwn3ntial said:

Log off of everything you're doing, find whatever website you want to watch it on, and watch it.

I command you.
If you do this watch til at least the very end of episode 3 because the rest of the series is like the end of the episode only better.

If you can handle gore I would recommend

Gantz

and if you liked Death Note then maybe

Monster

Extravagance

Mar 23, 2011
I just don't like anime, in the slightest.
But the first season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is utterly fantastic. The characters are wonderfully well done, and it does a good job of mocking some of the anime traditions like fan service. Defenitely worth a watch.

fishy009er

May 10, 2010
I'd recommended you any of the following.
Cowboy Bebop
Baccano!
Code Geass

They all have something in them that it sounds like you're looking for.

Also -

Teiraa said:
Shinryaku! Ika Musume. theres only 12 episodes so a good short one to watch =)

I love that show but I don't think it really fits in with his description :p

MostlyHarmless

Feb 8, 2010
FLCL!

Watch it. Now. then watch it again. And again.

Also, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Hellsing Ultimate, Kuroshituji, Lucky Star, Ouran Host Club, D. Gray Man, Trigun, etc. All good in their own way.

But seriously, watch FLCL.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I've been trying to get people to watch it for a while. I wrote a review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.275533-Puella-Magi-Madoka-Magica-Review], too. It's pretty much the best new anime this year, and is my new favorite.

Also a fan of Bakemonogatari, Death Note, Evangelion, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, and K-ON!

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
mireko said:
Imperator_DK said:
Dark oppressive themes aplenty, it's a psychological horror mystery after all. Not much action though, and I really have to recommend this one on principle, so take that bias into account.

[sub]I'm just messing with ya'.[/sub]
Haha, yeah Kai does kind of skimp on them, especially in the last arc (though I'm grateful you didn't pick something from the first episode of Rei, which is just nothing but the exact opposite of everything the rest of the series ever did right).

But still, the first season is pure horror mystery gold through and through, and Kai holds up fairly well for the first half in this regard.