General Movies, Music, Web Show, and TV News Thread

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

Holy shit, I don't even.... The least they could've done is do Lilo and Stich live-action first, and that still would've been lesser of the evil
Enough, Disney.

Enough with the god damn remakes.

Or fuck it, at least do remakes of films that might benefit from it. Black Cauldron, maybe? Not that you'd know it, but the first Chronicles of Prydain book is actually very good.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Enough, Disney.

Or fuck it, at least do remakes of films that might benefit from it. Black Cauldron, maybe? Not that you'd know it, but the first Chronicles of Prydain book is actually very good.
I swear it's the 2000s again when every studio was remaking every horror movie, whether it was needed or not. Most of them sucked and were unneeded, butchered to a PG-13 rating, or missed the entire fucking point! Looks like I am once again avoiding most movies Disney puts out, and finding watching experience put better elsewhere.

Reactions: Hawki

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Enough, Disney.

AIs will never replace mankind's creati... aaah fuck it.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Hawki

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Holy shit, I don't even.... The least they could've done is do Lilo and Stich live-action first, and that still would've been lesser of the evil
Can you smell what the Rock is cooking? It smells like shit, just like all of his movies lately. Would not be surprised at all if he demanded this movie be made.

Anyway.

It's sad that I think this actually looks pretty good. Hopefully it is actually good, and good enough to survive Gunn's purge.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Can you smell what the Rock is cooking? It smells like shit, just like all of his movies lately. Would not be surprised at all if he demanded this movie be made.

Anyway.

It's sad that I think this actually looks pretty good. Hopefully it is actually good, and good enough to survive Gunn's purge.
I know Blue Beetle isn't the only film guilty of this, but Jesus Christ, it's like the producers played a game of how many cliches they can fit into a trailer/film:

Let's see...

-Scrappy kid who dreams of making it big
-Kid has love interest who's higher up in the world than he is.
-Kid gets X, which makes him the special.
-People search for the X, which puts kid and his family in danger
-Kid starts off incompetent with X, but gets more competent with X, and becomes friends with X
-Kid learns that the real power is the one he had inside him all along, or something
-"Fascist" gets thrown around, because that's today's buzzword

I know this genre isn't exactly a fount of originality, but come on, really? It's basically "A Boy/Girl and His/Her Dragon/Ship/Suit/Whatever" just transplanted into the DCEU. And it kind of sucks for the actor too, because (I'm afraid I forget his name), he's really good in Cobra Kai, but this? Bleh.

As for the "purge," Blue Beetle occurs after The Flash, so whatever multiversal shannigans Barry gets up to, I assume BB will still at least technically be in the DCU.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Anyway.

I posted the trailer eariler today, but glad to see another fan.

After seeing the teaser for Extraction 2, they're once again pulling something from the The Raid movies (Raid 2), but putting their own spin own it. Both of the clips are time-stamped. These movies need to come out on DVD/Blu-Ray so I can watch them any time without Netflix.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Batman being "fascist" doesn't make sense, unless you're talking about later Frank Miller works, or once again being in the hands of bad writers. It feels like dumb take that from someone who hates anything Batman related.

It's basically "A Boy/Girl and His/Her Dragon/Ship/Suit/Whatever" just transplanted into the DCEU.
Which is really not that different from that version of the character's origins, nor plenty of other superheroes. It's a matter of how the film executes it though. I am interested.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I know Blue Beetle isn't the only film guilty of this, but Jesus Christ, it's like the producers played a game of how many cliches they can fit into a trailer/film:

Let's see...

-Scrappy kid who dreams of making it big
-Kid has love interest who's higher up in the world than he is.
-Kid gets X, which makes him the special.
-People search for the X, which puts kid and his family in danger
-Kid starts off incompetent with X, but gets more competent with X, and becomes friends with X
-Kid learns that the real power is the one he had inside him all along, or something

I know this genre isn't exactly a fount of originality, but come on, really? It's basically "A Boy/Girl and His/Her Dragon/Ship/Suit/Whatever" just transplanted into the DCEU. And it kind of sucks for the actor too, because (I'm afraid I forget his name), he's really good in Cobra Kai, but this? Bleh.

As for the "purge," Blue Beetle occurs after The Flash, so whatever multiversal shannigans Barry gets up to, I assume BB will still at least technically be in the DCU.
I haven’t seen the trailer yet, but assuming this is Jaime Reyes, some of the above cliche is unavoidable since the Scarab is alive and he spends his initial time with it more or less trying to make sure it doest not override his will and eventually they come to an accord. Original Blue Beetle, Ted Kord, was basically Batman with a different gimmick so going with Jamie is at least more fun. But it’s all down to execution and they could just fuckin’ botch it. I hope they don’t though.

As for fascist Batman, well, it could be that Jamie simply has a shitty first impression of the Bat and it’s a reflexive opinion that changes. But then again a decent mentor Batman for Blue Beetle ala The Brave and the Bold was probably asking a bit much from WB/DCEU

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
As for fascist Batman, well, it could be that Jamie simply has a shitty first impression of the Bat and it’s a reflexive opinion that changes. But then again a decent mentor Batman for Blue Beetle ala The Brave and the Bold was probably asking a bit much from WB/DCEU
Nah it was his dad (or maybe just general father figure) who made the fascist comment. Which I do agree with Hawki, it does feel like a line they included for the trailer. Because putting in "Batman" beside a negative adjective is soooo quirky!

But I do agree with you, the setup does indeed seem generic but that's just what Jaime's Blue Beetle is. It's not like they went out of their way to give him a more generic backstory just for the movie. Perhaps it is pretty bad timing to release this trailer right after Shazam 2 crashed and burned, they do feel like they cover some of the same ground.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Nah it was his dad (or maybe just general father figure) who made the fascist comment. Which I do agree with Hawki, it does feel like a line they included for the trailer. Because putting in "Batman" beside a negative adjective is soooo quirky!

But I do agree with you, the setup does indeed seem generic but that's just what Jaime's Blue Beetle is. It's not like they went out of their way to give him a more generic backstory just for the movie. Perhaps it is pretty bad timing to release this trailer right after Shazam 2 crashed and burned, they do feel like they cover some of the same ground.
Did it crash and burn? I actually had a good time with it, but then again everything I like is shit……hmmm.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Did it crash and burn? I actually had a good time with it, but then again everything I like is shit……hmmm.
I haven't watched it, but it sure seems to have completely flopped at the box office. Public sentiment seems pretty negative as well.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No reason to put it in the trailer then. It immediately turns me away from the movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Holy shit if people lost their minds over a Video Game. They are gonna meltdown over this.

Harry Potter doesn't even need a remake. The saga is more or less complete, and all the films are readily available on HBO Max. Not watching and she can still screw off.