Genetic Engineering: Yay Or Nay?

Dusty Donuts

Jul 16, 2009
What are my fellow escapists thoughts on Genetic Engineering?
I reckon that what's not natural evolution is not right. It seems wrong to rush something that would happen naturally and can upset the balance of nature.
Yes, I believe in evolution; please needle me about that if you wish.

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Depends on what you do and to what. If it is done in a concealed enviroment, where the test subjects cannot reproduce, it wouldn't harm nature. Ofcource holding humans and animals like that is unnatural, I'm talking mainly plants.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
If television, movies, games and books are to be believed, nothing good will come of it...

Ezzay

Feb 28, 2009
Screw nature.

If we can improve on something, then by all means we should.

Tell me right now, if human kind one day figured out how to make humans grow wings and fly, would you say "I don't want them"?

mdk31

Apr 2, 2009
Yes. I feel that when the technology is advanced enough, it should be used to improve people. Make them smarter especially. Also, should cure all genetic diseases, improve the immune system... Just improve on what nature has already made.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
Soon... Soon you will make babies the same way that you make characters in The Sims. It's depressing and horrible, so I'm very much against it.

At least I know that I wouldn't want to be what someone else made me into.

--Xvito, keeping it excellent.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
I'm against most forms of eugenics on the grounds that even if it isn't started by racist principles(as it was by the Nazis) it will inevitably end up racist. Well, I suppose the term would probably be "geneticsist" or something like that, since your worth as a human being will be seen based upon your genes.

Playing long term, it doesn't end well.

Archaeology Hat

Nov 6, 2007
We might have to use it to grow enough food to feed a growing world population so, if it can be used to help us, why the hell not?

Of course human Genetic Engineering is a big no no. But genetically engineering a new kind of wheat that produces a crop every 2 weeks? Sure!

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Xvito said:
Soon... Soon you will make babies the same way that you make characters in The Sims. It's depressing and horrible, so I'm very much against it.

Why? A child has no choice in the genes they receive regardless of what happens. You are what someone else made you into.

Chris M.

Jan 10, 2009
If we genetically modify plants for food purposes then it's all well and good but for Humans then We should see what we can do and if the modifactions make the subjects horribly insane then I will vote for installing bulleproof glass int the labs. Don't want real mutants all over the place if most of the population isn't. But as for stem-cells which are the more "Short-term" version of genetic modification I'll be danged if someone doesn't take it too far.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
It is certainly a very complex issue.

On one hand, the ability to engineer people to be smarter, stronger, taller, to live longer and be free of disease.

On the other, the widening of the gap between the rich and the poor: those who can afford genetic engineering become better and therefore find it easier to make even more money. The poor are just stuck in an endless cycle.

Overall, I believe it would be good BUT would require strict regulation.

The advance of technology is always controversial but nearly always has positive side effects.
Eg. The atom bomb spawned nuclear reactors.

lostclause

Mar 31, 2009
Dusty Pancakes said:
What are my fellow escapists thoughts on Genetic Engineering?
I reckon that what's not natural evolution is not right. It seems wrong to rush something that would happen naturally and can upset the balance of nature.
Yes, I believe in evolution; please needle me about that if you wish.
We've already overcome nature, selective breeding in animals and plants means that what exists now hardly resembles what we domesticated originally. Compare a pomeranian to a wolf and you'll see what we've done.
On topic: Genetic engineering is fine for increased productivity but it has to be carefully tested for side effects first. In humans, I'm a bit more hesitant except in medical cases.

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Xvito said:
Redingold said:
Xvito said:

Why? A child has no choice in the genes they receive regardless of what happens. You are what someone else made you into.
My parents didn't pick me from a list.

But they made you into the person you are today. Do you not think that if you had been born to two poor African people, your life would have been different?

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
Xvito said:
Redingold said:
Xvito said:

That's just what they wanted you to believe, you're actually adopted.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
bodyklok said:
Xvito said:
Redingold said:
Xvito said:

That's just what they wanted you to believe, you're actually adopted.
NOOOOOOOOOO!
Redingold said:
Xvito said:
Redingold said:
Xvito said:

But they made you into the person you are today. Do you not think that if you had been born to two poor African people, your life would have been different?
What does that have to do with my genes...? I would probably have been different, but my choices would still have been left up to me.

Anyways, to answer your previous question a bit more elaborately. I don't have any control over my genes, true. But, neither does anyone else!

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
Dusty Pancakes said:
I reckon that what's not natural evolution is not right.
Clothes aren't natural.
Nor are houses, computers...internet...

I personally am all for fucking around with genetics for fun and profit - I would appreciate it more if I could have chosen my genes, though.
Sure, hypnotizing a Big Daddy and forcing it to wreck havoc on your enemy sounds fun, but I don't think it's very practical in day to day life.

Supraliminal

Jul 18, 2009
Yay. Genetically engineering food in the developing countries, could stop famine, diseases and increase equality.

Fiddling with the human genes, on the other hand, would probably end up in some enormous changes in the world.
Gene enchanted super people, who are either hyper intelligent/strong, could fly, had psychic powers.... would tear the human race into bits and pieces. Pretty fast.