George Lucas is "Retiring" From Film

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Jingle Fett said:
Treblaine said:
Jingle Fett said:
The reason people are screaming at George Lucas isn't because he made changes...it's the fact that he changed them like 20 years after release. If the special remastered editions had come out not long afterwards or something like that while the movies were still young, it'd be ok. I have the director's cut of Watchmen and while the changes feel weird because I'm used to the theatrical version, the movie is relatively young, the cement hasn't dried. Furthermore, the original version is just as available and the altered one.

Imagine if we somehow brought Leonardo DaVinci back to life and he decided he wanted to make changes to the original Mona Lisa. Quite frankly the world would be in an uproar. It's the exact same scenario with Star Wars. After a few decades, the assumption is that the movie is done, finished, the way the creator intended. If you want to make changes after all that time, that's perfectly fine as long as the original version is still available. If it's not, you're basically forcing people to get something they don't want.
You have to be careful, the final cut of Blade Runner has come out so much later than the original release and it's considered one of the best versions.

No I think it's not quite as simple as "he changed it, how dare he" but "These changes are shit".

And how that obfuscates things, normally you should just be able to say "Hey, Star Wars, I liked that movie" with the idea that that movie is a solid thing, and if it gets better well great, but he didn't make it better, anyone can tell what a horrible mistake it has been in almost al of the changes are either zero-sum or cheapening.
That's true, but the Blade Runner Final Cut was also the only version where Ridley Scott had full creative control over the movie. So in a way, it's almost like a completely new movie, whereas Star Wars is the same movie with changes. George Lucas had control from the very beginning--him making changes now is like saying "I never made the movie how I wanted so I'm doing it now" (when he fully could have) whereas in Scott's case it's more like "I wasn't given the chance to do the movie how I wanted and I'm doing it now".

You are completely right about the majority of the Star Wars changes being zero-sum or negative, so I'd say that's also part of what pissed everybody off so much (whereas the Blade Runner ones were an improvement).
The other thing Blade Runner has going for it is the fact that the original theatrical release is still available in that special 5-pack. If the original theatrical versions of Star Wars were available on DVD, I would have absolutely no problem with the existence of the new versions since I could always just pretend they don't exist. Too bad it's only VHS :(
One thing I'd like to add is that I do not consider A New Hope a perfect film, well the the effects for the space battles are I think the best even today, they are certainly better than the best CGI today though I understand the it is WAAAAY harder to make it this way using actual models and forced perspective. But the textures are SPOT ON!

But the Special Edition did not improve in any meaningful way, it was just "fiddled" with.

Like CGI animals loitering in the background... why?!? What's the point? it's a distraction for how the CGI isn't even that good compared to, for example, the CGI in Jurassic Park of 3 years previous.

It's a testament to the cast and crew that THIRTY FIVE YEARS AGO they were able to so comprehensively include all these effects on what was - then - on a relatively small budget.

A meeting with Jabba that COMPLETELY changes his character and utterly weakens him. How can it possibly be the same character who pleads and cajoles with Han, accepts him talking back to him with almost deference. Even within the film it disrupts it as the threat of Jabba's retribution is supposed to hang over Solo to lead to a kind of conflict between him helping the rebellion and having a last minute change of heart. In 1977 he was cut for various reasons and he was originally a fat rather jovial human and a Tattoine local.

See the Special Edition Jabba was a non-threat, him being cut from the original film completely changed allowed for the sequels where Han is captured by Jabba's agent to suffer the awful fate of being frozen in carbonite in Empire and then the lengths his friend had to go to to rescue him in Return.

But what you could change, well you could make the Death Star a bit more interesting and have it really mean something as opposed to them just being on some other prison or military outpost. Like you could play around with gravity, how would gravity work for a gigantic sphere. It doesn't seem to be like a real planet as when the ship comes in to land at the level of the "equator" gravity seems to be parallel to the surface, but what would it be like with corners that bent up and around through 90 degrees with you apparently walking up and down walls.

The Millennium Falcon going to Alderaan to being captured, right through to the "Wookie Prisoner Routine" and trash compactor was perfect.

The problem is how do you get them from the trash compactor, to the Millenium Falcon even considering that the tractor beam is disabled, without making the Stormtroopers look like complete pushovers? I know it's fun to joke about "Stormtrooper level of accuracy" but the storm troopers are supposed to be intimidating. Now in the prison shootout the stormtroopers were a serious threat that forced the heroes to take a leap of faith. But if two guys, a gal and a wookie can just shoot their way out, couldn't they have shot their way in in the first place?

Something IMPORTANT needs to be done to tilt the odds in their favour, to show that the empire troops are an incredible threat and worthy of needing subterfuge to get this far.

I say this is the point where you have fun with gravity, how the Death Star clearly has a network of artificial gravitational fields. But how to tie this in more closely with Obi Wan's sacrifice and how while all these shenanigans are going on vader is supposedly always in the other room when he seem the perfect guy to fuck up best laid plans, he personally saw so the Millenium Falcon I'd like to see him clamp down the security situation in the Prison block.

I think what would work is a mass jail break, to demonstrate the Empire wasn't some reasonable authority, they were holding good people as prisoners

Also, I'm not a fan of the multiple deathstars thing.

Deathstar is supposed to be the ONE ALMIGHTY POWER! IF they can just build a second one by Return of the Jedi, why not build a third after that? Was all that was needed was killing the Emperor? If it was that easy why not focus on assassinating him? I say, have the secret to destroying the Death Star be its very mode of destruction, attacking the Huge Mega Laser will cripple it by turning its power on itself.
Give's meaning to Vader's words on the power of "The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the potential of the Force." As it was a force guided missile that blew up the Death Star. Following on with the eastern teachings theme, it's like judo, turning an attackers strength against them.

But it will not totally destroy it, it will leave it a burning wreckage in space... orbiting Yavin with their assault troops and Star Destroyer factories still intact.

2nd movie the wreak is still orbiting and The Empire have regrouped against the Rebels (in what was essentially a desperate lucky strike at end of previous film) and attack in a mass planetary invasion, so Yavin spared destruction is invaded Hoth style. That clears up why the rebels left the lush planet of Yavin for Hoth, they invade the planet via the frozen north and swiftly the empire start exploiting the plaets resources to rebuild the Death Star and establish their dominance.

Third movie, this time it's ALL IN, the rebel mission is to retake Yavin and totally destroy the Death Star which has now been made the seat of government for the Empire, moved from Courisant and the disbanded Senate. Yavin is Endor, substitute Ewoks for local resistance who stayed behind (by choide or not) when the Empire invaded and have somehow stayed alive and key to destroying their surface defences. Yeah, little furry friends are gone, replaced with humans, Wookies or whatever you can believe could be a serious match for Stormtroopers. That's also part of "y u suck so much" on stormtroopers, it doesn't make Ewok's look endearing by defeating stromtroopers, it makes them look monumentally incompetent.

So three planets/moons, Yavin, Hoth and Endor, are condensed into a single planet: Yahodor (maybe just call it Endor, I think it's the best planetoid name).

You can see what I'm doing here, I'm fixing the common comedic tropes of the series as in:
-why are stormtroopers such bad shots/fighters?
-why space station blow up from one tiny uncovered port?
-why Ewoks suck so much?

And expand on:
-Vader is a Magnificent bastard, if only he was on our side (Rommel/Jack-bauer type character)
-Empire are ultimate bullies to everyone
-Han Solo's internal conflict over The Empire and Rebels.

But that's a lot of changes, more in the realm of remake and tweak. The problem is Star Wars is pretty much 85% perfect, only 15% (in sections) is imperfect. To remake it would walk the dangerous ground of trying to either do either a direct copy of great scenes or try to come up with an equivalently good take on it.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
teqrevisited said:
To illustrate my point to him in a way I feel appropriate I would need hurl my original trilogy tapes at him so hard that the plastic would break.
Oh Deary Me! Reminds me of the fact that I have the Original 3 VHS tapes as well.
Let's have a smashing good time at George Lucas Target practice.

Then again I think the Episode 4 tape I have is where Han Shot First.....idk if I wanna give that up just yet.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Sojoez said:
Nasrin said:
"Why would I make any more," Lucas stated about continuing with his popular sci-fi universe, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Not the best logic ever...
We think you're a terrible person, George, because you made more bad films. Clearly everyone was on board with what you were doing only until you started to rape Harrison Ford in public.
The problem now is that people see a George Lucas movie and label it 'bad' just because its the bandwagony thing to do.
Seriously, How many here saw the trailer for Red Tails, said: looks awesome! Then saw/heard that its made by Lucas and thought: Oh, it will suck because Star Wars.
Actually to be perfectly honest I didn't give a damn about Lucas films making it. Red Tails looks to be a promising film and I just hope it doesn't disappoint

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
Nurb said:
He still can't get it through his thick flanneled skull: We don't hate HIM, we hate his meddling with a work that the world loved, and completely eliminating character development in one fraction of a second with a shitty edit.

Everyone would shut their mouths if he released the original unedited versions, but he's so dense he's gotten vindictive:
"What ends up being important in my mind is what the DVD version is going to look like, because that's what everybody will remember. The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30-40 years."
-George Lucas, "An Epanded Universe"
American Cinematographer Magazine, Feb 1997

He blames the fans for not wanting to make movies when he had plenty of time to make the dozen other original ideas he had put on the shelf to instead whore out star wars for merchandising since the 70's.

But then he's always been a douchebag. He fired an editor for one of the original films because the guy thought lucas' "shot-reverse-shot" scenes of characters merely walking and sitting down were too uninteresting and lazy. The only reason the original trilogy looked so good was because he had people there to challenge his stupid ideas. He actually wanted Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade to take place in a HAUNTED CASTLE! If you look at the footage behind the scenes of Indy 4, everyone points to George for the bad ideas, such as space ships and aliens... the original title was going to be "Indiana Jones And The Men From Mars". So George can't create movies for shit, but he has good ideas if others can direct them

For starters, the original unaltered version doesnt exist. The film negative was rapidly deteriorating in the 90s when the special edition was commissioned. That being said, id like to see greedo shoot first as much as the next guy, but its a minor enough change that i dont care

and by all accounts, the original editor sucked ass. he was fired because he edited the shot-reverse-shot sequences, which george later got his wife to re edit along with other talented people he knew willing to take a less conventional route.

The prequels were still better than Return of the Jedi (with the exception of episode 2, which sucks)

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom.

And for everyone saying that they have a right to be offended by his changes...you dont. Its the Auteur theory of filmmaking. George Lucas considers the movies to be a work of art belonging to him that he can polish and try to perfect as long as he wants. Almost all of his changes are good. The few bad ones? An instance of bad color correction, traces of 90s CGI, and...yeah. anything beyond that is fanboys being bitches.

look, I know Lucas hasnt been perfect in the past decade and a half or so, but look: Episode 3 was lazy in its directing, but still much better than most action movies released that year. Episode 1 may have had an unfocussed narrative and Jar Jar Binks, but it is loads better than most movies. Even Episode 2 had cool scenes so long as they focussed on Obi Wan.

Its good to see he will be going after some low key films that maybe he actually can invest himself in, but some people just crucufy him without cause
sorry for the spelling errors

Treblaine said:
FinalDream said:
. The ONE good part of the Prequel Trilogy, Tartakovsky's Clone Wars well that was too good. He pulled it from air, got a tiny DVD release then retconned it out of history with his own version (with almost the exact same title) that was monumentally worse and borderline unwatchable.

He didn't make a single change in the Special Edition that improved the film. They were just his pet peeves. .
have you seen the clone wars TV show? The more recent ones (past two seasons) are very good actually (the movie and first season are mostly crap with like one gem in the very end)

and...Most of the changes were improvements. As i said above...color correction was fixed. a few great shots in tatooine were added. the technical readout of the death star. digitally fixing obviously fake crowds in the scene where luke gets his medal. CGI jabba (albeit not impressively done for ILM but i like that scene). explosions were made to look better. CGI sarlack pit. CGI wampa. most of the changes are not noticible unless you look at it side by side with older releases (which, contrary to popular belief, are not identical to the theatrical release)

Carnage95

Sep 21, 2009
I'm glad he's retiring from film making. He hasn't made a single good feature film since the original trilogy and I don't think he will any time soon.

Hey original trilogy fans? Have you heard of the Star Wars Trilogy Despecialize Edition?

Trust me, you need to go onto Google and search this. It will take the pain away.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Lucas is a whiny nerd who can't handle anyone giving him critisicm over his 'brilliant' ideas

in roleplaying terms he'd be called a "That DM" - because its only 'that' kind of prick who'd retcon his own work just because he feels like it, change the tone of a series of completely, and water everything down just because he feels like it

heck, look at what he did to the last Indianna jones movie. It was shit. because lucas wanted indie and aliens together.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Everyone is entitled to their opinion on the recognition they will be judged for their opinion

eljawa said:
The prequels were still better than Return of the Jedi (with the exception of episode 2, which sucks)

Treblaine said:
FinalDream said:
. The ONE good part of the Prequel Trilogy, Tartakovsky's Clone Wars well that was too good. He pulled it from air, got a tiny DVD release then retconned it out of history with his own version (with almost the exact same title) that was monumentally worse and borderline unwatchable.

He didn't make a single change in the Special Edition that improved the film. They were just his pet peeves. .
have you seen the clone wars TV show? The more recent ones (past two seasons) are very good actually (the movie and first season are mostly crap with like one gem in the very end)

and...Most of the changes were improvements. As i said above...color correction was fixed. a few great shots in tatooine were added. the technical readout of the death star. digitally fixing obviously fake crowds in the scene where luke gets his medal. CGI jabba (albeit not impressively done for ILM but i like that scene). explosions were made to look better. CGI sarlack pit. CGI wampa. most of the changes are not noticible unless you look at it side by side with older releases (which, contrary to popular belief, are not identical to the theatrical release)
The Clone Wars TV show? Which one? The good one or the bad one?

If you mean the more recent bad one then yes I have seen it and I stand by my opinion. Of course you can have the opinion it's good but then again you also think The Phantom Menace and Kingdom of Crystal Skulls were not only "not crap" but some of the better entries in the series. So, that shows the relevance of your opinion!

You do NOT need a side by side comparison to notice these glaringly out of place and inconsistent changes. As a fact, that is right out, as your opinion, that seems to be rose tinted glasses.

And don't give me that "1990's CGI" excuse. You want to see 1990's CGI, from a whole 4 years previous, made in 1993 for much longer and more active shots and for the price of just one movie ticket (rather than three with original trilogy re-release), Jurassic Park;

I'm sorry, I don't see CGI there. I see a Tyrannosaurus Rex. Maybe Gorge should have called his best buddy Steve before he dabbled with CGI, though maybe he did and heard how much time and money Spielberg spent getting the CGI as utterly perfect as it is and went for the cheapest barely passable version we have.

Not only was CGI Jabba a huge technical failure but it UTTERLY compromised his character and the relationship between Han and Jabba. Jabba was changed from a ruthless and evil interplanetary crime lord to a local jovial businessman who reasons with a lowly smuggler and tolerates him back-talking to him as well as the scene being FULL of redundant exposition that Han already had with Greedo. The threat of Jabba to Han Solo was supposed to hang over throughout the entire series and was key force of conflict over his allegiance to the Rebellion.

The animatronic Jabba was FAR more consistent and integral to the overall theme, plot and characterisation of the movies.

Again, CGI Sarlacc Pit was not only unconvincing and unnecessary but the original appeal of the pit was the unknown, it was a black hole of unspeakable horrors, not another monster of the week. The "bit by a huge beak" still seems a step down in the threat escalation from the Rancor battle previously. And by the way, was that Rancor not perfectly convincing with its seamless mixture of animatronics and stop motion?

And George doesn't fix the obvious things, like movie mistakes that are fine if the audience misses them until someone points them out:

Still not fixed, not on any version.

I'm NOT against all changes, especially if they are improvements.

But that is clearly not Lucas' aim nor intention, he's clearly just adding shit in for the sake of adding shit in with the most shallow thought to how it affects the films and lore as a whole.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
webkilla said:
Lucas is a whiny nerd who can't handle anyone giving him critisicm over his 'brilliant' ideas

in roleplaying terms he'd be called a "That DM" - because its only 'that' kind of prick who'd retcon his own work just because he feels like it, change the tone of a series of completely, and water everything down just because he feels like it

heck, look at what he did to the last Indianna jones movie. It was shit. because lucas wanted indie and aliens together.
I stand by the opinion that Indy with Aliens COULD work... but not the way they did it.

Number one, the Crystal Skulls thing is a really stupid legend in itself that virtually no one has ever heard of. And the actual skull props looked monumentally cheap, like some acrylic shit you'd find in a kitchy "spiritualist" store in 2010, selling for about $49.99.

Uncharted did a better job at being an Indiana Jones thing with the mythos of Sir Francis Drake with El Dorado and then Maro Polo and Shangri La.

But then they tried to tie that in with Alien Providence ideas, which is OK if you are careful and consistent. One thing they CANNOT do is suddenly make it an homage to 1950's B-movie when Indiana Jones IS an adventure serial type movie and trying to blend in B-movie aesthetics and themes half-heartedly isn't good enough.

If Lucas did want that then he should have taken a far more radical approach and NOT made it an Indiana Jones film, instead make it a film that introduced a new main character and Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones was in a supporting role more like Henry Jones though possibly the inverse. In Crusade, Indy's father gave Indy a vital emotional and political guidance while Indy gave his father the practical no-nonsense guts to survive their adventures. How far would Henry have gotten without his "no ticket" moment.

So maybe a new series "Texas Jones and the Killer Spiders" Indy is the old sage (old Ben Kenobi role) now teaching the young idealistic kid how to kick ass knowing he himself won't be able to for much longer.

THEN, you COULD have a film that almost thematically bridges between the Space opera of Star Wars and good-old-adventure of Indiana Jones. That would be exciting, radical and profound.

But really, it's not an Indiana Jones film any more.

For it to be an Indy film you have to be utterly consistent with the Myan/South-American mythos theme and just hint at an alien-power rationale, but never make it explicit. Like how Raiders hints at the power of god but nothing till the very last scene and even then it is still all treated very mysteriously, nothing explicitly "yes, there is a God, as in the god of Christianity".

And also, you have to top this ending:

Music is all I have but just listening to it takes me back. The final conflict was not an action scene, it was a raw emotional one, challenging fear against intellect. It was a path of discovery for the characters, the final leap of faith and what that meant with final victory determined by the villain's own weakness and ignorance.

Honestly, Spielberg made Crusade as a definite final chapter, you CANNOT just go back to Indiana Jones just like that as really the ending of Crusades is an impossible act to follow. At least not in the same way. And that's the issue of vision, if Indy was to go on another adventure, what would the vision be for that?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
HOO-BOY, lemme flex my nerd muscles and here... we... go!

eljawa said:
For starters, the original unaltered version doesnt exist. The film negative was rapidly deteriorating in the 90s when the special edition was commissioned.
They made digital copies of the original film and digitally restored them, if they didn't have those copies, how do you think they made the special editions? He made several edits of the footage for the different editions/years they were released on vhs tapes and dvds which means he used the unaltered copies to make those edits. The only way they wouldn't exist is if he destroyed the digital unaltered copies, which would be a dick move and a crime by his own definition (See below)

That being said, id like to see greedo shoot first as much as the next guy, but its a minor enough change that i dont care
Minor change? Oh man. That edit completely destroyed Solo's character development. Han was a murdering drug smuggler who didn't hesitate to kill people who were trying to stop him, hence the shot through the table to kill greedo. This man develops from a greedy amoral smuggler to a person who joins a better cause greater than himself. Not only that, it was a sloppy edit that anyone says looks "wrong" visually and Greedo missing from that range with the blaster pointed right at Han's head makes the scene unintentially funny, which also removes tension.

and by all accounts, the original editor sucked ass. he was fired because he edited the shot-reverse-shot sequences, which george later got his wife to re edit along with other talented people he knew willing to take a less conventional route.
The editors and directors are what saved the films, not George. Let me list what the story editors and directors stopped from being in the final movies:
-Luke Skywalker was originally going to be a 40 year old man
-Luke Skywalker was originally going to have a robot head
-Luke's last name was originally "Starkiller"
-Lucas wanted a Wampa sub-plot in Empire
-C-3PO was originally going to talk like a used-car salesman

And that's just a few. Total control and over a decade later, we get the Gungan sea-monkey kingdom and plots that make no sense at all. I'll refer you to redlettermedia.com for full in-depth discussion on this.
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/star-wars-episode-1-the-phantom-menace/

What? I couldn't be more shocked if I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet.

Aliens in Indiana Jones is like X-Files hunting for the Holy Grail
"You are strangely dressed... for a knight"
"I'm Fox Mulder, This is Dana Scully... we're with the FBI"

And for everyone saying that they have a right to be offended by his changes...you dont. Its the Auteur theory of filmmaking. George Lucas considers the movies to be a work of art belonging to him that he can polish and try to perfect as long as he wants. Almost all of his changes are good. The few bad ones? An instance of bad color correction, traces of 90s CGI, and...yeah. anything beyond that is fanboys being bitches.
Yes. We do. He has an obligation to the people and culture to provide the original works along with his new edits. They belong to the culture as pieces of art, and editing the originals was in his own words "Barbaric". The best speech against what he did came from his own mouth years ago before congress:

"American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history. People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians.

Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten... The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests... Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself."
-George Lucas, 1988

http://savestarwars.com/lucasspeechagainstspecialedition.html

look, I know Lucas hasnt been perfect in the past decade and a half or so, but look: Episode 3 was lazy in its directing, but still much better than most action movies released that year. Episode 1 may have had an unfocussed narrative and Jar Jar Binks, but it is loads better than most movies. Even Episode 2 had cool scenes so long as they focussed on Obi Wan.

Its good to see he will be going after some low key films that maybe he actually can invest himself in, but some people just crucufy him without cause
sorry for the spelling errors
He was lazy everywhere. Did you see the behind the scenes footage of the prequels? He sat in front of two camera screens on a green/blue screen set with coffee in his hand most of the time. The actors hated on those sets with nothing to react to. They also started working on Ep. 3 before Lucas even wrote the script.

Take a look through those movies again, you'll see almost all non-action scenes will be two actors slowly walking, talking in shot-reverse-shot, stopping, turning around, then starting to walk again or sitting down on something. (A few times they start already sitting and stand up before turning around) There's even video of him with his hands on his head and look of horror on his face and others after the sceening the first cut of Ep 1 and realizing he couldn't change it without cutting huge chunks of the film.

We're also told to believe things between characters rather than watch them develop, like how a character study movie doesn't show Anakin's training and understanding of the force or developing friendship with Obi-wan, two of the most important things in the whole saga and we don't see them. Lucas' writing made Anakin a bit of an angry prick tricked into joining the dark side instead of a noble guy seduced by it.

Really! Immediately after Anakin kills Mace Windu and says he'll join the dark side to save Padme, Palpatine says "If we work together, I'm sure we will find the secret". Right then he should have been "wait... you said your master could keep people from dying! Padme is like, ready to pop you know... I think I've been had!" HEEEYOOJ plot hole!

Not to mention Obi-wan had the footage of kids being killed by order of the Emperor WHILE the senate was in session at that very moment that he could have shown and prevented the rise of the empire. (Or they could have just taken a blood sample the moment he was suspected of being a sith) SNAP!

Lazy, sloppy writting abounds when Lucas had no editors, man, and that's just a couple examples.

WHEW! That was fun. Have a good night. :)

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
krellen said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
You consider Yoda finally showing off just WHY he was a Jedi master as the single worst moment in the trilogy?
Yoda being a Jedi Master in the terms of being a Happy Fun Ball with a tiny little lightsabre is completely contrary to his established character. Yoda being "badass" is not Yoda.

How quickly we forget. "Wars do not make one great." "Your weapons: you will not need them." "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Yoda was a Jedi Master because despite his shrivled little 900 year old body, he could pull an X-Wing from the swamp with the power of the Force, not because he was a great lightsabre duelist. Turning him into some hoppy little lightsabre wielding dynamo is completely contrary to every lesson he taught Luke.
Wow, you are a sad little guy you know that?

Yoda being a Jedi Master in the terms of being a Happy Fun Ball with a tiny little lightsabre is completely contrary to his established character. Yoda being "badass" is not Yoda.
How quickly we forget. "Wars do not make one great." "Your weapons: you will not need them." "Do, or do not. There is no try."

Number one, yes wars do not make one great, but Jedi ARE expected to throw down every now and then. They don't get those lightsabers for show, and he'd just met someone who was on equal grounds with him through fighting through the force. I'd love to know what else he could do there.

Number two, no it does not go against Yoda's character to do that, and I'd love to know how you think it does. A big part of Yoda's character comes from the fact you DON'T expect the little guy to be so strong in anything. The fact that he doesn't need the force to defend himself or others is just a continuation of that.

krellen

Unrepentant Obsidian Fanboy
Jan 23, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
Wow, you are a sad little guy you know that?
We'll continue this conversation when you can do so without having to resort to personal attacks. You'll note that I have not once insulted your character, while you have continually done so.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Good, then maybe FINALLY he'll leave well enough alone... Besides, I'd like to see what he comes up with with the smaller projects...

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Strange I almost pity him...
On second thoughts, no I dont.
My reaction.

I guess this means that the rumor he was going to do a new trilogy set in the future (which, admittedly, is still the past from our perspective) was just a rumor after all.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Metalix Knightmare said:
Do NOT doubt the depths the people who greenlight shows and movies will go to. Do you REALLY want the people who created Jersey Shore and the Twilight films working on Star Wars? Cause that's what we are at risk of now.
Seriously, are you trying to make me drink myself to death with Liquid Plumber and Tang?

OT:

I can respect the man for what he's done with his own works. I can't respect the man for what he's done to the work of others.

I don't mind the prequels. I don't mind the 'additional touches' to the originals. I don't mind the vision he has for the movies. I honestly don't mind it. He made a great movie, he let others make two great movies, he made three mediocre movies. I can stomach it, hell, I can ENJOY it. It's Star Wars, the bar is set low for me to like it...I read DeathTroopers after all...(didn't enjoy it, but I bloody well finished it.

My problem is the Retcons. My problem is the decision that HE is the final arbiter of cannon. My problem is that he has made revisions and made decisions in the works of others. My problem is that he is willing to take the financing and profits from the creative works of others and then not abide by the things that he has dictated done. My problem is that the man is fine with taking the money, but he is not fine with working within the confines of the universe that he decided would be created. THAT is my problem.

I've read a LOT of comments in this thread about Lucas owning the Films and no matter what we do, he will always own them and he Has A Right to change whatever he wishes, whenever and however he wishes.

Alright, I'll give you that. He can do whatever the hell he wants with the movies.

What about the others? What about Timothy Zhan? What about K.W. Jeter? What about Kathy Tyers? What about Michael P. Kube McDowell? What about David Wolverton? What about Michael A Stackpole? What about Roger MacBride Allen? What about Karen Traviss?

What about the Games designers? The writers at Bioware, and Obsidian, and LucasArts, and a dozen other developers?

What about the TV show writers? What about the Comic Book writers?

Don't they own their ideas? Don't they have a right to their vision? They have created more in the Star Wars Universe than George Lucas ever did, and yet he holds himself aloft as the final arbiter of what is real and what isn't. Take a look at a Star Wars Chronology, how many events in that book did George Lucas create? Look in your Guide to Characters, how many of those did he create?

Lucas can make all that 'vanish' with a whim, with a word. He can eradicate the work of others, other people who own their work, who created more than him, created things that are popular and enduring...things like his original film.

Why does he get the right to decide on the validity of what other people have created? He got his money, he received his 'control' and 'direction' with many of those books, shows, comics, games and such.

Why does he own every idea of Star Wars? Even the ideas that other people have? Sounds a bit insane, doesn't it?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
teqrevisited said:
To illustrate my point to him in a way I feel appropriate I would need hurl my original trilogy tapes at him so hard that the plastic would break.
Nooooooooooo!!!!!

Don't do that. They'll be collectors items soon enough.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
You made your universe, now live with it!
Oh right, it wasn't good enough for you.
I feel as if a million fanboys suddenly cried out in joy
The thing George Lucas never really appreciated was that after he released the Star Wars to the public, it wasn't just a part of his life anymore, it became a part of OUR lives. And as the obscene amounts of money he made off the original Trilogy showed, WE liked it just fine. So when you start going back and altering/ruining with other people's memories for your own selfish reasons, you shouldn't be surprised that we got A LITTLE UPSET ABOUT IT!
Dude, I think you're just a little too attached to the movies. You can still obtain unaltered editions.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
""American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history. People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians."

The idea that American works of art belong to the public is bullshit. They belong to the artist. Though I do agree with this part, "People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians"

Deadpool062

Jul 9, 2008
At first i was like "Yea woo!" And then I read Lucas's motive and felt kinda sad. It is true that we, the fanbase, bash the crap out of him for every little change. It must be sort of hurtful when you get chastised for something you do to your creation. We probably should have cut him a little slack. Then again... "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"