George Lucas Says Greedo Always Shot First

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Doesn't George Lucas know we don't care about his re-edits of the GOOD star wars trilogy. I bought the original special editions back in 2006 just so I could have the original theatrical releases. The re-edits he did with all the goofy CGI bullshit has never and will never find it's way into my 360 or any other DVD player.

RuralGamer

Jan 1, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Zhukov said:
Are people still going on about this?
It's not "people", it's Lucas. He said this TODAY.

Uth laynuma. Chespo kutata kreesta krenko, nyakoska!
Ha ha; thanks for putting this up; best laugh I've had all day

OT: Han shot first. So what? It was in his interest to shoot first because hey, if he hadn't Greedo would have. Besides, that adds more depth to his character; last time I checked, George, Han was supposed to be a mercenary type in the beginning and shooting last would have been out of character with Han in the rest of A New Hope.

Turbowombat

Apr 23, 2008
Sentox6 said:
Turbowombat said:
Same character, not self defense. The only difference is now Greedo is halfway competent at his job. I like a character with competent villains.
Situation 1: Greedo lets his mark get a hand under the table, and gets shot.

Situation 2: Greedo lets his mark get a hand under the table, then misses him at point blank with a chest-height blaster shot, and gets shot.

Somehow, in your mind, situation 2 makes Greedo look more competent? Ooook.
His accuracy is just as bad between situations 1 and 2, the only difference is whether or not he even tried to shoot Han. The fact that he fired did show us how bad his accuracy was, but since we can safely assume that it was that bad in the original edit, we just didn't see it, then the Greedo that tried to fire is still more competent than the Greedo that didn't.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
I dunno if this has been brought up in the seven pages prior, though I did not see it.

Y'know, before this it was all about MMPA ratings. When ANH came out, there was no PG-13, so it was rated PG despite being far more violent than you can do in a PG movie today. When the movies were re-released, apparently part of keeping the rating at the lower level was changing the event so it wasn't "murder" but instead "self defense." I'll let others quibble about the meaning.

Whatever, man. I'd totally buy that. He wanted to keep his PG rating. (Insert rant about how mass extermination can be in a PG movie, but some bare skin throws you up to R here.) You got to deal with the organizations out there and their demands on your media. The real world constrains art.

I'd have stuck to that story, George. Just sayin'.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
zehydra said:
DiMono said:
This just in, George Lucas has NO RESPECT for the intelligence of his fans.

Guess what George: we just lost all respect for you, too. Go away now.
What are you talking about? I've ALWAYS thought Greedo shot first, even on my VHS collectors edition back when I was 7.

Really?

The frames to the right are the five consecutive frames that make up the shot.

The light to the right of Han's hand in the first frame is there the whole time, and is meaningless.

The void in the second frame is a shadow from Han's head and shoulder, meaning there is only one new light source: Han's blaster.

The third frame shows Greedo definitely not shooting. I don't know why it's there either; presumably bad editing.

And then in 4 and 5 he bites it.

Of course, then there's the original blocking from the shooting script:

So tell me again, how did Greedo shoot first?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I don't understand why he is so insistent on forcing people to buy into that.
But now he's trying to "interpret" an obvious contradiction?

*shrugs*
We have video footage that disproves it Mr. Lucas, despite your attempts to the contrary.

LordXel

Sep 25, 2010
Yeah, ok George, Greedo shoot first in the original version. I guess this also means that Vader shouts NOOOOOO in the original version of Return of the Jedi, we just didn't hear it because of poor audio technology.

Lucas is allowed to do whatever the hell he wants with his movies but to down right pretend that the original versions never existed, you know he properly thinks that Empire Strikes Back is the worst Star Wars film as well. Didn't he retire already? Then why are we still listening to him? Hes almost making Michael Bay sound believeable.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Maybe Greedo did shoot first by due to original filming they fucked up the cut of the movie. Doesnt matter, the film is what it is, it shows Han shooting first, regardless of what was in your original script. The film is what it is.

Stop pissing off fans. Its like being in an abusive relationship. Fans show love and Lucas keeps slapping and punching them in the face. George, you created something amazing, just live it alone even if it is full of mistakes. Do you think if someone found an original sketch for the Mona Lisa that they would allow someone to update it so the original painting looks more like what the artist intended? No. Either produce a new Star Wars movie or walk away.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Well it would be nice if he didnt slightly alter then rerelease the films every couple of years...
Or try and tie them into the prequels more...
But apparently he is retiring from films, beyond possibly "indianna jones and the sequel of a sequel that shouldnt have been made".
He doesnt say that he will stop messing around with the films though, sure they are his films to do with as he likes, but you dont see anyone else been allowed to reedit films from like 30 years ago and rerelease them every now and then, apart from bladerunner.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
The idea that a trained Bounty Hunter would miss her target at almost point-blank range is insulting to the viewer's intelligence, George.

And yes, Greedo was a woman. Check out those high heels!

CoL0sS

Nov 2, 2010
I think George is trying to push new line of T-shirts. Probably with one additional word, underlined a couple of times.
Personally, I'm surprised people still take him seriously. I believe it was Mr. Plinkett who said that original saga turned out great because people working with Lucas weren't afraid to call him out on idiotic decisions.