George Lucas to Retire

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

It seems as though he's done. He's had enough of the Blockbuster scene, and he's moving away from doing big projects.

Despite my MAJOR criticisms of him as a filmmaker, I don't know where I sit on this. On one side, I'm still bitter about how he's butchered his own films, but on the other... It's George Lucas. The part in the interview where he talks about Star Wars is particularly rough.

"Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"
I didn't think he would ever admit to that.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I can't say I'd blame him at this point. He's not exactly a genious and some of his later projects have been rather poor. But I'd understand he'd be awfully sick with his own fanbase/hatebase now that he can't do anything without apparently raping someone's nostalgia.
Although I wonder what he'll be doing in the future. Maybe worth keeping at least some tiny fracture of conscience at.

Fawxy said:
It's about god-damn time. Now, maybe we can get someone competent at the helm of the Star Wars franchise.
Well, it's still just Star Wars...

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Ham_authority95 said:
Really? Will people finally forget about the Star Wars franchise now??
No but I do hope someone fixes Lucas's mistakes such as releasing the original unaltered trilogy.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
As a fan of the og Star Wars I'm feeling very sad. But as someone who was stunned by the prequels, "its about time!"

Really though he can make some good movies just keep him away from previously established franchises.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Good riddens?

The more "work" that man does the more I am convinced that any success on his part was entierly by accident.