George R.R. Martin on "Anti-Fans".

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
"It used to be fun talking about our favorite books and films and having spirited debates with fans who saw things different… but somehow, in this age of social media, it is no longer enough to say 'I did not like book X or film Y, and here's why.' Now social media is ruled by anti-fans who would rather talk about the stuff they hate than the stuff they love and delight in dancing on the graves of anyone whose film has flopped."

Reactions: Piscian and Ag3ma

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hate to break it to you RR, but this has been problem since the dawn of Internet Forums. The only difference being Twitter is an open forum everybody uses. You're way too far behind and not saying anything new.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I am disappointed at just how much today is about how bad things are, but the major films, particularly coming from Disney are generating a lot of hate for good reason. It would be nice to start seeing a lot more enthusiasm for stuff out there. Thankfully there is some but I don't think they're typical Hollywood (Godzilla Minus One and Sisu among my favorites this year).

ITMT going even further back, Siskel and Ebert spoke of their apparent dislike of each other (they largely got over it and came to very much appreciate each other) finding that a person liking or disliking a given thing is a subjective statement about themselves so that if one were thumbs up and the other down, there was something subjectively wrong with the other person.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Hate to break it to you RR, but this has been problem since the dawn of Internet Forums. The only difference being Twitter is an open forum everybody uses. You're way too far behind and not saying anything new.
Well before that; this has been something since humans learned how to share opinions. I'm sure Thog was yelling at Thag for liking Grug's cave art.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
*Sigh* Really?

Perhaps spending so much of his time engrossed in his own thoughts and ideas and bringing them to a shareable reality has left poor Mr. Martin in a "unique" position to discount the evolution of human interaction (or maybe, more accurately, the lack thereof)? Cynicism is the way of the world. Has been forever in one way or another. Of course status is achieved by way of tearing down that which has achieved a large acceptance and appreciation. "Thankfully," social media has given each of us, from the guy working the McDonald's drive-thru to the billionaire sending people into space, the platforms to disseminate our opinions which act as a catalyst for everyone else to disseminate their own contrary opinions which in turns does the exact same in a vicious cycle. Oppenheimer worried the atomic reaction might literally destroy the world, and he wasn't wrong to worry. "Anti-fans" are but a symptom.

TL;DR? Get over it. We're doomed, and if you think discourse surrounding art is of any concern, then you'll be shocked to find how deep the rabbit hole goes when the bombs start flying. Save your disappointment for the REAL inexorable tragedies.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
I play a lot of Paradox games. I still really like them, but I reached the point where I can't stand to be around the community any more because it feels like a bunch of people who are in an abusive relationship with a corporation. Like, people who have staked their whole identity on being the "real fans" of a developer whose products they actively seem to hate but that they can't seem to just walk away from. I do not understand what causes this but I find I just don't want to be around it.

See also, people who make or watch 4 hour videos about how Star Wars is bad now (because woke or some shit). Like, dude, just watch another film.. maybe just accept that Disney isn't going to make good films and elevate yourself above that which is beneath you. Find something you actually like instead of letting Rian Johnson live rent-free in your brain meat. But then I remember that I'll happily watch Red Letter Media tear apart Star Trek Discovery for a solid hour, and I feel like my only defence is that if you like Star Trek Discovery I don't actually care. I'm happy for you. I wish I could like more stuff. That's not where a lot of people seem to be coming from.

I feel like marketing has become very good at manipulating our emotions, and very good at getting us to bond with entertainment products, if nothing else because those products are increasingly all we have to look forward to. I think people look to products (whether positively or negatively) as a source of belonging in a world that can otherwise be very alienating, which can lead to warped and toxic feelings about things that don't deserve those feelings. I don't feel like it's a trend that's going anywhere good.

Last edited: