Georgia Middle School Students plan to Break Dress Code. Suspended for Terrorism

And Man

May 12, 2014
Taken from an email response from the principal:

"The issue began last Monday when parents brought the Facebook postings to the attention of the school principal. Those parents were concerned for the safety of their own students since fights and other out-of-control behavior in hallways were among the issues identified in the postings. There were also posted threats to ?snitches.?
All threats to student and staff safety are taken seriously and appropriate action is taken."
(Source: http://pandaunite.org/georgia-principal-screams-terrorism-email-thread/)

Apparently some threats were made, and while calling them "terroristic threats" is a bit extreme, I can't really blame the principal for suspending the students. However, I haven't seen the Facebook posts in question, so I'm taking the whole situation with a grain of salt.

Also, the "writing essays on why civil disobedience is bad" part is sensationalist bullshit. Quoted from the principal's email response:

"Dr. Jones offered the students an opportunity to acknowledge the issues and to write individual, detailed essays that outlines the consequences surrounding their planned activities."

Going from "outlining the consequences surrounding their planned activities" to "civil disobedience is bad" is one hell of a jump, especially considering that there were threats and talks of violence included in the Facebook posts

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
FoolKiller said:
Aside from the idiocy of this situation there are some benefits to having a uniform.

1. It reduces the instances of people picking on each other about what they're wearing
2. It makes it harder for intruders to come into the school as the student mass who belongs there are easily identifiable.
Downsides to having a uniform, from personal experience my last few years of high school:

1.The only place you could get what was school sanctioned was either at the local walmart, that sold the clothes for 10 bucks more than the town 20 miles away, meaning that if you wanted a day of clothes for school, you had to spend $150 minimum. For a family that was already having money problems, didn't have a care, and no one hiring around that time, this nearly screwed us financially.

2.Seeing as the dress code had rules for how low your SOCKS could go, this led to alot of people getting suspended(ie, put in a room for a week at the school while still getting the same homework but with no instruction) from others higher on the school administrative totem pole(ie brown-nosing ***** students, you know exactly who I'm talking about) because they said they were being made fun of. No other reason besides someone saying someone was being mean to them and since they couldn't find another way to punish them, they checked their socks that are under their pants.

3.Teacher's kids were nearly exempt from the rules,standard for pretty much every school I knew of true, but when you have a dress code that specifically says no jeans and no t-shirts with decoration, then have one of them show up in jeans and t-shirt to school with the excuse of,"I didn't have enough time to wash my clothes yesterday" and when asked what they did yesterday that would warrant them not to have the time,"I just spent the rest of the day at my house", and have nothing come of it when it happens MULTIPLE TIMES A WEEK WITH MULTIPLE KIDS WHO HAVE SCHOOL EMPLOYEES AS PARENTS.

4.Kids "bullied" each other for what they wore even more than before the dress code, except for my graduating class since we apparently didn't give a shit so long as people didn't bother us. You had the people wearing the walmart brand, and then you had the American Eagle and the Abercrombie and Stitch wearers that talked about how shit the walmart brand wearers were for wearing such trash. Before at least you had people come up with actual insults about how much they hated a band on a shirt and being a fan of them meant you had bad taste in music.

5.Seeing as most dress codes came be summed up with,"wear a shirts that has buttons on it, don't crazy color your hair, keep your ass covered, and don't wear jeans", and you have it plastered on the wall of the front office, exactly how do you expect intruders to be noticed from the rest of the students? I'm sure every school has had at least 2 people that looked at least 5 years older than they were due to either facial structure, make-up, or excessive amounts of hair. Add onto that that most schools are packed full in the halls with maybe 50 teachers in the entire school who are all at the very least annoyed because of "that one student" or due to having personal lives as well as their jobs.

6.Then we come to the fights, which were rare in my school, but when the person being beaten is punished just as much as the one starting the fight for daring to break the other guy's nose to make them stop hitting, but because the blood from the broken nose gets all over both participants clothes and an Art class project on the walls, the one that fought back first has to pay a fine to the school district, pay for a new set of clothes for their attacker, publicly apologize to the Art projects owners, then THEIR FAMILIES for forcing the school to take them down because they were stained, and buy a new set of clothes because the mucus crap had already dried and set in the material making it impossible to get the stain out and the dress code has a policy against stains of any sort being visible, or the attacked gets put into the in-school suspension program and detention for the rest of the year, if they're not just carted off to jail. And you wanna know what started the fight? The attacker being called out for wearing something against the dress code and being told to change back into what they came to school in but because they'd come from Athletics, didn't want to wear it because it "smelled".

So, yeah, you could say I'm an opponent to any dress code going much further than "don't wear anything openly offensive, promotes violence against each other, or that sparkles." Because a strict dress code honestly doesn't do anything but punish the people that will actually follow it. Nearly every reason given by school districts for having one is a load of BS, if they really wanted to get rid of gang violence in schools, they'd do more than punish someone for wearing a red bandanna around their head to catch sweat. If they wanted to promote a workplace mindset at school, they'd actually treat the students like adults and not walking wallets with Uncle Sam pointing at them. If they wanted to promote a learning environment, they'd actually let the teachers teach the material over teaching a fucking test.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
This story seems like a storm in a teacup, if you ask me.

The principal backed down, they haven't been suspended, they just have to write an essay.

There isn't a whole lot of information there, it doesn't really say exactly what the students were planning and it seems to be dramatising the whole event.

*shrugs*

It just kind of seems like a non-issue to me.
Well, in fairness, if we didn't overreact, would we really still be Americans?