Germany Bans the Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Germany Bans the Xbox 360

A courtroom loss means Microsoft can no longer sell the Xbox 360 in Germany.

A "shock ruling" in a patent dispute between Microsoft and Motorola involving the H.264 video codec means the company will no longer be allowed to distribute its Xbox 360 console to retailers in Germany and might even have to recall systems currently in stock and destroy them. The injunction against the distribution of "key Microsoft products" in the country also encompasses Windows 7 discs and the digital distribution of Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player.

"We are pleased that the Mannheim Court found that Microsoft products infringe Motorola Mobility's intellectual property," Motorola Mobility said in a statement.

Some kind of settlement is almost certain but will likely take serious negotiations to reach, as Microsoft estimates that it will cost $4 billion per year to meet all of Motorola's demands. In the meantime, the ruling won't actually take effect until Microsoft has exhausted the appeals process.

"This is one step in a long process, and we are confident that Motorola will eventually be held to its promise to make its standard essential patents available on fair and reasonable terms for the benefit of consumers who enjoy video on the web," a Microsoft rep said.

Microsoft also recently suffered a courtroom loss to Motorola in the U.S., where a judge ruled that it was guilty of infringing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116914-Court-Rules-Against-Xbox-in-Motorola-Patent-Suit] upon four of Motorola's patents.

Source: Develop [http://www.develop-online.net/news/40667/Xbox-360-sales-forbidden-across-Germany]

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Oh wow... This is something else...
I can't tell if this is just, or just a case of patent trolling gone horribly wrong.
Why did they wait this long?

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Yet Microsoft is going to be able to keep selling systems because another ongoing case against Motorola prevents them from being able to enforce this ruling, lols all around.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
So Microsoft vs. Germany
Luckily none of them nuclear weapons
Although I'm pretty sure US nuclear arsenal runs on Windows
One day there will pop-up appear on all control terminals
"What city in Germany would you like to bomb? " (yes only single button :D )

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
Oh, this thread is gonna have so many nazi jokes, isn't it? *sigh*
You expected something a little classier? It would be as likely as a thread about Japan without it being locked due to it diverting to discussions about Pearl Harbour.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Hang on, Motorola holds the patent on the H.264 codec? That's news to me.

And I suppose we can chalk this up to another case where a major software company suffers greatly from violating a software patent yet fails to learn that software patents are a bad thing.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Someone has to make a Downfall parody over this, seriously. This just sets itself up perfectly for one.

Also, it appears no-one has yet forgotten that Germany started a few wars and had a man who ruined Charlie Chaplin's facial hair style, a sacred buddhist symbol, and how people look when they are left hanging when trying to get a High Five.

In all seriousness, I think this might make Microsoft do something a bit more than a double take and they ought to go to Motorola with some nice wine and fresh lipstick.

Calumon: They should ban Playstations! They're heavy and fall on you and you can't move no matter how hard you wriggle! D:

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Irridium said:
Andy Shandy said:
Torrasque said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
I can say I did nazi this coming.
Anne Frankly, I won't stand for it.
Really Reiching for puns, aren't we?
I love you all.

PS: Lolmicrosoft. No idea if it's waranted, but I'm glad to see em lose for a change.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This is pretty funny...
So now we will have millions of people not playing xbox in Germany. Sounds cool, everyone will just buy a PS3

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Jack and Calumon said:
Someone has to make a Downfall parody over this, seriously. This just sets itself up perfectly for one.

Calumon: They should ban Playstations! They're heavy and fall on you and you can't move no matter how hard you wriggle! D:
Someone needs to make a Hitler Reacts video to go along with this. Not only is it perfect, but it's perfect!

Slightly related: having recently finished watching Digimon Tamers again, I can appreciate your posts so much more! But then they make me want to watch Tamers again =|

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
Sir Ollie said:
Irridium said:
Andy Shandy said:
Torrasque said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
These Nazi jokes are making me Fuhrerious.
I don't know about you but I'm Goebbeling them up

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
These kinds of news always remind me of this quote:

"If the real world could be patented like software, expect to be sued every time you place one foot in front of the other to propel yourself forwards."

savageoblivi0n said:
Sir Ollie said:
Irridium said:
Andy Shandy said:
Torrasque said:
Gearhead mk2 said:
These Nazi jokes are making me Fuhrerious.
I don't know about you but I'm Goebbeling them up
Can we stop it with the Nazi puns, please; they're offensive and take me out of Mein Kampfort zone.