Get a new horror game for 1$

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Hey everyone.

First and foremost I'd like to say that I hope I don't break any rules, since this could technically be called advertising - but it also involves charity, and gaming.

At: http://afterfall-universe.com/en/index you can now pre-order their upcoming third-person-horror-shooter, for 1$. That's right, 1$. To get the game, at launch, for this price, however, the developers need to reach 10 million pre-orders, at 1 dollar each.

That's right. 10 MILLION.

What the developers will then do, is donate 10% of that to charity.

Should they not reach this number, however, and reach, let's say; 9,999,999 dollars, they'll donate all of it to charity.

As a consumer, you will only have donated 1 dollar, either to charity, or paid 1 dollar for an entire game. I think that's pretty neat, and thought I'd spread the word to help a good cause.
(Of course you can donate more, and from what I can understand you'll get 100 keys if you donate 100$, IF they reach 10 million.)

If this has been posted before, I apologize, but I did a forum search and couldn't find anything.

Here's a video of some gameplay:

And one of a guy explaining the concept:

Billyjoe Briggs

Oct 10, 2011
Without being bothered to read further than this post or watch the videos for fear of melting my pathetic modem, i'll ask:

If they don't reach ten million, will it still be a pre-order or will that money we sent be thrown in a big pile to be feasted upon by Nigerians?

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
So it's donate $1 that may or may not be given to a random charity, with a 0% chance of getting a game out of it? I'd rather skip the middleman here.

Boneasse

Jul 16, 2008
Billyjoe Briggs said:
Without being bothered to read further than this post or watch the videos for fear of melting my pathetic modem, i'll ask:

If they don't reach ten million, will it still be a pre-order or will that money we sent be thrown in a big pile to be feasted upon by Nigerians?
If they don't reach 10 million, they'll donate all of the hithero-gotten pre-order monate to charity. It's explained in the bottom-most video :)
EDIT: So yeah, I guess it will be feasted upon by a lot of Nigerians!

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
...But that makes me want to keep it below 10 million so more goes to charity.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Not a chance they're going to get 10 million.

Really they should keep it much, much lower.

newguy77

Sep 28, 2008
Rack said:
So it's donate $1 that may or may not be given to a random charity, with a 0% chance of getting a game out of it? I'd rather skip the middleman here.
Billyjoe Briggs said:
As nice of a gimmick as this is, i'd rather buy a game i'll actually receive for fifteen times as much.
You'll get the game for $1 if they reach the $10mil that they want, but if they don't reach it the dollar you gave comes off of the purchase price. At least that's how I understand it.

ChickenZombie

May 25, 2011
Billyjoe Briggs said:
As nice of a gimmick as this is, i'd rather buy a game i'll actually receive for fifteen times as much.
You pay 1$. if they don't reach their 10 million goal, you can buy the full game for a dollar less. If they DO reach 10 million, you get a game for a dollar... what's not to love?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Ten million?

They want ten million?

Fitting game title.

Besides, I don't want to risk pre-ordering a game I can't afford. I'm getting three games already next month, I'm not going to splurge on one more even WITH something like this, unless the game looks amazing...

... which that doesn't >.>

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
newguy77 said:
Rack said:
Billyjoe Briggs said:
You'll get the game for $1 if they reach the $10mil that they want, but if they don't reach it the dollar you gave comes off of the purchase price. At least that's how I understand it.
Yeah but what's that really mean? $1 off an incredibly expensive indie title I have zero idea as to the quality of? I wouldn't pay 1c for that.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
DazZ. said:

Questionable. It's like a lottery where everyone can win- Buying more 'tickets' increases your chances of winning. And it's only $1. I could see people giving like $5-$20 just to make sure they get it.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. The game comes out on the 25th? Yeaaaaah, that isn't a long enough timeframe to get the 10mil.

Whelp, I think I'll look into this game anyway. It looks like a not-too-sci-fi Dead Space. And I loved Dead Space.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
DazZ. said:

Questionable. It's like a lottery where everyone can win- Buying more 'tickets' increases your chances of winning. And it's only $1. I could see people giving like $5-$20 just to make sure they get it.
But paying more doesn't make sure they get it.
If someone came along and donated 1 million I still highly doubt they'd get it.

What's the time limit? And what are they going to do with the game if it doesn't reach 10 million?

Nikki Fallingstar

Burning Heretics
Jul 22, 2010
So... Either I donate $1 to a charity I don't know or I get a game for $1 that's not for a system I have?

I... Huh... I'll think about it. What's the time limit?

Edit: A little over a month? Really? Not happening.

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
It's certainly an interesting idea, but the thing that's stopping me from contributing at the moment is that I'm not sure what the pre-order system is.

If it doesn't reach $10M, I've pre-ordered a game for $1 that is now $34.90, so I need to spend another $33.90 to get the game. Sure. But am I forced into spending this additional $33.90? Or can I let my $1 go to charity and just not buy the game at all if I don't want to?

I watched the video and read the about page, but that's still not really clear.

As for the game itself, it looks interesting, more action-horror than survival horror though, unfortunately (though that's a personal preference). Worth keeping an eye on.

Sep 14, 2009
neat trick, and i did pre order, but say on a VERY VERY generous (5 dollars) pre order, that still requires 2,000,000 people to pre order before that month or so is over...

yeah, not gonna happen, maybe if they dragged it to december. and thats a big MAYBE