Get Custom Shoes Made From Genetically-Engineered Stingrays

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Honestly, show of hands, how many people are thinking of Suicide Kings right now? Just me? :\

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Wierd, but then again I have a pair of my dad's old baby seal and alligator boots from long ago. I'm afraid to tell any of my friends about it though, out of fear they might be closet PETA members.

Hattingston

Jan 22, 2012
VanQQisH said:
Hattingston said:
One of Many said:
Scarim Coral said:
This kind of putting me off abit. I don't like the idea of some Stingray get some pattern I wanted on it, killed and parts or most of it will become footwear for my feet. No I ain't a peachy animal right activists but I don't personally want an animal to be killed to become my clothing.
Do you wear or use leather in any form? Or any other clothing made from animal products?
Not quite the same. If I buy a leather jacket, that cow is dead. Not buying the jacket will not resurrect it. These shoes result in a unique species being bred, raised and killed because I want to make shoes out of its skin. On a related note, while the concept of custom leather is cool, the means seem...disturbing.
It is, actually. Sting Rays ARE edible and are served all around the world. Most likely, they just threw the skin away previously and have now just come up with a way to use that as well. Not any different from a cow when you think about it.
From what I understand, this is talking about genetically engineering a stingray to look a specific way so that you can kill it and then make shoes out of it. Not using stingray skins left over from stingrays killed for their meat. This is discussing making a custom order genetically engineered stingray grown for the sole purpose of turning it into an article of clothing. When I buy a leather jacket, I don't tell them to create a cow to x specification, raise it and then kill it and make it into a jacket. My problem with this is the idea of creating something just so you can kill it later. Seems kinda horrible.

Al-Bundy-da-G

Apr 11, 2011
Buretsu said:
Is it wrong that I'm thinking of a cruel joke wherein someone sends a pair of these to the estate of Steve Irwin?
If they still need a brand name they could call them "Air Irwin's"

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
*Sits down with popcorn and waits for Animal Rights groups to hear bout this*

This is gonna get interesting.

Anyone want some?

*Offers popcorn*

Solo-Wing

Wanna have a bad time?
Dec 15, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Buretsu said:
Is it wrong that I'm thinking of a cruel joke wherein someone sends a pair of these to the estate of Steve Irwin?
With these his sole could rest in piece.
Ba dum tish.

Wow talk about PETA bait. Anybody taking bets on how fast they will get on this?

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
"Wow, You can change the colour of a stingray through genetics? That's impressive, you must be pretty good at what you do. Could you perhaps do something more useful to humanity though?"
If this is real, when animal rights activists find this there will be an absolute shit storm.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Mariakko said:
"Wow, You can change the colour of a stingray through genetics? That's impressive, you must be pretty good at what you do. Could you perhaps do something more useful to humanity though?"
If this is real, when animal rights activists find this there will be an absolute shit storm.
Someone actually did such a thing. But 4 out of ten patients developed leukemia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_engineering

There are other less risky techniques being developed with promising results.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
If I could afford a pair I'd buy the shoes and try to get a third as a live specimen. What pattern? Cobra of course! I shall breed my cobra-rays as I make plans from my super-secret submerged base beneath the great barrier reef to take over Australia with an army of Cobra Rays. First Australia, then THE WORLD! Cobralalalalala!

Elamdri

Nov 19, 2009
Buretsu said:
VENGEANCE FOR STEVE!

Aw, who am I kidding. Big goofy bastard would have been upset by this.

and now I'm sad.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Back in my day, we only had save-game editors.
Now there's DNA editors?
Man, times change.

madster11

Aug 17, 2010
So basically, within the next 10 years i'll be able to buy a cow with all it's spot patterns being in the shape of dicks?

I'm totally ok with this, science.

EclipseoftheDarkSun

Sep 11, 2009
Hattingston said:
From what I understand, this is talking about genetically engineering a stingray to look a specific way so that you can kill it and then make shoes out of it. Not using stingray skins left over from stingrays killed for their meat. This is discussing making a custom order genetically engineered stingray grown for the sole purpose of turning it into an article of clothing. When I buy a leather jacket, I don't tell them to create a cow to x specification, raise it and then kill it and make it into a jacket. My problem with this is the idea of creating something just so you can kill it later. Seems kinda horrible.
Umm, most farmed animals are raised specifically for the purpose of killing them to eat them down the line. And the worst part is when they're done en-masse, using the methods developed in mass production, in an animal equivalent of the nazi death camps. Plenty of inhumane treatment hidden/ignored by many consumers..

Sounds like the free-range movement is taking off in the US now, which is good because in some major ways, fast food has been a disaster.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
Holy shit that's cool.

Not something I'd spend that much money on, but man that is cool.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
One of Many said:
Hattingston said:
One of Many said:
Scarim Coral said:
This kind of putting me off abit. I don't like the idea of some Stingray get some pattern I wanted on it, killed and parts or most of it will become footwear for my feet. No I ain't a peachy animal right activists but I don't personally want an animal to be killed to become my clothing.
Do you wear or use leather in any form? Or any other clothing made from animal products?
Not quite the same. If I buy a leather jacket, that cow is dead. Not buying the jacket will not resurrect it. These shoes result in a unique species being bred, raised and killed because I want to make shoes out of its skin. On a related note, while the concept of custom leather is cool, the means seem...disturbing.
Very true, although it could be argued that the cow was bred, raised and killed because someone wanted to make a jacket out of it's skin and you bought it.

However, I was looking more for clarity out of Scarim Coral. Saying "I don't personally want an animal to be killed to become my clothing" implies more then saying "I don't personally want an animal to be customized, raised and kill just be my footwear".
Well the only leather I own is a belt. Yes hypocrite per say but I guess I don't feel anything for my leather belt is that belt was for anyone to wear while a Stingray was killed and made for a specific person who wanted the footwear.
I admit I did had a hard time trying to worded out the last part of my sentence.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Oh wow. Just wait until PETA hears about this.

Also, who would actually spend $1800 on something that ugly.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Buretsu said:
With these his sole could rest in piece.
His poor children are old enough that they could potentially read your hurtful, insensitive jokes at their father's tragic death.

You should feel ashamed of yourselves, and immediately openly apologise and in doing so you might take the sting out of it.